Quick Pass Video (18 seconds) - Feedback Needed!

Hey there,
I need feedback on the classic pass. No editing what so ever so you'll hear the sound of the TV, and most importantly, the sound of the pass ( which is ignored in almost every pass video due to the hard rock music .. )

I understand that any poor pass can be made great in camera, but as I don't have any magicians near me, feedback for me is important.

The vid is only 18 seconds.

The more detailed the feedback, and the harsher ( though educated ), the better. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B0Ga65v0Umg

Last edited by a moderator:
They were pretty good. You might want to look into Richard Kaufman's, "Half a Jiggle Pass". It can be found on his DVD, "On The Pass". It is the pass that I use and find the must convincing. IMO, the pass is worth the entire price of the DVD.

Apr 8, 2008
wow... it looks really smooth. maybe if i paused the video, i might see a little bit of the pack coming up, but i think its great.

Sep 1, 2007
It was definitely fast, probably one of the fastest passes I've ever seen. With that said, covering the noise would be the most important thing to work on, for when you're performing for people. Since when used as a pass, the spectators should be misdirected anyways. However, you could make a great color change with that, because you're so quick. Keep up the good work.

Guys, I made the noise intentionally! These were riffle passes ( I riffled the back of the deck ). I use this as a color change, the riffle serves as a magical gesture, you riffle and blow on the deck, and the card changes. The riffle also serves as a sound cover for the friction between the packets, which is I'm trying to work around it, though I dont think the sound is too high, pretty much like a top change. There are lots of room for improvement though :)

RichardMatthew, I have Kaufman's DVD, the Jig ( Gary Ouellet's version of Kaufman's pass, its in "The Pass" book ) is something I'm practicing.

It was definitely fast, probably one of the fastest passes I've ever seen. With that said, covering the noise would be the most important thing to work on, for when you're performing for people. Since when used as a pass, the spectators should be misdirected anyways. However, you could make a great color change with that, because you're so quick. Keep up the good work.

Passes aren't necessarily supposed to be "fast".

Guys, I made the noise intentionally! These were riffle passes ( I riffled the back of the deck ). I use this as a color change, the riffle serves as a magical gesture, you riffle and blow on the deck, and the card changes. The riffle also serves as a sound cover for the friction between the packets, which is I'm trying to work around it, though I dont think the sound is too high, pretty much like a top change. There are lots of room for improvement though :)

RichardMatthew, I have Kaufman's DVD, the Jig ( Gary Ouellet's version of Kaufman's pass, its in "The Pass" book ) is something I'm practicing.

While doing the classic pass, the two packets being "shifted" are never supposed to touch.

BTW;

It's RichmanMatthew, not RichardMatthew.;)

Sep 1, 2007
It's good that you do it fast, but remember, the pass is a move meant to be performed under misdirection. There was a great deal of noise, not just from the riffle. Work on that. It doesn't matter how fast it is if people know you're controlling the cards. It might as well just be a color change...

While doing the classic pass, the two packets being "shifted" are never supposed to touch.
RichmanMatthew: ( I copy-pasted your username,I hope there aren't no mistakes :p )
Nope, how do you transpose the packets with great speed then? Now you will tell me that the left hand is the one doing the work, which is a slower way to do the pass, unfortunately, its one of the common errors in many magician's passes today, because some sources teach it this way. Go watch Kaufman's pass again from performer's view. :)

I don't want to go in detail in this, but lets say one thing to provoke thinking, which is actually a very big misconception in the pass. The main action is the right hand action, the left hand is just going for the ride, there is some slight action, but the main action is still the right hand's.

The sound increases as you go for more speed, which the riffle serves as a cover. Of course, one must practice to keep this sound to minimum. ( I'll do that no worries :) )

In Half a jiggle, which is supposed to be silent, you have to decrease the speed to archive this, but in return, you get a lot of cover by the large action ( larger action covering a slower one ), and thanks that the slower action even though its slower than the riffle pass, but its still fast, which makes it very good too.

Its all about covering the top packet's movement, which is out there with no cover. You may use alot speed, though this might produce sound, which then is covered by the riffle pass. You may cover the movement with motion, like the jiggle and half a jiggle. You may take the packet off their vision for a second, which is the rocking motion is all about. Alot of covers, all to cover that dreadful "triangle of death", a term by Ken Krenzel.

