Derren Brown's Awesomeness!

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Um. Ninja.... it's important to realize that sometimes the EXPLANATIONS are as big a part of the effect as the SETUP. In other words, he just might be lying to you about HOW some of the effects are accomplished.
If you are looking for real Svengali like super powers then you need to look somewhere else.
For example, the paying with paper effect is influenced by Luke Jermay's thinking on the subject. It can be found in a set of notes called "telling tales". This is not exactly Derren's method, but it's pretty close and you could probably work out a different handling yourself. It also comes with a nifty idea for a stunt called "Memorizing Google" in which you memorize ... well... google. Not all of it. Just the first three or so entries under every search topic you can think of.
Just warning you though.... Jermay's notes will burst your bubble a little bit.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Also, there is footage of Derren performing the paying with paper scam in both Europe and the US. Several of Derren's signature pieces from England were re-shot in the US for broadcast.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Oh God. I tried the paper scam a few months ago and boy did it go bad.

I went to TARGET to tryit out, I got the 2-pack bikes. So I got in line, ready to say the "Headache, recommend..... bblalablah. I gues I did something wrong or something but it didn't work.

yeah.

The cashier was all feeling them and was like" Whats this?" Um.

I was like, "I'm not really going to buy them." ****. I'm not trying it again.

Oct 28, 2007
Oh God. I tried the paper scam a few months ago and boy did it go bad.

I went to TARGET to tryit out, I got the 2-pack bikes. So I got in line, ready to say the "Headache, recommend..... bblalablah. I gues I did something wrong or something but it didn't work.

yeah.

The cashier was all feeling them and was like" Whats this?" Um.

I was like, "I'm not really going to buy them." ****. I'm not trying it again.

HA! that is awesome!!!

i will try it a couple times and see how it goes, i think the hardest part is not laughing! :p

Sep 24, 2007
Paying with Paper is NOT a Jermay plot (although his is probably very good) The plot gos as far back as Dunninger or Anneman.

I think Building Blocks will do a lot for your "Derren Brown" styled mentalism, and i've heard "sleight of mind" is good for your magic/mentalism/hypnosis/NLP.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Dearest Chicken.
I did not claim that Jermay is the originator of the paying with paper plot. I simply said that Derren's performance is influenced by Jermay's thinking on the subject.
The plot precedes Dunninger and Anneman by at least 2,000 years. There is a very old Chinese story about a boy who pays for items his family needs with rocks instead of coins.

Thrallmind, I did not read this information. I was told this by Luke. I was trying not to be a namedropper.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results