Eye Contact

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Well, I've been performing a lot more recently, mainly at our high school graduation parties, and I'm finding out great new, subtle crowd control techniques. My main question, is how do you guys, those who actually go out and perform, establish eye contact and maintain it (so as to keep them from burning your hands the entire trick)? I've found that I'll stare at their eyes the entire time, and if I feel like they're not on the same wavelength, I'll pause in the trick until they look up, and continue. Any more helpful hints? Thanks.

SG

Oct 6, 2007
Usually..if your hands are moving but you're looking at them, they're going to think you are trying to misdirect them.

If you want to establish eye contact, more the performance sake..making it more intimate, then maybe looking up and talking, instead of looking up while fooling around with the cards.

Pause for the trick, patter and establish eye contact, and when you want them to look at the cards and "watch", say it and look down with them.

What your eyes as the performer are looking at, almost leads the crowd and spectators to look at the same place.

Look to one side- people will look.
Look up- they'll look up at you too.
Look at the cards- they'll do the same.

I use a pick up artists technique called kino, Kino is where you touch someone. I normally do it on the shoulder. I'd say about 98% of the time they look at your face and noticing that you are looking straight through them. Keep in mind this works with guys and girls the same way. Like the other guy said, pause the trick a beat(kino) look through the eyes and just "fluff" it just talk like "oh i bet you haven't seen that before" Also while you fluff be very animated in your face. The "fun" is my face right now, My hands aren't doing anything they are stationary and boring (if you know that, they know that.) Also with Kino it is not a tap, more like a light touch and hold it there for as long as it is comfortable for you and the spectator. If you experiment you will find the timing that is right for you, and establish how long you should keep it with each of your differant spectators.

-Knave S

Oddly enough, when I establish eye contact that don't look at my hands. NEVER look at your hands when doing a sneaky move like a pass unless you can do it very well.
On misdirection, do it as fast as possible, having them look at a mirror for a minute then showing the card in your pocket isn't amazing to them, regardless how reasonably you shuffled the deck.

Eye contact is at most times good but sometimes bad, when doing TiVo 2.0 you want them to look at the deck at all times so they can see the visual-glory of the change. Misdirection (seeing as its very connected to eye contact) has to be executed reasonably as to not make them say "I was misdirected".

~PaCO

Add a touch of comedy. Laughter is great misdirection. If you have, or can get ahold of a copy of the Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder, the first chapter of book one after the introductions is all about Misdirection.

He says if you need to palm a card, ask them a question. While they pause to ask it, Bingo, palm the card. If you need to load a cup, make a joke. Make them laugh. While they laugh, do the move. Tommy Wonder's book(s) is/are a phenomenal resource for this, among MANY other things.

They may not always look at your eyes, but they won't be burning your hands for when you do a move.

Good Luck!
-Bill

Aug 31, 2007
Eye contact, and acknowlaging your spectators is one of the most important things in magic. Unfortunately, you can't really plan beforehand when you will look at them, you kinda have to just do it when it feels right. One thing that is nice to do if the dont realize you are trying to establish eye contact, is to drop your hand to you side, and look at them. if you arn't holding the deck with both hands, then you casually drop them to your side, that way they have nothing to watch except your eyes. then once you have them, bring the hands back together, do the move, and look back at the deck.

Sep 2, 2007
Get card college 2. It has very relevant and very smart advice especially for the amateur performer. It has several small anecdotes and tons of advice that help you control the audience's eyes and be a better performer. Many nuances with body language that when practiced make a great difference.

Oct 14, 2007
Well, I've been performing a lot more recently, mainly at our high school graduation parties, and I'm finding out great new, subtle crowd control techniques. My main question, is how do you guys, those who actually go out and perform, establish eye contact and maintain it (so as to keep them from burning your hands the entire trick)? I've found that I'll stare at their eyes the entire time, and if I feel like they're not on the same wavelength, I'll pause in the trick until they look up, and continue. Any more helpful hints? Thanks.

SG

Okay, i use eye contact a lot in magic (when ever i do a card trick ie 2 card montie for the switch). I've found out that if you give eye contact to some one they will give it back. Evern if they are beeing realy hard on you and your magic. For me it works when ever i want it to. :)

Michael Baker

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results