Solution for Sweaty Palms?

Apr 13, 2008
Las Vegas
hello. I'm stumped on moving forward with my flourishes. My problem is that my hands get sweaty... is there anyone that can help me? I dont know how to resolve this problem. I know it's hereditary but I was wondering maybe using fanning powder to keep from sweaty palms?? help please?...

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Use 100% plastic cards?

What if you're really sweaty and the fanning powder turns into a gunky mess? That would seriously mess up your cards. Plus, you'll use up loads of fanning powder and when you've picked out a wedgie, everyone knows!:eek:

Dec 11, 2007
Lebanon, Bierut
hey, i know how hard is to work with flourishes if ur having sweaty palms.........i have them too:S they make my cards warp, and i kill the cards very fast which isnt really good. so i have some solutions tht keep my hands a lil dryer, just wash ur hands constantly with cheap soap, after tht open the freezer's door and put ur hands in it, atleast tht works with me, just try it and if it works pm me ok;)

Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Yeah mon, you should keep a towel next to you and dry your hands everytime they begin to feel sweaty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 13, 2008
Las Vegas
hey, i know how hard is to work with flourishes if ur having sweaty palms.........i have them too:S they make my cards warp, and i kill the cards very fast which isnt really good. so i have some solutions tht keep my hands a lil dryer, just wash ur hands constantly with cheap soap, after tht open the freezer's door and put ur hands in it, atleast tht works with me, just try it and if it works pm me ok;)

YAY!!! thank you so much! I'm going to try it right now!! ^^ I've been through at least 4 decks within 5 weeks and it's all due to my cards warping... thanks again!! and I'll keep a hand towel next to me as well! just in case

Well, I dont flourish very much, but I play video games alot and my hands get sweaty when i'm doing that and I know somebody's already said it, but if you wash your hands with soap, it keeps your hands from getting sweaty for a little longer. Washing your hands, and drying them really good dries them out and keeps them that way for quite a while. Hope this helps!

Anthony Bass

Jun 18, 2008
USA
How sweaty are we talking? And is the reason your palms get sweaty purely hereditary, or is it because you're nervous about the flourish? Are you nervous about your palms getting sweaty, thus causing them to sweat faster/more?

Try relaxing. Wash your hands with cheap soap, like people have suggested before. I'd suggest drying them with paper towels, or something like that (it has a rougher texture).

Jun 20, 2008
Belchertown, MA
How sweaty are we talking? And is the reason your palms get sweaty purely hereditary, or is it because you're nervous about the flourish? Are you nervous about your palms getting sweaty, thus causing them to sweat faster/more?

Try relaxing. Wash your hands with cheap soap, like people have suggested before. I'd suggest drying them with paper towels, or something like that (it has a rougher texture).

Yes it is hereditary and im talking about just being damp/wet/moist and warm. Then added onto being nervous when performing, it just is a mess. I try to wash all the time but it doesnt help that much, ill try using paper towels too thannks.

Jun 27, 2008
Seeking help from professionals...

Yeah I have sweaty palms too.. I don't know about you guys, but when I wash my hands in the bathroom, which is like 20 steps away from my room where I practice all my magic, they start to sweat again at about the same time as I would go and touch the cards.
This is how big a problem this is for me. But am really glad that others have this problem as well.
And yes, when I am nervous my hands tend to get sweaty faster.
I just think it's a shame that only dry hands can be helped getting more moist, but that sweaty hands will most likely need some kind of surgery to permanently get more dry.

So please. If there is some magician out there that actually performs regularly or for a living, that also has this problem, please give us your advise :)

-Simon

Jun 27, 2008
... My hands are not particularly sweaty when I touch the cards again after I've washed them, but certainly enough to ruin them if i did nothing about them..

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
The problems i face with sweaty palms is my sweat makes my cards sticky and moist. And there's a easy solution to that. After a day of flourishing or magic, spread out your cards in an air-conditioned room. This will remove every single bit of sweat from your cards and your cards will feel smooth again the next day. If you do not wish to get your cards sweaty at all, practice in an air-conditioned room too.

Hope this helps all the magicians/cardist out there with sweaty palms. :)

Apr 28, 2008
I have the opposite problem a lot of the time, my hands are way too dry. This makes it quite difficult to keep hold of cards when doing complex flourishes. Anyone else have this problem?

As a full contact martial artist, I took a class in which an instructor who's pretty famous and knows his stuff called a guy up to help him demo. The guy stood up and walked maybe three steps when the instructor smacked him hard in the face.

The instructor then apologized, and said he's making a point. He asked the man if his hands and his temples were sweaty. It had been maybe 10 seconds, but sure enough both areas were completely damp.

The instructor then pointed out that under stress, our temples and palms tend to sweat as part of our ingrained fight or flight response, like hair standing up.

If you're nervous when you perform, sweaty palms are the symptom. Calm your nerves, thus treating the cause, and your symptom will subside.

Pj

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results