What should I learn next?

Mar 27, 2008
Hey,
I started with card magic about 2 months ago. Learned all the tricks from Oz Pearlman born to perform card magic: ultimate transpo, two card monte, ambitious card and the biddle trick. I tried to learn the jumping gemini (Roy Raphaeli version), but the the double lift part where I had to just do it without a prep was a little bit hard. So what should I learn next that is maybe a little bit complicated than the four above. Just name some effects you think are best for me at the moment.

Oct 30, 2007
Slovenia,Ljubljana
if you like impromptu magic, which i doubt that u already know what kind of magic do you like after two months of practicing magic, i would say get some one effect DVD. Indecent by WH is not very hard to do, and also STIGMATA from WH is not so hard. There are a lot of effects you can get on the internet magic sites that are strong, easy, and practical.

If you like gimmicks then you are on the right site=). Theory11 has a lot of tricks that needs a gimmick, Panic by Aaron Fisher is very easy, and superpowerful, Distortion is also easy but it needs a little bit of practice. Theory11 best impromtu card trick is the newest effect here. Believe by Joel Paschall. So does the reviews say. I would recommend Witness by Lee Asher.

But first i would recommend to get some more skills with basic moves, you can learn them at penguin magic, the Oz Pearlman Born to perform DVD which you already own, and maybe even Ellusionist DVD Crash Course 1 and 2, maybe even NINJA 1 and 2. These 5 DVD's helped me a lot with getting the basics literally in to my blood.

You've been told the right information my friend. Learn a lot of the basics. I mean, a lot! Go out and read about all the controls you can, and choose the ones you like, master them. Broaden your horizons. Have a huge ground base to work with, then pile things on top of it with more! Then start looking into individual tricks. That way when you're being taught them, and they require some sort of control you don't know, you at least will know enough to work around it with one of yours, or at least have enough knowledge of the sleight to get used to it and start working on it.

Hope that helps. Adieu friend.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I echo MoonlightKnight's comments. Don't just concentrate on learning trick after trick. Stick with the ones you know already and practice them to the point where you could do them in your sleep. That means you can build up the presentation and showmanship side until your getting huge reactions from your spectators. Plus, familiarise yourself with a lot of different sleights (maybe look into Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights or Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control series), and this will enable you to create your own routines, which is much more satisfying than using other people's.

Feb 2, 2008
I could add to the one trick DVDs the Asher Twist DVD - it's impromptu, and requires only a couple of months to do smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2008
I don't have to money buy these DVDs and I live in a small country where the shipment would take months. Same with books. And I have the Erdnase bible pdf in my PC. Is that worth reading through?

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I have to disagree here. Get the Royal Road to Card Magic. Single effect DVD's are for working performers IMO because they already have an advanced knowledge on sleights and presentation and can learn the effect and have it down (presentation wise too) pretty quickly. For an amateur, the effect doesn't really teach you anything besides the trick itself and you can get a lot more of your money's worth in a book that has multiple effects and sleights. I also have to disagree with the notion that you should learn every sleight you can. Familiarize yourself with the different categories of sleights (controld, dls etc.) and find one to suit your needs. Knowing 13,000 different controls won't help you if you suck at all of them. It's ok if you read about 13,000 controls and try them out but I wouldn't reccommend dedicating hours of practice to each one.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I don't have to money buy these DVDs and I live in a small country where the shipment would take months. Same with books. And I have the Erdnase bible pdf in my PC. Is that worth reading through?

Yes. It'll be hard because that book is more advanced than most of the other stuff but if you can get down the sleights in that book well, you'll be alot better magician.

Nov 30, 2007
Well, I would work on that double lift without set-up because a lot of tricks require that. It is such a simple, yet brilliant move. Jumping Gemini can also really show off your skill. After practice though you should be able to do double and triple lifts so easily. It becomes natural.

Oct 6, 2007
Maybe you could purcahse some of the 1-on-1's on this site.

They're quick (mostly impormtu) tricks that are very effective.

Jan 18, 2008
memphis,tn
Get some instant downloads from penguin and Here. You can buy most 1 trick dvds for download. I would reccomend Ninja 1 or 2, Crash course 1 or 2, all from ellusionist which can be downloaded!

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
So 2 months. Practice the key card. If you dont know what that is. You look at the bottom card.......tell to put the card there. Find the key card. Give their card and tell them not to look. Ask what was their card, and say turn it over.

oooooo. ANd long distance spinner.

Nov 10, 2007
Wave the Aces is a nice effect which always gets good reations! It is not very hard either I am 15 and have been doing wve the aces now for a bout 3 years!

Sep 1, 2007
Grab the Art of Astonishment series. Theres a multitude of spectacular material in there. My favorites are Interlaced Vanish, Las Vegas Leaper, and The Ultimate Rip-off.

The series is really worth the investment, but it will be more of a commitment than just a one-trick DVD.

Good luck!

Mar 27, 2008
I looked the first trick in the art of astonishment and it was really good. I'm gonna learn that. and the wave the aces is pretty good also. oh and what's that one hand quad helix riffle?? what is the best way to secretly turn over the top card so that the spectator wouldn't see it? for example in wave the aces, when the spectator picks a card and you have to turn over to top card for a double lift.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results