1 or 2

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
2 quick questions for busking.... Should I have one or two shows? And about how long should each of them be?

1 show is required to work. 2 just gives you material to switch between and keep your sanity because you'll find that you'll be doing a LOT of the same tricks over and over again.

When busking it doesn't matter how long you work. Whether you do 30 minutes or 3, you make the same amount of money. Figure out a good pace, and keep up with your hat lines. I'd say a good 10 to 13 minute routine is solid.

And if possible always end with a strait jacket. Go out big and close on a high energy note.

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
Thanks for both of the tips. The Kozmo video was very helpful. I don't use a straight jacket but thanks for the tips I will use them.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Rather than repeating my usual reply to this frequently asked question I'll point out that there is a search option that would take you to numerous threads covering this same exact question. . . and many other "newbie" type questions including "what's your favorite?" type B.S

Pardon my coming off short but this is one of those mornings in which I've seen far too much lethargy in people. . .

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
Rather than repeating my usual reply to this frequently asked question I'll point out that there is a search option that would take you to numerous threads covering this same exact question. . . and many other "newbie" type questions including "what's your favorite?" type B.S

Pardon my coming off short but this is one of those mornings in which I've seen far too much lethargy in people. . .

If you in such a bad mood, don't bother replying. You could've said what you had to say without demeaning others on the forum.

Apr 17, 2013
If you in such a bad mood, don't bother replying. You could've said what you had to say without demeaning others on the forum.

We get in a bad mood because no one takes time to do the owrk and just ask. Craig myself and a few others keep seeing the same five or six questions pop up day after day week after week. A two minute break to hit the search function would give threads and post that we have given answers hundreds of time. WE take the time to help those who take the time to do a little leg work. The people who just start asking the same questions time after time and then start to get upset when no one answers or those why say why post if you aren't going to help Or they tell us that they don't want to look up if the move is original or that if they an't find it in the three downloads they own or from the two people they asked that once saw a magic book at the used book store then it is okay to sell, start to wear on us who take time to help.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It's important for us as a community to continue to encourage people, point them in the right direction, and like the old adage: 'teach them to fish'. The forum search feature is like buying someone a library card. And although it can be frustrating to see people not using it, it is not an excuse to not be civil. We must be patient and graceful with those who are exploring.

And they should make a forum version of lmgtfy: http://bit.ly/1nGZuSb

Apr 17, 2013
It's important for us as a community to continue to encourage people, point them in the right direction, and like the old adage: 'teach them to fish'. The forum search feature is like buying someone a library card. And although it can be frustrating to see people not using it, it is not an excuse to not be civil. We must be patient and graceful with those who are exploring.

Hard to be civil when we see the same questions day in day out sometimes you will see the same topics next to each other by two different people. There is a reason why many of us who have been helping before have stopped or are leaving all together.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
This level of patience is best learned from three year olds who constantly ask "Why?" over and over. ;)

One of the goals of a forum like this is to help newer magicians get off to a solid start. To expect the topics to stop coming so frequently is just unrealistic expectations. Gentlemen like you, Craig, Rick, Christopher and many others do a great job in pressing discussion to deeper levels, teaching, equipping, and challenging the community here.

Being civil remains important to advance your vision and goals for this community.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Boom: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:forums.theory11.com+busking+advice

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
As you can see (from my number of posts) I am pretty new to this forum. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I was just trying to answer the question posed by hudsonhufham to the best of my ability. I was not aware of anyone who had mentions Kozmo's Hangout on the forums, but I may be wrong. I understand what you are saying and I think it is safe to say the most of us to recognize the energy that all of you T11 forum veterans add to and help grow the community here.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
As you can see (from my number of posts) I am pretty new to this forum. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I was just trying to answer the question posed by hudsonhufham to the best of my ability. I was not aware of anyone who had mentions Kozmo's Hangout on the forums, but I may be wrong. I understand what you are saying and I think it is safe to say the most of us to recognize the energy that all of you T11 forum veterans add to and help grow the community here.

