100% Luck

Oct 21, 2007
So, i was doing a few tricks and everything was going well, in fact better than just
well, everyone was freakin out and going crazy. so i went to my next trick, a card was selected and returned to the deck, i was suppose to control the card to the top but I LOST THE BREAK!!! this almost never happens to me so i started getting nervous and i just started randomly shuffling the deck. I had no idea what i was doing, so i told the spectator what his card was, and he said "Jack of Spades" "pick up the top card" i said.... and he picked up the Jack of Spades!:eek: so, has this ever happened to anyone else?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Um, no. Thing is, you should onlly perform until you hone your skills so that it won't happen. I mean, it is pretty darn hard to lose a pinky break. It should never have happened if you practiced enough. Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect.

Oct 17, 2007
Yes!! i was doing a corporate show with a table hopping setup.. then this woman ask me if i could locate her card.. so i firmly said yes and i was thinking that i would just control the card with a break and do a simple acr.. so i asked her to pick a card just like the normal routine.. but when i asked her to put the card back on the top, she just shoved it in the middle of the pack.. i was so nervous cause everyone was looking at me.. i shuffled the cards and asked what the card she picked and she answered the queen of hearts.. i was thinking of doing a quick stigmata thingy.. just to get away with the horrible situation.. i placed the pack n top of the table and as i explained that the card is shuffled completely when i raised the top card.. it was the queen of hearts!!! nothing beats the magic of pure LUCK.. hehehe..

Sep 16, 2007
Orlando, Fl
Nothing like this has happened to me yet, but I witnessed a miracle "performed" by my friend. You know, the old gag of having someone just name a card and pulling off the top card, then saying something like "not only did I find your card, but I changed it into the ...". The spec named the 10 of Diamonds, my friend is holding the 10D in his hand. He just showed the correct card, put his deck away, and walked off.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Um, no. Thing is, you should onlly perform until you hone your skills so that it won't happen. I mean, it is pretty darn hard to lose a pinky break. It should never have happened if you practiced enough. Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect.

dude verybady make mistaskes even the prosss

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
No, I lost breaks before, I usually ask them to pick another card, and if they ask why you can just say that you don't like the card they picked, that way it's like you know their card, and you get to do a do over, although sometimes they ask what the card was, and that's when I'm screwed.

I really try to have this not happen, but in some cases it's unavoidable. I usually won't risk it. A good solution to try to not have this happen or to have a quick "out" is to force every single card that is chosen. Therefore, if you lose a break, you will know which card was chosen.

Just a small tip.

Mitchell

Oct 21, 2007
well, i see why you say that. but another thing that lagged my performance was that i was using a borrowed plastic bridge deck of cards. ino thats not a great excuse, but hey everyone makes mistakes....

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I was doing a card routine a few weeks ago at a party and something somewhat similar happened. I had the spec choose their card and then place it back into the deck. While I am shuffling the deck up someone walks by and bumps into me and knocks the cards right out of my hands. So understandably I ask if they would mind if we start again, the reply "Sure no problem!".

So I have her choose another card and the moment she chooses the card this huge smirk comes across her face and I mention "that is an incredible poker face you have there..." and I ask what the problem is. She says to me I just picked the same card again and "how in the hell did you know what card I picked the first time and then somehow made me choose the same card again??!?!". I just played it off as if it was NOT a miracle but instead by design. Hey it was a great ice-breaker and by most accounts when a miracle like that happens you should stop doing any more magic as it will likely be impossible to top it =)

I went on anyways but I overheard them talking later about the "miracle" that happened before I even managed to get started =)

--Jim

trebmalrolyat

Banned
Sep 2, 2007
one tim ei had no idea of what to do.. i was practicing some forcin metods on the spectators.... and they were like. umm. let me shuffle and pick the card. they did. and i freely guessed the card.. that was magic

Sep 1, 2007
Every now and then, things like this happen - either you slip up (hey, even monkeys fall out of trees!) or your spectator misbehaves :)

There's a great out for these situations, and it's called an invisible deck.

If you don't want to use one of those, get creative! It's the measure of a performer as to how well they deal with screw ups. Bill Malone has a great little trick on his "On the Loose" series which is built on an out for the "Fan Force" - its also easy to tweak into an excellent out for situations like this one.

You can increase your chances of getting a lucky co-incidence by doing a fan and noting the top two cards and the bottom two cards. You now have a bank of cards to play with - if they name one of those 4 cards, you are in a position to get to it straight away.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
So, i was doing a few tricks and everything was going well, in fact better than just
well, everyone was freakin out and going crazy. so i went to my next trick, a card was selected and returned to the deck, i was suppose to control the card to the top but I LOST THE BREAK!!! this almost never happens to me so i started getting nervous and i just started randomly shuffling the deck. I had no idea what i was doing, so i told the spectator what his card was, and he said "Jack of Spades" "pick up the top card" i said.... and he picked up the Jack of Spades!:eek: so, has this ever happened to anyone else?

HAHA! Funny you should say that, i was gonna post a topic about a performance I did that was pretty much identical to the one you described.

Card was selected, and put back into the deck. I intended to do a pass, but at the last second lost my break. So I thought "Grrr. Ahh, what the crap, I'm only performing at school, I might aswell just **** around". And I then decided to start a bit of a mess around performance (e.g. top card - is THIS your card? No... x51). So I riffle shuffled, blah blah blah. So I said, "And hopefully - and I MEAN hopefully, your card should come right to the top." I turned it over and they freaked. At first i thought they flipped out because of something else, but when I realised it was their card, I had a bigger reaction than they did! They said, after, "Wow man, how the hell did you do that." And I replied;
"To be honest... I have absolutely no idea..."

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I had an experience where the spectator put the card in somewhere else.. usually when I break the deck to have it returned and they wanna put it somewhere else, I just thumb thru a few more cards and say "doesn't matter where it goes." Anyhow, this woman returned the card to the deck and I lost the break.. I started shuffling and was going through the rant of "ok now sometimes this doesn't work so bare with me.." I did a hand to hand card spring and somehow, the top card (being hers) flew a little differently to the other hand and my reaction was to pinch together my index finger and thumb... I caught it and it just happened to be her card. The best part is that I didn't fumble with the cards when it happened.. it happened so naturally.. can't seem to replicate it but obviously i acted like it was meant to happen like that ^_^

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
So today I was in Comp and Lit, right? I was doing a couple quick card effects, when this nut (but really nice guy), asked me to read his mind. He told me to tell him the card he was thinking of, and said "Now!" as he snapped his fingers. Immediately, I said the Seven of Spades, his jaw dropped, and he left. Of course, I couldn't top that so I just stopped there. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results