Kennedy Half Dollar 1964?

PatrickKun

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.patrickkun.com
I have noticed that a lot of gaff coin made from Johnson or Schoolcraft are dated 1964. I'm wondering where can you get new 1964 that I could use to match with the gimmick coin. What I have are the new 2004 half dollar and I'm a little concert that the coin will look different because I think the newer coin feels a little thinner than the older coin. I'm considering getting a flipper coin as well. Are Johnson Flipper any good? Also, does any one have Copper/Silver/Brass from Johnson? I'm wanting to get all these gimmick set but still thinking whether I should save money and get one from Jamie. Thanks for helping guys.

Sep 2, 2007
I don't think you can find "new" 1964 Kennedy halves. Maybe on ebay but that won't be cheap. If you are thinking about learning coin magic, get yourself a good quality set of coins. I would advise you to go for Jamie Schoolcraft or Todd Lassen. If you want to be serious with your coin magic, It's better to save money and get one good set of coins.

Sep 3, 2007
Go to the bank, ask the teller for a roll of half dollars. They have 20 half dollars rolled up, so chances are you'll find the date you're looking for. I personally am big on having the bicentennial halfs from 1976. And the half dollars that don't match, you can use. They are money after all.

Sep 2, 2007
I am not sure if you can get them at the bank. The 1964 Kennedy half is really special because it was the only year they made the coin in silver (90%). It can't be compared with other Kennedy halves. The clink sounds really nice =).

Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma
I am not sure if you can get them at the bank. The 1964 Kennedy half is really special because it was the only year they made the coin in silver (90%). It can't be compared with other Kennedy halves. The clink sounds really nice =).

I'm afraid that your wrong bout 1964 being the only year, all coins (except the penny) were made with a silver inside up until 1965 (1964 being the last year because of a silver shortage). I have a few Kennedy halves and personally I keep them put up.

-SM

Do a search for a coin show in your area. There is likely one every month, at least that is the case for where I live. Or go to a coin dealer, also there is likely one in your town or close by. Either place will be able to provide you with 1964 halves in a variety of conditions including uncirculated (i.e. new) and you will not have to pay for shipping. While you are there you can pick up any other coins you might find useful and often they will have $2 bills at cost with are great for use with any bill switch routine. You can use your spectator bill, turn it into a $2 bill, give it to them and it only costs you a buck. I would not do that all day but it makes for quite a reaction when you do it once during your show or do it at a party for a pretty girl.

Sep 2, 2007
I'm afraid that your wrong bout 1964 being the only year, all coins (except the penny) were made with a silver inside up until 1965 (1964 being the last year because of a silver shortage). I have a few Kennedy halves and personally I keep them put up.

-SM

In my message, i said "they made the coin", i was talking about the kennedy half dollar. So I don't think i am wrong as it was the only year they made it in silver.
Concerning the other coinS, i can't tell.

Sep 24, 2007
Actually, the coins were made with a 40% silver content up to 1971.

All custom gaffers will get you coins in silver, unless you specify otherwise.

Dec 2, 2007
My 1999 and 1964 half dollars look the same to me. I dont do a lot of "Remember the date" tricks. But go to the bank and buy buy buy.

If you bought every half dollar in the bank, you would not get a single 1964 silver half dollar.

The best advise is this:

If you don't do tricks where it matters if the coins "talk" (i.e. make noise when rubbed together) then the silver 1964 Kennedy half is a very pretty (and visible) coin, which will usually still have nice milling left on the edges.

If you are on a tight budget, go to Jamie Schoolcraft's site and order just the '64 Kennedy "expanded" gaff.

Once the gaff arrives in the mail, take it to a local coin shop and ask for "junk silver '64 Kennedy's". Usually they will dig up a coffee can with anywhere from a dozen to twenty or so coins. Go through the coins one at a time and see if they fit your gaff. (Be VERY careful and don't force anything or you may end up in a 'stuck' situation!) Once you have a group of coins which 'fit' well, then start looking at the edges and faces to look for obvious nicks, scratches, etc. Buy at least four and a couple extra if you can afford it. (By the way, they will probably think you are insane... This is normal...) :)

Take them home and clean them up. Silver polish probably isn't necessary (and could possibly be toxic considering you are going to be handling these a lot!) Toothpaste usually works fine. I'm sure other people use other things to clean coins, but read the ingredients carefully! Many silver cleaners can cause cancer! Since I perform tricks where coins appear to come from my mouth, I'll stick with the tooth paste.

Hope this helps,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2008
New york
I buy every half dollar in the bank once a week thats about 9-15 coins at any given week,not a lot but i do hit silver now and then. 3 silver halves out of 7 the other day. I can almost see the "Crack heads" walking into the bank with a sock full of someones coins they just happen to "Find". this is my best explanation to why i been getting good results at banks in Brooklyn N.Y.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results