Keep in mind that the sound difference and the speed difference are not that of a big difference as I make it sound. A half a jiggle has to be fast too, just less fast than a riffle.

a classic pass has to be smooth AND fast, simply holding the deck with both hands and do up and down movement to cover the packets for more than a second is simply very unnatural, I wish someone can show us a video of him doing it to prove that it can be done naturally. You may justify it with patter like "I met this guy who loves doing this" and do that movement, at same time telling a story.

In the pass clip I posted, I think the sound is small enough to be performed, pretty much like a top change. When there is alot of heat on the deck ( like in a color change or a vanish ), I go with the riffle pass because it covers everything. Tips though are appreciated.

Achieving great speed with silence can be done, I was told that Bill Klush's pass is silent and only appears as a squaring up of the deck. I'm working on that. :)

Long Man:
To work on misdirection, you have to make it into a trick. I do 3 tricks that cannot use anything but the pass, 2 of them the pass is used openly as a vanish/transposition, the other is done under misdirection. You cannot just "work on misdirection", you have to put it in a trick so it flows with it, hence good misdirection can be achieved. Hope this make it clear? :)

Hope this post makes sense. For more info especially on the pass, the best source hands down is Gary Ouellet's book The Pass. I didn't go into triangle of death and its covers, and the action of the right and left hand, because its all mentioned in the book. The obsevations on half a jiggle are from my analysis, though I'm sure alot of other magicians analyzed it as well and may even put it in their books/dvds.

Oh, check Card College vol.2 as well, the description has many important points that I didn't mention here.

Lol, I think I'll post this on my blog. :p

~ Feras

RichmanMatthew: ( I copy-pasted your username,I hope there aren't no mistakes :p )
Nope, how do you transpose the packets with great speed then? Now you will tell me that the left hand is the one doing the work, which is a slower way to do the pass, unfortunately, its one of the common errors in many magician's passes today, because some sources teach it this way. Go watch Kaufman's pass again from performer's view. :)

I don't want to go in detail in this, but lets say one thing to provoke thinking, which is actually a very big misconception in the pass. The main action is the right hand action, the left hand is just going for the ride, there is some slight action, but the main action is still the right hand's.

The sound increases as you go for more speed, which the riffle serves as a cover. Of course, one must practice to keep this sound to minimum. ( I'll do that no worries :) )

In Half a jiggle, which is supposed to be silent, you have to decrease the speed to archive this, but in return, you get a lot of cover by the large action ( larger action covering a slower one ), and thanks that the slower action even though its slower than the riffle pass, but its still fast, which makes it very good too.

Its all about covering the top packet's movement, which is out there with no cover. You may use alot speed, though this might produce sound, which then is covered by the riffle pass. You may cover the movement with motion, like the jiggle and half a jiggle. You may take the packet off their vision for a second, which is the rocking motion is all about. Alot of covers, all to cover that dreadful "triangle of death", a term by Ken Krenzel.

Keep in mind that the sound difference and the speed difference are not that of a big difference as I make it sound. A half a jiggle has to be fast too, just less fast than a riffle.

a classic pass has to be smooth AND fast, simply holding the deck with both hands and do up and down movement to cover the packets for more than a second is simply very unnatural, I wish someone can show us a video of him doing it to prove that it can be done naturally. You may justify it with patter like "I met this guy who loves doing this" and do that movement, at same time telling a story.

In the pass clip I posted, I think the sound is small enough to be performed, pretty much like a top change. When there is alot of heat on the deck ( like in a color change or a vanish ), I go with the riffle pass because it covers everything. Tips though are appreciated.

Achieving great speed with silence can be done, I was told that Bill Klush's pass is silent and only appears as a squaring up of the deck. I'm working on that. :)

Long Man:
To work on misdirection, you have to make it into a trick. I do 3 tricks that cannot use anything but the pass, 2 of them the pass is used openly as a vanish/transposition, the other is done under misdirection. You cannot just "work on misdirection", you have to put it in a trick so it flows with it, hence good misdirection can be achieved. Hope this make it clear? :)

Hope this post makes sense. For more info especially on the pass, the best source hands down is Gary Ouellet's book The Pass. I didn't go into triangle of death and its covers, and the action of the right and left hand, because its all mentioned in the book. The obsevations on half a jiggle are from my analysis, though I'm sure alot of other magicians analyzed it as well and may even put it in their books/dvds.

Oh, check Card College vol.2 as well, the description has many important points that I didn't mention here.

