Approaching People?

I like doing street magic but I get turned down a lot. I was just wondering how you guys would approach someone on the street? I do it like this:

I walk up to someone who doesn't look busy, and is a good mood. I then ask if they have a moment. If they say no then I thank them anyway and leave. If they do then this is what happens:

I reach in to my pocket and pull out my cards and say I just want to show you something kind of neat really quick... and don't worry I'm not going to make any of your money dissapear."

that's what I do and I get rejected a lot. I also say the dollar thing in a joking way. So what can I do to get more yes's instead of no's?

D

Deleted member 2755

I like doing street magic but I get turned down a lot. I was just wondering how you guys would approach someone on the street? I do it like this:

I walk up to someone who doesn't look busy, and is a good mood. I then ask if they have a moment. If they say no then I thank them anyway and leave. If they do then this is what happens:

I reach in to my pocket and pull out my cards and say I just want to show you something kind of neat really quick... and don't worry I'm not going to make any of your money dissapear."

that's what I do and I get rejected a lot. I also say the dollar thing in a joking way. So what can I do to get more yes's instead of no's?

The money thing is kind of.... blech..... You can always say you are a performer and have a show in an hour so you were wondering if you could show them a few things real quick

-Doug

Well, what I do is, I extend out my hand, and introduce myself.

"Hi, my name is (insert name here). I am a magician. Can I show you something?"

I think that if you don't tell them that you're a magician, then they'll think you're trying to mug them or something.

My introduction lets them know who I am, what I do, and asks permission to do it.

Hope this helps!

;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Hi, do you have time to see something cool?

or

(btw, this one I got the guy to say yes)
Hey, is it alright if I show you a card trick?

Oct 10, 2007
New Jersey

I think that if you don't tell them that you're a magician, then they'll think you're trying to mug them or something.

My introduction lets them know who I am, what I do, and asks permission to do it.

Hope this helps!

;D
"
I agree with Vague, also ask them their name, and I would leave anything to do with "money disappearing out out them" away, that also could scare them and make them turn you down.

I also think Vague's is a good approach, just my wisdom on this;

Don't ask "May I borrow a moment of your time?" I was nervous and kept saying this polite phrase awhile ago, present that you're doing magic or people will be unwilling to find what you want.

~PaCo

Sep 1, 2007

Hope this helps!

;D

This is a very good answer. Always be polite when you arrive or leave. But do go ahead, say you are a magician (illusionist or mentalist or whatever you call yourself) and ask them if they want to see an effect (tricks are what hoes do for money). If they say yes then cool, good to go, if they say no, say "ok thanks" and leave immediately with a smile on your face.

Heres the easiest route for getting past peoples defenses that I have found. This works when you have a friend especially a fellow magician to help you. I'll start doing magic to my friend and as people walk by they usually just stop and start watching thats it. It works trust me try it and you'll be amazed.

At this point I'll let my friend start doing some magic on me and people will stop and I'll be Oh my freakin god how the hell did you do that man this guys good. haha It works everytime. Once someone stops you finish with your friend and introduce yourself and say hi I'm a artist who changes peoples life with magic would you like to see something?

Then you show them Stigmata and they immedetley become Athiest. No Im just kidding bad joke

But try this I think you'll be amazed at how easy it is to get an audience. By the way this only works if you are a good entertainer. No offense but you have to be doing good to keep their attention.

Shane

I don't like to say I'm going to do magic or that I'm a magician because then I'm not one step ahead anymore. It's much better to do magic when they're not expecting it. I usually don't say anything. I just start floating a dollar bill somewhere by myself. People always end up crowding around me. I then pick out the people I think will be most responsive and I start doing magic for them.

It also helps to have a camera over your shoulder. I think if people see that someone's filming you, they think it's more worth their time to see what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
"I'm an artist who changes peoples lives with magic?"

Come on, I don't 'change peoples lives' but I do entertain them for 5 minutes.

I don't think walking around with that attitude is all that great.. my opinion

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
Sometimes is sit with my magic friend and do some flourishes, then sometimes ask me if I'm a magician, then I start to perform. ;)

If I walk up to someone I say something like this:

- Excuse me, do you mind if I show you something? I'm a magician.

Then if they say Yes, then I pull out the deck for example.

Heres the easiest route for getting past peoples defenses that I have found. This works when you have a friend especially a fellow magician to help you. I'll start doing magic to my friend and as people walk by they usually just stop and start watching thats it. It works trust me try it and you'll be amazed.

At this point I'll let my friend start doing some magic on me and people will stop and I'll be Oh my freakin god how the hell did you do that man this guys good. haha It works everytime. Once someone stops you finish with your friend and introduce yourself and say hi I'm a artist who changes peoples life with magic would you like to see something?

Then you show them Stigmata and they immedetley become Athiest. No Im just kidding bad joke

But try this I think you'll be amazed at how easy it is to get an audience. By the way this only works if you are a good entertainer. No offense but you have to be doing good to keep their attention.

Shane

Definitely the way to go. As long as the fellow magician isn't broadly announcing his/her dialog which would make it seem obvious.

And if that doesn't work, that's why they make Fire Wallets.

Quick Story involving a fire wallet:
I was at a Bob Little Convention earlier this year and a couple of magicians and I went over to Hooters for dinner. Now, we were in Bensalem, PA and since we were outside the Philadelphia Area, I was allowed to smoke in the restaurant. But I forgot my Zippo. So I'm digging in my pockets trying to find a light and I feel my Fire Wallet. So I lit that thing up and lit my cigarette and look to my right. It was a waitress just staring at me like she was going to drop her tray full of drinks. I had her. I started doing a few effects for her a couple others From there I think almost every magician came over to our table and was showing the waitress' different magic effects. I=awesome :D

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Get people to come to you..
float a bill, hover card etc

if your in a place with passers by, itll always attract someone

or for another example, get friends to get people for you by reacting..
iwas at a bar/restruant on monday with 3 buddies watching the hockey game, one begged me to do magic for them, so i did stuff

They were extremely loud, got the attention of others, eventually i had about 15 people around me..

figures though when i went to do invisible palm, the cards didnt stay together, so i messed that up, but overall no biggy

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results