Distortion - Review

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
First off....WOW...I ordered cheap shipping...and somehow its on my door today :D Well now for the review.

Effect: This is a two card transposition, but not your average one...this is different. Two cards are used in the routine. The first is placed on a specs hand very cleanly. Then the remaining card is waved and the pips visually move and change into the card that was on the specs hand. And yes...you guessed it! The card on the specs hand has changed into the other card!
Grade: 10/10

Gimmick: The gimmick is hand made and it shows. I can tell a lot of time went into making this one card, and for that I am thankful. However there are a few little areas which could have been better, like the orientation of one pip is a tiny bit off, but its not a big deal. Overall I am very happy with the gimmick, but treat it kindly and listen to Wayne's advice on caring for it.
Grade: 8/10

Performance: They show Wayne performing this in a few locations. This is very nice to see how different groups react and how great it looks even on camera. The angles are great just as if you were watching it, no cut aways or anything.
Grade: 10/10

Explanation: Wayne clearly goes over the gimmick first to avoid any problems with the gimmick, I really liked that. Wayne then taught each move involved while slowly going through the routine. The routine was then gone over again a little faster showing each move in depth. Finally he showed a performance that was dubbed with explanations - very helpful.
Grade 10/10

Other thoughts: I enjoyed this DVD very much. The production quality is great, only problem was that it wasn't secured, so it was a little scratched upon arrival - no biggy. Wayne did a great job with the routine and it is highly recommended if you are willing to take care of the gimmick and give this routine the time it deserves.

Overall Grade: 9.75/10

Adam

Aug 31, 2007
Thank you for this! I have ordered the shipping 1 up from cheap shipping(I still haven't got it. rofl..). This is very helpful, so I now know what to expect!

Very nice review!
-P54

Aug 31, 2007
Greenville, SC
Ok so really in all honesty...does it seem like the gimmick will come apart or mess up easily?jw And is it possible to make your own?

Excellent review. I look foward to reading more from you. Thank you

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
If the gimmick is handled correctly and you are careful, I think it will last for a while. Yes it is fragile, but its not something that you need to think about at all times. The move is simple and just follow one rule that Wayne says about it...that is when most people probably would have broken it. Just be careful when it is in the deck and you will be fine I think, but I just got it so I can't really attest to the life span of the gimmick yet. And it would not be an easy task to make your own, a lot of work go into these.
Adam

Aug 31, 2007
Greenville, SC
Well ok I'll just have to trust you then:)lol

I really want the to learn the trick I'm just afraid that the gimmick will wear out really fast. When I had bought Strange Travelers(an amazing effect used by David Blaine. I highly recommend) I don't know if it was just me but I found that the gimmick(s) were wearing out very quickly....I have since then learned a lot about card care so...Thank you for the review though I think this is the one I'm gonna get.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Yeah, I got mine today too.
Amazing, amazing trick. And good for beginners.

However, I have one question. Is there anyway to buy another gimmick? Maybe with different styles....?

Wayne said that when Distortion is officially released there will be an option to order the gimmick by itself. He also said that there will be different colored backs. I messaged him and he said they will be offering more options on the "Moving Pip" card in the future.

P.S.
Very good review Adam. I look forward to recieving my package soon!!

No prob dude.

Yeah, I wish they were signed too. As far as the backs.. I'm a "red rider guy" myself ;)

But, I'll still be interested in purchasing the others. I do tend to use different decks quite often.

Sep 1, 2007
is the gimmick something I can just put in my pocket and not have to worry about it? I mean can you palm it in or could you cop it in with out having to worry about it breaking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
the gimmick is fragile. you don't want to just stuff it in a deck and use it whenever you want. i got mine yesterday and it already broke, but theory11 customer support said they are sending me a replacement unit 30 minutes after i e-mailed them telling the problem i was having. maybe mine was a defect? thats some amazing customer service though

Sep 1, 2007
No prob dude.

Yeah, I wish they were signed too. As far as the backs.. I'm a "red rider guy" myself ;)

But, I'll still be interested in purchasing the others. I do tend to use different decks quite often.

the back on mine is blue
is that bad?
all ive heard of is red backed distortion gimmicks
when i opened it i was a little confused...

Sep 2, 2007
the back on mine is blue
is that bad?
all ive heard of is red backed distortion gimmicks
when i opened it i was a little confused...

No, I believe that half of the distortion gimmicks are blue, while the other half are red. It's a 50 percent chance of getting red or blue.

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results