Why aren't there any negative reviews on Ellusionist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
lol, you people dont seem to read or have a very basic understanding of laws.
Canada is different than america (go figure)

but using the link you provided, there is nothing saying "obtaining pirated material is illegal"

infact it only sayd "reproducing copyrighted material is illegal"
that being- you buy the dvd from theory11, you rip it, you upload it, and you send it to your friends.
The person who baught it and MADE IT AVAIBLE online is the one doing the illegal act, not the Joe Shmoe who downloaded it from this user.

Does this make sense?
No. But welcome to the world of Laws and Legislation.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
why cant i edit my posts? err. i click it then it just loads forever

anyways
as for the box monster thing.

I knew what was used in it- that being an elastic thread of some sort (uh oh exposure, ban me now)
what i wanted to know, if it was the same thread that i already had, such as yigals, or was it something completely different/thicker that was made specifically for the trick

The dvd talked nothing about the type of string at all, except it was an elastic one.
Thats why i wanted a dirtect answer before i made a purchase, as i wouldnt want to spend 20$ on something i dont need/already have.

Thats how busisness are supposed to be run. A customer has a specific question about a product they may want to buy, then the company should do everything in their power to assist that customer with his/her needs.
not say "buy it and find out"

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007
First, copyright laws are international. Canada and the US both subscribed to the Warsaw convention, so yes, the laws of copyright apply equally to both of us - go figure.

Now, Canada has deemed downloading on peer to peer sites as legal, however uploading to that site is ILLEGAL. So, if you are using one of the peer to peer programs that allow the material on your computer to be accessed by others, you are breaking the law.

Brad Henderson

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Im in the safe house then
download music from ******* for example, move the folder into my own music folder, thus deleting the path of my file/*******, and no peer to peer action

Dec 14, 2007
why cant i edit my posts? err. i click it then it just loads forever

anyways
as for the box monster thing.

I knew what was used in it- that being an elastic thread of some sort (uh oh exposure, ban me now)
Thats why i wanted a dirtect answer before i made a purchase, as i wouldnt want to spend 20$ on something i dont need/already have.

Thats how busisness are supposed to be run. A customer has a specific question about a product they may want to buy, then the company should do everything in their power to assist that customer with his/her needs.
not say "buy it and find out"

So, you had the thread, but had never considered using it in that application? So, you feel it is ok to take the idea of that application and use it without paying for it? Does that idea have no value to you? Clearly, you had not considered it before - or you would have been doing it already.

Shouldn't the person who came up with the application be paid for their work and idea?

Or should you be allowed to take any idea you see and use it - just because.

Brad Henderson

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Ya know, I see this thread way off topic from its original intent. I also bring up how pointless it is to have an argument for this long on the internet.

Steerpike, your points may be valid, but Phenomena will not change his mind no matter how many valid points you show. You'd do better bashing your head into a brick wall, as at least that will show a dent of work over time. No need to waste your time. Just let the topic die. Unless you're arguing with him for fun. Then by all means continue.

Phenomena, if you know the laws, and you are right, then you have no reason to have to prove yourself. As I said earlier, let this topic die and be done with it and get back to actual useful discussion.

Im in the safe house then
download music from ******* for example, move the folder into my own music folder, thus deleting the path of my file/*******, and no peer to peer action

Actually, no, you aren't in the clear. The very nature of the ********* protocol uploads to others as you download. Therefore, you ARE distributing content as banned by Canada law. So, by using any torrent, you are breaking the law. End of story.

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
in other words saying ...

Very mature.

This conversation has been very enlightening. You'll find no one on this forum who will take your side on this, but since you only seem to care about yourself, I doubt that will affect you very much.

I know I can be a pain to deal with. I'm opinionated, narcissistic, and crass. But even I know when to admit I'm in the wrong for my actions.

You're done here.

Steerpike, your points may be valid, but Phenomena will not change his mind no matter how many valid points you show. You'd do better bashing your head into a brick wall, as at least that will show a dent of work over time. No need to waste your time. Just let the topic die. Unless you're arguing with him for fun. Then by all means continue.

I've grown war-weary listening to him, actually. He's gotten it into his head that he doesn't have to abide by anyone's rules if they're not convenient for him. It's a damn good thing he'll never make it as a professional.

Oct 27, 2007
Eastern Seaboard, USA
If there's a merciful mod on this site they'd lock this mofo down, 11 pages of pure B.S. *

*of course that would just fuel the next thread "Theory 11 mods sensor the forums!!!1!" LOL:)

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
The reviews for E products are all positive if you view the product on their website. But if you look at their forums, there is a section for E product reviews and there are a few negative reviews.

Normally I wouldn't reply in a thread like this but I think that I will in this case.

Page 1 of the Product Review.
http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80194
http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72786

Two threads that are negative and no one was banned for their comments.

Before I buy anything I read reviews on several different sites and sources. I have some reviewers that I trust over other reviewers. Brad Henderson is a trusted reviewer.

As a Moderator at Ellusionist I have never been instructed to delete negative reviews. I have corrected spelling and removed internet slang and have closed threads that lead to fights.

Dec 14, 2007
That's very kind of you!

I think the issue here is two fold:

One, I think there is a line of tolerance that may be drawn between negative reviews and statements deemed critical of E. There is no doubt that posts have been deleted and topics locked - it's a forum, it's bound to happen. However, I do not think it fair to suggest that they are so thinned skin that anything at all remotely critical is going to get the heave-ho.

