Does YouTube drive you crazy?

Does Revealing Tricks On Youtube And Other Sites Drive You Crazy?

• God, Yes!!!

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Yeah

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Never noticed anything like this

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • nah

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • No.Your Crazy. Let youtube do it.

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been thinking and have came to the conclusion that youtube will be the death of magic. Youtube reveals so many tricks and takes the amazement away for other people as well, as taking publicity from us. But I want to here your thoughts so I've created this poll.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Most people don't know the name of the trick to find it in YouTube. Unless it's someone who has no life and spends endless hours digging it around, I don't think it's going to be much of problem... But after that show Celebracadabra... I might think the youtube may hold bigger problems...

Oct 10, 2007
New Jersey
I don't think this has happened yet but it could in the future and magic expolusion on video sites must be stopped.

I agree 110% Dylan, youtube has made some of my routines look bad for example after I do some tricks to some one, they just go to youtube,put the kind of affect it was and before an hour they learn how to do a trick which really _______ off, but not only that it also kills the magic. Oh yeah have any of you seen how many copyright stuff are put on youtube ex: Daniel Garcia's white or wheat........

Edit: I'm not just talking and saying that youtube have to go, but it's one of the main websites that do this get away with it and are seen by thousands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
youtube has made some of my routines look bad for example after I do some tricks to some one, they just go to youtube,put the kind of affect it was and before an hour they learn how to do a trick which really _______ off, but not only that it also kills the magic.

I'm sorry, but that only happens with kids performing to kids.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Speaking of Ruining...

I don't think this has happened yet but it could in the future and magic expolusion on video sites must be stopped.

=( Sadly , yes, some of my tricks have been ruined by youtube. People see them at school, and then go search them up by description. I don't even speak of the name of the trick, and I KNOW i don't even get close to describing it the way it was marketed. For example, I performed fraud and got spectacular reactions (don't worry, i'm not an E noob and the effect actually hits hard, so thats a plus towards my redemption for E). I got messages the net day saying "We found Daniel Garcia's Fraud online and yeah...it's ok...I tried it at home and it's not hard at all...I can't believe we fell for that stupid hoax..." I was distraught. This was only the first time. Countless times, people have questioned me about TnR and I am luckily a trained actor, so I wiggled myself out of the situation.

Anyhow, I am just going to summarize by giving out a suggestion. USE CLASSIC MAGIC EFFECTS!!! Use something that ISN'T mainstream. Buy the effect by all means, and practice it forever; and if you become perfect at the effect, enough time should have passed until people take those tutorials off youtube. EVEN BETTER, go check out some stuff in books. People will STILL freak out and react possibly even more than the mainstream stuff out there today. I have solved my issues with this youtube problem by doing so, and I hope it works for whomever else attempts this =)

-AK KOC

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Do tricks from BOOKS! YouTube "magicians" mostly reveal trick that they were spoon fed from DVD's. I hate it when I do a trick and the spec's are like "Tell me how you did it!" and when I refuse they just say, "Oh, I'll just look it up on YouTube..."... bastard.:(

almost 50% of people are with me. Is there anywa that we can get youtube to not allow this anymore. Can we send them emails or something. I t has to stop or in a few decades magic will be nothing but a small memory for those who performed it!

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
First off, who the heck voted: Nah I never seen anything like this. I mean wow.

I used to be okay with it. BUT NOWWWW I hate it. Tube Noobs are revealing stuff. yEah. You probably thought more huh. I don't know what else to type.

Like that kid revealing torn too.

"Basically, you pool it out, like that. And it restores itself."

Yeah. Suck that Fhit.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Do tricks from BOOKS! YouTube "magicians" mostly reveal trick that they were spoon fed from DVD's. I hate it when I do a trick and the spec's are like "Tell me how you did it!" and when I refuse they just say, "Oh, I'll just look it up on YouTube..."... bastard.:(

There's a solution. Just do something different that nobody knows about.

Oct 18, 2007
I'm going to make up the statistic that 9.9/10 people who find YouTube magic tutorials aren't merely browsers looking for videos, but people who are looking for a start in magic.

