Bicycle Vintage 1800's Series Deck // Review

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
Official E Spam:
Vintage Series 1800 Deck

Ancient, worn and cracked. 1800's are ripped from history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No detail was left untouched-- artwork on each card was delicately hand-crafted by Ellusionist's top graphic team. Even the seal on the deck looks like it was left in a gritty New York alley "for a spell". The cards are an illusion in themselves, because they may look very old, but they handle better than anything out there. You have to keep telling yourself, this is a new deck of cards.

Available in red or blue backs, you'll quickly understand why these cards are so popular when you start using them yourself. It's like holding a work of art in your hands.
http://www.ellusionist.com/product/accessories/cards/vintage+series+1800+deck.do

The Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appearance

THE BOX: Looks really nice, very deceptive from a distance. The detail is great and even the sticker is burnt and worn. Best card box there is IMO. 10/10
qo9286.jpg

JOKERS+AD CARDS: Nothing incredible, they do look cool, and you get 2 jokers that are the same design which i like, instead of a 'if the cards are...' joker. The ad cards have the same cool backs and fronts, and so look good, but carry the little slogan to get you to buy the 1800 'trick' decks, which funnily enough dont exist...8/10

CARDS: Look INCREDIBLE, no other way to describe them really. Each card has a seperate amount of 'wear' with some being slightly dirtier or more cracked, very nice. The court cards look better than the number ones, because the detail is so intricate, and the backs look just as awesome. And i dont even use that word. 9/10
16k25x0.jpg

Handling

FANNING: These cards do not fan well (yet they somehow carnahan well enough). The artwork has meant that the finish has suffered, and sometimes you do not get a nice even fan. However, with work, and if you work on it, you can get a decent fan and spread. Edit: In a very short space of time, they clump like a b!tch. 5/10
rrqupz.jpg

FINISH: The finish i'm still unclear about. Its not the UV500, and its not clear what it is. Anyway, its different at first, and i quite liked the feel, they work really nicely in chops (sybils etc). However, they weren't too great for molecules, as the cards started sliding, but its to be expected from a new deck. Anyway, theyre great for aerials and armspreads, and to be honest i dont mind the change from linoid. But some people will so its only an 8/10

CARD STOCK: Now there have been quite a few negative reviews regarding the card stock, but i honestly dont mind it. Its slightly thinner, which makes DL's a lot less noticeable, and the cards are still nice and crisp. I did an ADBD and they flew up just as well as normal bikes, and they are perfect for the 'kickflip' in the skater cut, they seem to spin more which i love! +D
Some moves, like the duck change, took getting used to, but the stock is fine for me. 8/10
jb1dhw.jpg

DURABILITY: Fan wise, awful, cut wise, fine. Not as long as tallys but seem to last a while with good care. 8/10

PRICE/QUALITY: $5.95 may seem a little steep. Yet i payed around $9 for them because i live in England! Anyway, these cards are expensive, and rightly so. The artwork was what i was after here, and i certainly got it. I didnt go for a new 'everyday working deck', i wanted a single, custom deck. I have tallys to use everyday and i can never see that changing, but these cards are so fun to pull out and use, its fair enough to pay that price, though many wont agree with me. 9/10

I have wanted a custom deck for a while, as i dont usually buy them. Most of you will prefer Guardians or Centurions or hell, even Black Ghosts. But i can't, like many Brits, afford to pay for shipping if im just wanting 1 deck, including customs it comes to a lot. I really like this deck, i wanted it for the artwork and in the end i got what i wanted. It was never my intention to find my next favourite deck, but people love the looks of this deck, and i do too. It's probably not for many hardcore XCM'ers, but is decent for cardistry and has lots of potential for magic. All in all

9/10

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Hey, one thing that I think you should mention in case you haven't yet, is that the cracks are generic. Performing magic and flourishing with these, it's not noticeable, but here is what I want you to do. Get a bunch of heart cards. Look at the upper pip. You will notice that every few cards will have the same cracks. The backs of the cards are the same way. In my opinion they don't last as long as E's other decks. I also don't like the feel that much. I've had MANY different opinions about it as this deck in my opinion is quite odd... Every few decks would feel different. My most recent deck RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX (and it stayed that way) clumped like crazy. It was as though I used the deck for a few weeks. However, other times the deck will be as smooth as ever. With this deck, it's honestly random. I recommend to everyone to pick up about 3 of these if any at all to make up your opinion. I do enjoy using them occasionally, but when they clump right of the box then I get very mad.

