Why are you using half dollars and silver dollars?

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know much about performing with coins, so please forgive me if I asked a stupid question.

What do you say to the spectators if they ask you why you're using half dollars or silver dollars instead of the common coins in circulation? Will just answering "Because they're bigger" suffice?

Sep 2, 2007
Yes "because they are bigger". If you happen to do stage magic, or even strolling magic for old (blind...) people, it helps to have big coins ... Try a 3 fly with pennies ...

May 2, 2008
I believe we magician use half dollars or sliver coins due to the fact is a big advantage for us. you see in a certain stage of a magician life in performing coin magic we do need gaff coins to perform as what the spectator like to see as the "true magic" trick. Using coin shell does make a different then really using a extra one coin . "With a shell it make every thing look cleaner"

And the us half dollar gaff coins is easily to purchase all around the world. In certain part of the world having gaff coins of it very country is illegal.

Secondly , using half dollars can sparks interest to the spectator as some of them never seen a US coin before. They will ask question where they come from, and we can use their question to our advantage to present our coin trick better.

Thirdly, I like to use sliver coins because it shine better and the spectator can truly "see" the coin going in the palm thou we make be doing a fake transfer. It does make the effect you performing look better and also it make a class to you then the rest of the guy who just know a trick or 2 . Using a US sliver half dollar show that you do put in effort in what you trying to master.

We use bicycle cards.. in card magic why? Because we are the real men learning the real stuff. The same will also goes to coin magic.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I use silvers not only for visibility but for the sound they make. They have a ring to them rather than just a dull clink. Also, half dollars are the perfect size for my hands. I can clasic palm a Kenney like it was made for my hand.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2007
Are you asking this to find out, or asking to give an exscuse to your specators? i mean, you won't be able to say to your specatators "I use half dollars because they are easier to conceal." You would probably say something like "I used to use pennies, but nobody was impressed when something 3 milimeters by 3 milimeters vanished."

Sep 1, 2007
My questions was what do you say to the spectators if they ask you why you're using coins no longer in circulation. What's your "excuse" for using it.
I'm not really asking why you use them. The title might have been slightly misleading.

So to everyone who answered my question, thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
I live in Australia and I do magic with only Morgans and Walking Liberties.
My excuse is that I just like them because they look pretty. Also they are slightly bigger which is good when I do parlour type performances.
Other than that, its always nice for me to give the audience a bit of a history lesson about these beautiful coins.
It makes little difference what coins you use.
People who say its really "suspicious" don't really have a clue what they're talking about. As long as the audience can check out the coin and make sure its legit then everything is fine.
Of course if they insist I use the local coins to do a trick, I would oblige. That has never happened to me.....

Dec 2, 2007
My questions was what do you say to the spectators if they ask you why you're using coins no longer in circulation. What's your "excuse" for using it.

This question is probably best answered by the premise of the coin effect.

Take for example the classic effect from Bobo's called "The Gadabout Coins" (page 182 of "New Modern Coin Magic") or any of its more modern variants (such as Dan Watkin's "Sticky Coins".)

Three coins are introduced, two go in the left hand and one is placed in the pocket. When the left hand is opened it contains all three coins, one having apparently traveled from the pocket to the hand. This is repeated three times, then the coins vanish leaving both hand entirely empty.

Is the magic occurring because you have special powers and are causing it to happen, or because of some peculiar quality of the coins themselves?

If you are lucky enough to find some matching Barber halves in junk silver at a local coin shop, you could try to get matching dates. Like for example 1902. Before bringing out the coins you could ask, "Have you ever seen a half dollar? How about one that is over 100 years old?" If there is any interest in seeing such a thing, bring out the coins and have them examined. Call attention to the dates and say something along the lines of, "All of them are exactly 106 years old... And they have been together all that time, can you believe that? When I found them they were together and every time I try to separate them (place one in the pocket) this happens (open left to show one has jumped back)." Etc, etc. "I even thought I lost them once (final vanish) but I was relieved when I found that they all had jumped back into my pocket!"

This is clearly a case where common, "modern" coins would not generate as much interest.

Maybe it isn't even the coins at all. Find a "vintage" sports jacket that looks like someone shot and skinned a couch. Wear it around until someone calls attention to it, then say, "Yeah, horrible isn't it? Looks like someone shot a couch!" When they ask why you are wearing it, say "The lady at the thrift shop said that it use to belong to a local magician... I didn't believe her at first, but I tried it on in the dressing room and noticed that every time I pull on the material, this happens! (produce a coin from the cloth, show it and then draw attention to the date.) "Look! This coin is over 100 years old! (or from the 40's if you are using walking liberties, etc.) Keep producing coins (flurry style) and putting them in your pocket. After the fourth of fifth coin, pause for a second like your thinking and then say, "Hey, do you know where a person can sell silver?" Before they can answer, glance into the breast pocket and then start pulling out a long rainbow colored paper streamer that keeps going and going and going (mouth coil)...

The last example was just plain silly, but you get the idea. :D Create a premise which answers the "why" before you are even asked.

Hope this helps,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Sep 24, 2007
Whoah! That John Ramsay cups-and-balls idea with the silver streamer applied to a coin routine was really clever!

Sep 13, 2007
Franklin, OH
Whenever I'm asked about the coins I use, I generally say that I use them because they're not something you see every day. I use several worn silver dollars, and I say that I like them because they have a lot of character, like a trusty pair of jeans that have a ton of holes but you just love the jeans too much to get rid of them. Old and familiar resonates with people, and they end up having a greater appreciation for the coins after that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results