Nevertheless, if I were someone who made a post that was deleted or led to my banishment and I read that someone wrote: "Oh that never happens." I think I may feel the need to say something to counter that claim. Of course it happens, it's a private forum run by a profit making organization. My personal issue is with honesty. To deny this happens is dishonest. To embrace it, and take whatever criticism which might befall you, is the honest thing to do and in the long run will earn far greater respect of those who might even feel wronged. To deny that what they experienced never happened...that leads to these kinds of disputes.

Second, the official policy - and the restrictions placed on most moderators there - may limit their abilities and prevent them for deleting posts. I have no doubt that Steerpike, for example, has never been told to delete a post because of critical content. However, as we all know, that does not preclude other people in the organization from doing so.

However, if I were Steerpike or Sleeping Jag, if I were to read something that implied that moderators on my forum were deleting posts, and I knew I had not, I might feel a touch indignant, perhaps even outraged. To read this almost implies that I have engaged in this act. And that would be a faulty conclusion for one to draw.

As is the case in so many of these discussions, it is perhaps best if we do not let things affect us personally. A criticism of a forum is not always a criticism of people who work on that forum. A criticism some actions of a forum should not be taken to apply to all actions of all moderators.

In short, I think that to deny that people have had posts removed - to those people who have experienced it - is to deny them their truth in reality. Likewise, to accuse (or implicitly accuse) all moderators of deleting all posts critical of the company is also to state a claim that is probably inherently untrue to most of those people's experiences.

I think it is fair to conclude that some people here have had posts deleted which they felt were rational, reasonable, and critical of E; and that there are well meaning moderators who are interested in fair posts who have not been told to delete critical comments.

Brad Henderson

Jan 27, 2008
Someone please close this thread.

Hey, let's see how many more people can say, "Please close this thread."

Get rid of the high-and-mighty attitude and I might believe you honestly want this thread to be closed for reasons other than asserting your sense of superiority on others.

..:Z:..

Feb 23, 2008
Houston
www.myspace.com
I acutally started a thread about 8 months ago on the E forums about products that people thought were completely crap or dissapointing. Soon after I started the thread they shut it down saying it would cause too much controversy/arguments (somewhere along those lines), but I think that there's a thread on their now that is about being dissapointed with E products. Also a lot of the kids that are on E are the whole "You-tube" people who think that anything is awesome, and will rate it a 10 just because. I've only reviewed one product for E and it was Fraud *pure genius* and I gave it a 9 or a 10, and I felt compelled to make a review because of how well I think about it.

Sep 2, 2007
Guys,

Just wanted to chime in. In addition to some members requesting that this thread be closed, numerous more members have requested that it remain open because they would like a chance to express some of their opinions.

That said, the thread will remain open for now; however, all discussion should remain civil and professional. Additionally, if there are any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to send me -- or one of the other moderators -- a PM.

Thanks, guys!

Sep 9, 2007
Upon reading this thread, I was left to wonder one thing...

how does one go about proving a thread was deleted? With the exception of a before and after screencap, there's not really much of a way to prove that a thread existed after it's been deleted. asking someone to do so is pretty unreasonable.

Hey Guys,

Now I just wanted to throw my ideas out. I have read a lot in this thread and yes, most of your opinions make sense. I kind of blanked out on the piracy thing cause that was an unnecessary topic in this thread.

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76745

I have posted this on the E forums last November regarding the Black Ghost Deck and my opinions regarding said deck.

And nothing happened. I didn't get banned or the thread didn't get closed. A lot of people in this thread also participated in this discussion as well. It was a very civil and intelligent discussion for the most part. Steerpike had great thoughts on this because they were thought out. Sure they are blunt, but they made sense.

My thoughts being: A) Can we get back on topic here? B) If your opinion is well thought out and intelligent, yes your opinion will not go in the dark. (i.e. deleted, closed, banned, whatever.)

Just threw that out there,

Mitch.Conroy

Jan 27, 2008
My thoughts being: ... B) If your opinion is well thought out and intelligent, yes your opinion will not go in the dark. (i.e. deleted, closed, banned, whatever.)
Why is it that nobody bashes you for not integrating those traits into a positive-scoring review but those traits (and others like eloquence and level-headed-ness) are absolutely necessary in order to write a negative review?

Why is it nobody bashes you for writing a positive-scoring review very poorly (lik gramer misteks everywha' and no puntuaction n stff lke tat) but they'll bash you (very bluntly) for NOT writing a negative-scoring properly (like with proper english, punctuation, and stuff like that)?

Also, if there's some slight animosity in the speaker's tone, so what? Why stoop down to their level and humor them/fuel the fire? I've seen moderators act so hostile, some will do anything it takes to win the argument (instead of simply ignoring the person) even if it means sacrificing an entire thread. I bet if you would stop being so blunt and act more adult-like, the challenger will act civi as well? Instead, you guys on-purposely make it a personal fight and everything goes all whacky and crazy!

I have to go.

*IMPLODE*

..:Z:..

Sep 1, 2007
Why is it that nobody bashes you for not integrating those traits into a positive-scoring review but those traits (and others like eloquence and level-headed-ness) are absolutely necessary in order to write a negative review?

Actually, I've had words with people about that.

Why is it nobody bashes you for writing a positive-scoring review very poorly (lik gramer misteks everywha' and no puntuaction n stff lke tat)

I do. If someone is from a non-English speaking country, I generally am nicer to them, but if they're using internet slang, I don't put up with that. If you're typing in your native tongue, you can use your fingers instead of your elbows.

I bet if you would stop being so blunt and act more adult-like, the challenger will act civi as well?

I tried being nice before. Guys like you just walked all over me.

Instead, you guys on-purposely make it a personal fight and everything goes all whacky and crazy!

Glass houses. You were given an apology, and you threw back in the face of the one who gave it to you. You can stop this victim crap, because nobody wants to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results