What kind of tricks?

May 15, 2008
Hey guys. I just want to ask your that what kind of tricks is good for
a large crowd of audience? Let's say, around 1000+? Must is really be
stage magics? Are street magics appropriate to perform for this amount
of audiences?

Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
Is this your first time performing to a big crowd?..cuz if it is ..maybe its not a good idea to perform But if you have, you should already know what too do.

May 15, 2008
yea. It is my first time perform to a big crowd. The largest crowd i perform for is about 10 or 15.
So it is a bad idea to perform? Because my school is having a celebration in about 1 month time.
My school asked us, students to volunteer and perform on that day so I feel like performing
some tricks.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
There's a pretty big difference performing to 1000 than 10, The main difference is the kind of material you'll have to perform, Obviously an ambitious card routine won't work in that kind of environment!

Your best bet is to go for a bit of simple, direct mentalism stuff. look at some of jermay's stuff for some pretty low maintenance to the point stuff.

Looking in the coral fang for instance, you could open with a dangerous opener and go into touching on Hoy. A couple of easy to follow, powerful and direct routines.

Have a look around :)

Hope you have a good time - there's nothing like performing to a big crowd!

D.

May 15, 2008
Thanks for the advices. I will look around.
Hmm..how about card tricks like Indecent, or The King Rising Levitation?

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
if you have camera's on you and a big screen then yeah, they'd work. Otherwise I doubt. The angle's on King's levitation are too tight for stage use, the height isn't there either.

Indecent would be tough to pull off on stage also, It's still cool that a card penetrates the bag, I've performed it in the past, but it's a close up effect.

These tricks were designed to be high impact, in your face kind of magic to work close up. They're utilising small props which would be difficult to see on stage. This is why I suggest some mentalism effects as they pack small but play big.

Look at some video's of guys performing to those sized crowds on youtube or something and look at the kind of material they present. Admittedly, you will see some guys doing some close up stuff, but they will always have a camera and a big screen to accompany them.

D.

May 15, 2008
I see. Ok. I will go look. Oh yeah, Control is a mentalism trick right? So are there other
types of tricks that can be used to perform? I thought of having a bit variations of tricks
would be good.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Just look around. Think about if you saw a professional magician on a stage in some theatre or whatever... You wouldn't really see him doing a tivo transpo or something. Think about what would play out well in a stage environment.

If you've never done this kind of thing before then choosing material may seem difficult, but you'll get used to what works and what doesn't. It's not too hard to figure it out when you think about it.

D.

Sep 1, 2007
There's a lot of material in 13 Steps to Mentalism that plays well on-stage. I have to agree with Dee here. Mentalism would be better suited than standard close-up magic.

Remember, Houdini's performance at the Hippodrome was awful because he didn't consider the audience. He opened with the old trick of swallowing needles and thread and regurgitating them with all 200 needles threaded, but only a few people in the front rows actually saw it. And then he vanished an elephant with an apparatus that had the same flaw due to its construction.

May 15, 2008
Ok Dee, i will look around more. Thanks for the advices.

Sure, Steerpike, i will look into the 13 Steps to Mentalism.
Thanks for telling me about it.

Oct 8, 2007
Doing close-up on stage, you'd need a camera, a projector, and a screen so everyone can see it.

Have you considered Dream of Aces as a close-up act? If, I'm not mistaken, David Copperfield did it on stage, backed up by music. It was amazing as it was dramatic when he performed it.

Oct 6, 2007
Well honesetly, Im no stage magician.

However, from what I learnt from many succesful stage magicians....

You've got to think about the audience especially more in stage shows as opposed to close-up shows. you ahve to think about how they will see your effects.

They need to be obvious and/or BIG.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results