Unicoin by Chris Kenner

Sep 1, 2007
The Trick: Unicoin, whence four and only four coins venture from one right hand to the left, one at a time, only to lose their collective nerve and all-at-once return to the right hand.

The Magician: Chris Kenner (that is, the same Chris Kenner who brought us the fun house of sorts known as Totally out of Control, who is the same Chris Kenner who brought us the whoopee-cushion of magical publications as the Magical Man Examiner; that very same Chris Kenner).

The Place: Theory 11's 1-on-1 section, where one may be schooled in only the finest of sleight of hand training, or so I am told.

Alright, enough of that.

Unicoin is an impromptu 4 coins across, with a surprise ending, taught by Chris Kenner, based on a routine by Ross Betram.

The Teaching is uniquely Kenner's. He goes over each sleight in depth, while still having a good time. The video clocks somewhere in the ballpark of fifteen minutes.

The sleights themselves are not particularly difficult to grasp, however, they may take some getting used to as seems to be true with most unfamiliar coin sleights. This is a very fun routine to learn. This is definitely something to pick up if one is even only casually into coin magic (as I am). There are some variations on some of the phases, so if something isn't working out, there are options.

Verdict: No real complaints, just a pretty standard coins across routine with a nice twist, pretty short, so probably better for strolling.

Sep 24, 2007
I'm just wondering... is a purse palm involved? if so, i don't think i'll be picking up this particular 1on1.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not quite sure if I'm at liberty to say...

Let's just say that I had not come across all of the sleights before. There were some that were rather bold. It is worth learning, though, in my opinion, if only to learn the sleights. It all-in-all adds a cool minute-long trick to your repertoire.

Sep 1, 2007
To be honest in my opinion, the structure of the climax and what happens just before is greatly flawed. A feint is introduced leading the spectator up the garden path by having him believe he just saw the performer transfer the last coin into his other hand.

The performer opens up his hands to show all the coins have rejoined the coin in the other hand.

The spectator is initially fooled and surprised but then will shortly remember and realise that when they thought the performer was putting the last coin into his hand they will realise he actually did the opposite and placed all the coins back into his other hand (regardless of whether or not that was indeed the method)

Hence the lasting impression of magic is completely gone and all that remains is a puzzle of how the rest happened which just isnt important for the spectator

- He or she 'knows' what you did at that point and therefore 'knows' how you did the rest of the effect, that is even if they think about the rest of the effect.

Just my 2p

Sep 1, 2007
i havnt got this, but it looks like it uses the same sleights as 4 coins and one dog or whatever it was called

and that was a sick trick

might buy it later on

Sep 1, 2007
To be honest in my opinion, the structure of the climax and what happens just before is greatly flawed. A feint is introduced leading the spectator up the garden path by having him believe he just saw the performer transfer the last coin into his other hand.

The performer opens up his hands to show all the coins have rejoined the coin in the other hand.

The spectator is initially fooled and surprised but then will shortly remember and realise that when they thought the performer was putting the last coin into his hand they will realise he actually did the opposite and placed all the coins back into his other hand (regardless of whether or not that was indeed the method)

Hence the lasting impression of magic is completely gone and all that remains is a puzzle of how the rest happened which just isnt important for the spectator

- He or she 'knows' what you did at that point and therefore 'knows' how you did the rest of the effect, that is even if they think about the rest of the effect.

Just my 2p

Well, so far I've performed this on five different occasions and have not once had that problem. You seem to be describing the thought process of a magician and I don't think it's meant to be a magician fooler. The misdirection is very good. The only thing I might say its similar to is Tenkai pennies, but the sleight is entirely different, and it serves an entirely different purpose.

It's a magic routine, not a puzzle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results