Ellusionist - Losing Touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING: I intend for this topic to be only a discussion and not a debate or become disrespectful to ellusionist. So please keep the critisism to a level or I'll have the moderators close this.

Has Ellusionist lost its touch in the magic world?

It has become apparent to me that ellusionist, theory11's brother site, may be coming to an end soon. It looks like many of Ellusionists artists have began to leave the site. Wayne Houchin now is part of theory11 and Justin Miller is semi-retired. I think that ellusionist has lost many people and can no longer find people who are willing to be part of them.

For example, Ellusionist is very against the exposure of magic anywhere. However, they have recently advertised their whole site in celebracadabra. Also, on one of the commercial breaks I noticed that it said: " If you would like to learn magic for free then go to www.**************.com. Here Ellusionist will reveal one trick a week." I blurred that out to avoid exposure. I decided to see what they were talking about so I visited the URL.

At this page anyone can see a performance of a trick and then the tutorial taught by brad christian. I was very angry with this. Now, not only magicians can see these tricks but so can interested people who fing celebracadabra cool. It seems E is also dicounting many things like the street magic set as well as d lites and other things.

So you tell me your thoughts. Has Ellusionist lost its touch? and if so, how long before they disapear?

Tell me your thoughts

Dylan P.

Dec 13, 2007
no... they sponsored a tv show (which i'm not sure how successful it is), they are the largest internet magic store, they just released the "hottest" (though i don't hink so) deck out there, they're far from going down

D

Deleted member 2755

Justin Miller is semi-retired.

I don't know why people think this. :) He simply doesn't perform for a living. He quit Ellusionist 2 years ago and releases things on his own and with Kozmo Magic. Go to www.closeupjm.com to get some of this stuff shot with Kozmo. You can register for his forum. He also has a few DVDs coming out this year with Kozmo Magic and he also plans on having some instant downloads available soon. He still creates ;)

Anyway, no Ellusionist has not "lost their touch" at all. They are rich and are still making a ton of money. Especially with their new release of the BGD recently... they are doing fine. I'm also sure that they will find some new magicians to join them. Believe me, they are far from done. Plus... they have the money to sponsor an entire show! If they were poor... they could not afford to do this.

By starting sponsoring a show and advertising on television... they are doing just fine. Believe me. They are not poor at all.

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
Actually what they have been doing is awesome, for a business. Which it is by the way.

They give a link to learn a free magic trick. That trick then gets someone excited about learning more so they order the new bundle on their main page. Boom! $50 in the bank. Plus, as a magician can you really tell me you only bought one DVD/Trick when you first started? I know I didn't.

Plus, how did you get excited about magic in the first place? Did someone teach you a trick? Did you watch a video? Was it Copperfield in the 80's? Penn & Teller? Remember we all started somewhere. You, W:H, DG, Jay Sankey, Jeff McBride, even Blaine and Angel.

I personally welcome this. Imagine all the new tricks that will have to be invented so we can keep our spectators on their toes. Especially if they know the ones being taught on the beginners magic DVD's.

Dale

Sep 1, 2007
Now, not only magicians can see these tricks but so can interested people who fing celebracadabra cool.

I find this rather telling.

Amazing how many magicians would see the art stagnate and die a slow, suffocating death than rotate any new blood into the scene for fear of the empty safe they guard that is their methods.

Jan 27, 2008
For example, Ellusionist is very against the exposure of magic anywhere. However, they have recently advertised their whole site in celebracadabra. Also, on one of the commercial breaks I noticed that it said: " If you would like to learn magic for free then go to www.**************.com. Here Ellusionist will reveal one trick a week." I blurred that out to avoid exposure. I decided to see what they were talking about so I visited the URL.

Wow. I'm not surprised. They kept telling everyone that they would not expose magic but this?!

I'm a bit skeptical though. I know this seems very audacious of me to ask but I would like some more proof. Perhaps you can PM me the URL?

It looks like many of Ellusionists artists have began to leave the site.

IF E pulled that crap, I wouldn't want my name to be associated with them, either.

I think that ellusionist has lost many people and can no longer find people who are willing to be part of them.

I don't find that surprising.

At this page anyone can see a performance of a trick and then the tutorial taught by brad christian. I was very angry with this. Now, not only magicians can see these tricks but so can interested people who fing celebracadabra cool.

I'm starting to feel more skeptical now.... I have a feeling these guys are pirating or something because I highly doubt Brad would allow this.

So you tell me your thoughts. Has Ellusionist lost its touch? and if so, how long before they disapear?

Those guys will never disappear. Believe me.

Jan 27, 2008
I find this rather telling.

Amazing how many magicians would see the art stagnate and die a slow, suffocating death than rotate any new blood into the scene for fear of the empty safe they guard that is their methods.

You condone E (or a pirateer in disguise, I'm not sure) for exposing on the side? They kept telling everyone that there will be absolutely no exposure on the show but they're gonna allow commercials that will reveal secrets to magic? What a contradiction...

Wait, now that I look at the wording, they're not lying. They're not going to expose anything ON THE SHOW. But they've never said anything about commercials! How clever.

But I thought them saying that they wouldn't reveal anything on the show also implied that they wouldn't allow indirect exposure through the commercials..... I'm baffled!

..:Z:..

Dec 13, 2007
guys... if one of u worked really hard on creating an effect and you put it out on the market... wouldn't you want to make as muc money off of it as possible... remember magic is still a business

Sep 1, 2007
California
Guys,

You have to know everything is business.

They will do anything that will make people buy anything. Very rarely will you see something good come up now a days.

You guys have to know that the magic business is all about, sales, money, and money.

Why do you think we have people visiting exposure websites. It is not going the best it could be right now.

That is why I dont buy "New" "Cool" dvds, or new custom decks.

Everyone needs to know that they should just stick with a couple items and they will be fine.

This is why I say this, Books are goldmines for magic.

Its true. What you find in a E dvd is something you would find in Card College, or other great classic books.

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Although I bought quite a few dvds from Ellusionist, I admit that they have become more business based.

I don't see the point of creating custom decks and selling them unless those decks are meant for card collectors.

"Custom Black Playing Card Deck so you can perform Magic Tricks like the pros (Normally $6.99)" This is what they stated in the advertisement for the street magic bundle. Does playing cards help you to perform like the pros? No.

I hope this will be changed in the future, I don't want to see Ellusionist go down.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
What is Flow And the Astonishment
project?

I'm not sure what the Astonishment project is, but flow is a trick that is coming out soon. Basicly, you get a bottle and take the cap off, you then turn the bottle upside down but the liquid inside the bottle stays in it. There are no caps or anything that is holding it in there.

If you watch the teaser for it you can see that the spectator sticks her finger in there and she can feel the liquid itself, stuck. And then give the bottle a shake and then the liquid comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results