Here is a fun easter egg for you I bet you didn't know! Look at the box, right under the letter P. (I think it's the P, if not look around. ;)) In very small letters as a crack, it will say JBone who was the designer of the cards! Fun fact for you right there!

Anyway, I hope you liked my mini review/easter egg of the deck. I disagree with your opinion, but they do indeed look very cool.

-Doug

I've used this deck for a while and the only bad thing happens to this deck it's lost the airflow finish too easily. After using this deck for a month & you'll know what am I talking about.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Here is a fun easter egg for you I bet you didn't know! Look at the box, right under the letter P. (I think it's the P, if not look around. ;)) In very small letters as a crack, it will say JBone who was the designer of the cards! Fun fact for you right there!

Anyway, I hope you liked my mini review/easter egg of the deck. I disagree with your opinion, but they do indeed look very cool.

-Doug

Hmmmmm. I wonder where you got that from, DOUG. Maybe a 12 year old boy thats actually 14 that can't, doen't perform. hmmmm.

Aug 31, 2007
the fanning is HORRID, they fanned like they wre from 1800.

they look cool but i dont like how all the backs are the same

D

Deleted member 2755

Hmmmmm. I wonder where you got that from, DOUG. Maybe a 12 year old boy thats actually 14 that can't, doen't perform. hmmmm.

I don't know where I got it from... someone on the E forums posted about it a few months ago... I have no idea what your trying to say in your post, that I'm 14 and can't perform because I'm simply pointing out something kind of interesting?

-Doug

PS: I'm not 14.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
I don't know where I got it from... someone on the E forums posted about it a few months ago... I have no idea what your trying to say in your post, that I'm 14 and can't perform because I'm simply pointing out something kind of interesting?

-Doug

PS: I'm not 14.

Oh Doug. The 14 year old thing was for me. Remember the comments on my Pop over move?

And for the where you got it from, I thought you got it from me because I made a thread about it here.

That guy on the E forums must have seen it here and decided to share it to everyone and he didn't really discover it.

I did.

I even sent an email to E about it.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
this is all great, but i actually cant find it! :p, and the deck is still holding up well, its fanning was never great, but for packets theyre mint, i got my first 720 spin skater cut with these, so i dont care what happens to them now... :D

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
Yeah, they fan VERY bad. But I like to use them for flourishing (cuts). I think they look cool. Great review anyway :)

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
thanks, the fans are pretty weak, i dont have any fanning powder but i guess that would help.... but for cuts and art, theyre awesome... :D

Oct 27, 2007
Eastern Seaboard, USA
1800's...design wise, very nice. Handling, well, it leaves alot to be desired. Clumpy doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg, they are amazingly chunky. Also, they seem to have a petroleum type smell to them (inks maybe).

Outside of a theme deck/trick/stranger card they have limited use IMHO.

Also if you all haven't noticed, they are effectively one way decks as well.

Apr 8, 2008
if they had different back designs... it would be pretty weird, since you would PROBABLY learn to memorize which card back is which... and doing tricks with those would SURELY be unfair... :p

Mar 20, 2009
Al Wakrah, Qatar
Something cool!!!!

Heres something cool abut these decks that you might not have noticed

Take the ace of spade card and hold it right side up.

Turn it over so that you are looking at the back(the card should still be right side up).

If you look at the bottom right corner, you will see a dark patch in the corner and none of the other three corners have these.( see attachment)

Even the bottom side with this patch is darker than the top side.

This is the same with all the cards.

So arrange all the cards in such a way that all these dark patches are in the same direction and hand your spectator the four aces. Then make them put it in different parts of the deck but with the dark patches facing the opposite direction. So then have them shuffle the cards and then you deal them out fast or slow(its up to you) face down. I f you are holding the deck with the lighter side up then look for the cards with the darker sides. deal only these four cards face up and the spectators will be amazed that you found the four aces using an IMPOSSIBLE method.

Have fun!!!1

Attachments

• patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 236
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results