The ire wasn't directed at you, but the original poster who asked a variation of a question which has been posted about extensively.

It's very easy to fall into frustration at answering the same sort of questions over and over for those of us who are on the forums a lot. I know I do this and when I notice it (or people point it out) I know it's time for me to stop posting so much and take a step back to let my frustrations die down.

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
I'm sorry I should have used the search bar but I didn't think about it. I will use it next time. I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner when this large discussion was going on. I have been at school today. An idea for the forum moderators is to keep a list of links to previous threads related to the question the person is asking so then you can just copy and paste and send them there. Just a thought.
(Christopher that google search thing was awesome I have never seen that before.)

Craig if you get so worked up about it, which I understand how it could be frustrating but if you really have nothing at all to say about it and just want to rant on about how someone is an imbecile then you might want to quit your job b/c on the forums your supposed to be dealing with less experienced people who ARE going to make mistakes. Just my two cents.

Apr 17, 2013
I'm sorry I should have used the search bar but I didn't think about it. I will use it next time. I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner when this large discussion was going on. I have been at school today. An idea for the forum moderators is to keep a list of links to previous threads related to the question the person is asking so then you can just copy and paste and send them there. Just a thought.
(Christopher that google search thing was awesome I have never seen that before.)

Craig if you get so worked up about it, which I understand how it could be frustrating but if you really have nothing at all to say about it and just want to rant on about how someone is an imbecile then you might want to quit your job b/c on the forums your supposed to be dealing with less experienced people who ARE going to make mistakes. Just my two cents.

Before you start in on Craig you should really know who he is and what he has done for the world of magic and mentalism. Yes people make mistakes but it is the same mistake all the time.Two weeks ago there were two threads about the same thing by two different people one on top of the other.

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
Before you start in on Craig you should really know who he is and what he has done for the world of magic and mentalism. Yes people make mistakes but it is the same mistake all the time.Two weeks ago there were two threads about the same thing by two different people one on top of the other.

I completely understand, and I appreciate what he does to help others with magic and theory etc. I just think it would be best to guide them in the right direction (example here would be telling me about the search bar) instead of just getting angry with them.

Dec 29, 2011
We get in a bad mood because no one takes time to do the owrk and just ask. Craig myself and a few others keep seeing the same five or six questions pop up day after day week after week. A two minute break to hit the search function would give threads and post that we have given answers hundreds of time. WE take the time to help those who take the time to do a little leg work. The people who just start asking the same questions time after time and then start to get upset when no one answers or those why say why post if you aren't going to help Or they tell us that they don't want to look up if the move is original or that if they an't find it in the three downloads they own or from the two people they asked that once saw a magic book at the used book store then it is okay to sell, start to wear on us who take time to help.

You, Craig and a few others keep seeing them? Sorry are you the only 5 members of this forum? Or are you the only ones who feel so entitled because every time someone without professional experience comes and asks a beginner question and you just leave these rude and discouraging comments.

Is it because you had it hard beginning as a professional? No one else is allowed to get it so easy, with access to all this free information that you didn't have?

You take it upon yourself and act as though you are the leader of the forums and the guru of magic advice, then just turn it around and blame the people asking the questions for not knowing the answers because you've already helped too many people so these new people arent allowed to be told, let alone notified politely that these questions have been asked and answered many times before, and they could easily access those answers with a simple search. Thats not how that kind of responsibility works.

This is not the cafe, it is a forum for beginner magicians, usually with little to no experience, it is the same reason that T11 sells the kinds of effects and one trick downloads that they do, marketed towards the kinds of people you know they are marketed towards. This is not your domain, you do not own it, and all of what T11 is about, which is what draws these kinds of beginners here, does not match with your prior experience and knowledge.