Lol, I think I'll post this on my blog. :p

~ Feras

Check these passes out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GusduqfKcs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmHaKKceNs

I have a video of Akira teaching the above pass, he uses the technique I talk about above, in fact, a very similar idea to Derek Dingle. See Card College 2 for more info.

The packet touch, but with minimum friction, which is what I'm working on. :)

The other pass, there is also a sound of friction.

If you do it with the left hand as a main action, you pretty much have an exposed angle at the left, because you can see the movement below the arch of the right hand. I would really love to see the second pass with the angle of the left.

Again, its possible to produce less amount of friction with the packets touching, but a pass where the packets dont touch? I would really, really love to see a good pass that implies such thing ( and with the one doing it saying so, you are assuming that the reason for a silent pass the packets not touching, which is not true. There is a touch, but a less noise can be produced )

Keep in mind that these two passes are taken from two very good angles ( the hand covering the top packet for a little bit of time ), Akira has put a new video on youtube, I'll look for it when i have the time. Its in a thread in the cafe called "Learning the Pass" I think, page 4.

I'll do another pass clip "for your eyes only", I would love feedback on the improvements I made thanks for the feedback. I'll capture it from multiple angles too, so the pass is seen clearly.

EDIT: Had to add this, you may are working on different analysis of the sleight. All the point is, analyze the sleight, and see what works and what doesn't. You may work on a version where the packets dont touch, analyze it, and fix the problems as you go. I personally firmly believe with practice you can make less friction sound, which what Akira does ( I'm saying this knowing how his pass works, I didn't assume that his packets dont touch :) )

~ Feras

I have a video of Akira teaching the above pass, he uses the technique I talk about above, in fact, a very similar idea to Derek Dingle. See Card College 2 for more info.

The packet touch, but with minimum friction, which is what I'm working on. :)

The other pass, there is also a sound of friction.

If you do it with the left hand as a main action, you pretty much have an exposed angle at the left, because you can see the movement below the arch of the right hand. I would really love to see the second pass with the angle of the left.

Again, its possible to produce less amount of friction with the packets touching, but a pass where the packets dont touch? I would really, really love to see a good pass that implies such thing ( and with the one doing it saying so, you are assuming that the reason for a silent pass the packets not touching, which is not true. There is a touch, but a less noise can be produced )

Keep in mind that these two passes are taken from two very good angles ( the hand covering the top packet for a little bit of time ), Akira has put a new video on youtube, I'll look for it when i have the time. Its in a thread in the cafe called "Learning the Pass" I think, page 4.

I'll do another pass clip "for your eyes only", I would love feedback on the improvements I made thanks for the feedback. I'll capture it from multiple angles too, so the pass is seen clearly.

EDIT: Had to add this, you may are working on different analysis of the sleight. All the point is, analyze the sleight, and see what works and what doesn't. You may work on a version where the packets dont touch, analyze it, and fix the problems as you go. I personally firmly believe with practice you can make less friction sound, which what Akira does ( I'm saying this knowing how his pass works, I didn't assume that his packets dont touch :) )

~ Feras

Check the guy's Youtube channel, he has a pass tutorial. This tutorial show his pass from the view you'd like. Also, the tutorial isn't half bad.

You got me intriqued about Card College. I'm going to go check it out now.

Aug 31, 2007
Er... You would be a god to do a good pass without the packets ever even touching each other.

As a general rule, I don't post things like this as they seem conceited, but I do the pass without the packets touching each other... Of course, I have PLENTY of cover (if they're watching) because whenever I do the pass, I "square up" the deck by tapping it on a table, and then do the pass on my way back up. This way I have plenty of breathing room and I can do it silently 19 out of 20 times at least

Looks good

There is an advantage of performing pass on a low quality internet video. There is more blur-effect which adds considerably to the ivisibility of this slight. You are doing pass with almost no covering action and I just doubt that it is equally good for the naked eye. If I am wrong than you are a master of the invisible pass. Then again many youtube magicians seem to be as well....:rolleyes:

I'm no way near master, and I did not put this video to show off ( which is one reason you don't see hard metal tracks in the back ). I put it for feedback, I only recently performed the pass for a live audience.

I honestly don't know why people put pass videos with music with it, and keep it for a long time. Any case, I took away the video. :)

Cheers guys, thanks for information and feedback. I put a false cuts video, which is one thing I was practicing, if you got feedback on that comment or PM me if there is exposure. :)

~ Feras

~ Feras

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results