No, YouTube won't ever kill the experience of magic. Ever. YouTube tutorials are how I got my start, and there is a lot of s#!t out there but there are some good quality tutorials for simple tricks and basic sleights for beginners.

Ultimately if you can't wow a spectator you aren't doing your job right. Instead of b#$@!ing about exposure of well-known effects try and come up with your own!

Reactions: Lord_Magic
Magic will never die. Not untill there is someone out there that still enjoys it. Enough with the Youtube exposure threads. Yes they expose magic but who cares. The only people whi look it up eventually get into magic or they just love it deep in there hearts so much that they must know how it is done. Also why do you guys keep hating the new show celebawhatever. If you think that show is bad then why don't you hate David Blaine or David Copperfield. There shows were bigger and made people wonder more. 90% of you guys tried to find out how they did there tricks and became magicians. Youtube shouldn't bother you unless if it really is hurting you. So if you really hate youtube then move your ass and try to stop it. Don't just sit in a magic forum and say the same **** over and over again.

P.S Sorry if this offended anyone( don't know how it did):p but I just wanted to let everything out.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with YouTube. I'll start by telling you my views from both sides of the fence.

Why I Hate YouTube: :mad:
Exposure. There are countless, countless exposure videos on YouTube, some even exposing some of our favorite effects. I've seen many exposure videos of effects like Stigmata, Fraud, Greed, I even came across an exposure video of Distortion. Most of these videos are removed when legal action is taken, but that's not going to stop them all. There are alot of immature so called "magicians" out there who have this sick idea in their head that if they reveal effects, their videos will get more views, and their channel will get more subscribers. Let me tell you right now, this is the absolute stupidest way to gain views and subscribers. It's low. If you really think you are a skilled magician, it's alot cooler to post up performance videos than to post exposure videos. I don't care what other people say. If you want me to consider you a "good magician", show me some performances, not revelations. It's low, it's unethical, and it's just plain stupid. A real magician would not reveal secrets to get views. Come on guys. Let's grow up.

Why I Love YouTube: :D
Let's face it, magic exposure on YouTube will NEVER end. It's inevitable. Unless they make some kind of world-wide law about not posting magic exposure videos on the web, it will never be stopped. But instead of complaining about it ALL THE TIME, let's try to look on the bright side of this situation. Alot of people who see exposure videos on the Internet, they get inspired to get into magic themselves. I'm not one of these people, but I've met some really good magicians who said that the reason they got into magic was because they learned a trick on YouTube, and was hooked. When people reveal effects on the Internet, it not only gets some people into the art, but it also inspires our wonderful magic creators to create better, harder-hitting magic than ever before. As long as there are masses of exposure, there will be masses of new creations. And that's my view on it. Also, YouTube gives us "real magicians" a great opportunity to advertise ourselves. I don't care if it's a video of you performing in front of a webcam, a street magic video, or a video of a stage performance, if you're performing for YouTube, you're advertising, and you enjoy the benefits of it.

So like I said, there are alot of things that hurt magic not only on YouTube, but all over the Internet. But, at the same time, this exposure helps magic in some ways. I'm not going to say I absolutely HATE YouTube, and i'm also not going to say I absolutely LOVE YouTube. As for now, i'm on the fence with this one.

Anthony Bass

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
YouTube doesn't drive me crazy, but I don't like at all that "youtubicians" community that has formed there. It is not going to destroy magic, but it destroys some beginners.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Eh, what are you going to do? I've decided to try and get over the whole exposure thing.

Really, one way to stop yourself from being paranoid is to just not buy stuff that the "youtubicians" think is cool - stuff that isn't plastered with "cool and street" names like Warning and Sinful and get some books that have effects that are called The card that goes in the middle face down but turns face up anyway. Yeah, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

Basically, these little twerps will only flock to names like Wayne Houchin and Danny Garcia, not names like Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue. Use it to your advantage.

I know exactly how it feels. Even people stop me when i perform and say to everyone that i'm turning 2 cards as one and it's called a double lift.

Ofcourse i stop at that moment, and a good tip is to get the crowd to shut him up.
For an example i've had it before, and improvise by doing a clipshift color change.

But soon there will be a clipshift dvd :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results