Apr 17, 2013
You, Craig and a few others keep seeing them? Sorry are you the only 5 members of this forum? Or are you the only ones who feel so entitled because every time someone without professional experience comes and asks a beginner question and you just leave these rude and discouraging comments.

Is it because you had it hard beginning as a professional? No one else is allowed to get it so easy, with access to all this free information that you didn't have?

You take it upon yourself and act as though you are the leader of the forums and the guru of magic advice, then just turn it around and blame the people asking the questions for not knowing the answers because you've already helped too many people so these new people arent allowed to be told, let alone notified politely that these questions have been asked and answered many times before, and they could easily access those answers with a simple search. Thats not how that kind of responsibility works.

This is not the cafe, it is a forum for beginner magicians, usually with little to no experience, it is the same reason that T11 sells the kinds of effects and one trick downloads that they do, marketed towards the kinds of people you know they are marketed towards. This is not your domain, you do not own it, and all of what T11 is about, which is what draws these kinds of beginners here, does not match with your prior experience and knowledge.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-18f3defcd3b38b64040098a6caf292a3.png

What i'm saying skippy, is that we give help out freel,y but when someone just comes in and ask something that is covered plenty of times, sometime by a sticky, with out taking a minute or two to do a quick search. And no I didn't have it hard starting out. I had a mentor who was one of those guy who went to study with Vernon. I had a corporate magic gig fall into my lap at 20 years old. I was gifted hard to find and out of print books. I was able to see and talk so some great magicians before they died. I had a mentor who took time to make sure I was ready and knew my stuff. The advice that the working pros here give out for free others would charge for. The working pros here see that magic is in a down phase right now and working hard to turn it around. To be honest this isn't even a magician forum, it is a card magic forum. A subset of magic. I know this is for beginers, There have been a few guys who I have helped and one or two that I email with almost daily. One of them is even getting stuff from my personal notebooks that I have been working longer than most of the users here have been alive. Stuff that i would sell on the wire, but I would rather share with a select few because I do not want to give the animals the tools just yet.

Dec 29, 2011
What i'm saying skippy, is that we give help out freel,y but when someone just comes in and ask something that is covered plenty of times, sometime by a sticky, with out taking a minute or two to do a quick search. And no I didn't have it hard starting out. I had a mentor who was one of those guy who went to study with Vernon. I had a corporate magic gig fall into my lap at 20 years old. I was gifted hard to find and out of print books. I was able to see and talk so some great magicians before they died. I had a mentor who took time to make sure I was ready and knew my stuff. The advice that the working pros here give out for free others would charge for. The working pros here see that magic is in a down phase right now and working hard to turn it around. To be honest this isn't even a magician forum, it is a card magic forum. A subset of magic. I know this is for beginers, There have been a few guys who I have helped and one or two that I email with almost daily. One of them is even getting stuff from my personal notebooks that I have been working longer than most of the users here have been alive. Stuff that i would sell on the wire, but I would rather share with a select few because I do not want to give the animals the tools just yet.

Actually, in all the 8 boards we have, not one of the stickied threads mentions this, and no, this is not a card magic forum, it is specified to general magic, however there is also a specific card magic forum hosted by T11, as well as coins, reviews, questions, etc. But none of these things are really relevant anyway.

That sounds like an awesome beginning in magic, like you really knew how to get to where you were trying to go, I'm sure most of the people who post here looking to get a start in the career are very envious of that, and if I was trying to be a professional magician, I would too. But this is why they come here to post, because they don't have that. I just see it as very discouraging when people with experience like you, and Craig, and Steerpike, and all the others just shut them down like what has happened in this thread.

A good example are the first couple of posts in this thread, those probably took 1 or 2 minutes to write, they are helpful, and not at all rude. Then it goes downhill, I'm sorry Craig, but that post is just disgusting, no one cares how many lethargic people you have met this morning, nor does it concern them, and absolutely not should they be blamed for it. What they do care about is your near infinite source of knowledge. So condescending.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results