13 steps

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
13 steps is a great book, a swami is a good thing to use however I would recommend going into a actual shop and trying a few out if they will let you. Otherwise there is not much more that you cannot get any normal shop.

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
13 steps dvd is also great ... I am visual kind of learner so I prefer to see the explanations rather than the book , I would really encourage both... and yes get a swami

Dec 24, 2009
The main thing you will want to get is a swami gimmick of some sort.

There are several different types though, so I would personally just get the book first. Unless you know a place that you could try out all the different types, because if memory serves me correctly there is

Thumbtip- A TT with some sort of writing material
Boon- Placed writing material that sticks directly to your finger
Nailwriter- Metal or plastic band that goes underneath your fingernail
Bandwriter A band with writing material stuck to the middle.

I believe that's all, there could be one more if I'm not mistaken but personally the bandwriter is my favorite. However, I used to like the boon then the nailwriter and a close mentalist colleague absolutely loves the TT.

All up to you, don't buy one beforehand as you could like one more than the other.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Mr. Jane and D ICE R are both spot on with their material.

13 Steps will tell you the exact differences between the swami gimmicks that Mr. Jane has kindly provided above as well. As both have said, it's all down to personal preference. Personally, I use a boon.

As far as anything else you might want to get, I'd say just wait till you see it - you might need to take a trip to the stationary shop, other than that yeah...

13 steps dvd is also great ... I am visual kind of learner so I prefer to see the explanations rather than the book , I would really encourage both... and yes get a swami

Glad to hear another artist isnt getting the good stuff.

Anyways, i will confirm praetoritevong, D ICE R and Mr. Jane.
Also, search around maybe you can find the 14 step of Mentalism by Paul Brook. It talks about pre-show work. Although, it is incredibly hard to find.

I myself use a boon, its i think the most comfortable of them all, although i havent used the band, so i cant say anything sure about that.

Mikk.

Sep 24, 2007
Actually the 14th step to mentalism book "the gift" is sold on Paul Brook's site. I don't know where you got the idea that it's rare. Not recommended for somebody who just got 13 steps.

After you read the book and do some mentalism, the stationary store will be your heaven. So many notebooks and envelopes and stacks of index cards!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Some things in the book don't really NEED to be visually shown or explained. Such as the first Chapter on Swami's. That's pretty much something you will learn how to do after your first few rounds of practicing with it. I will say this tho, the Book while it IS good does have some things that won't work in this day and age. Osterlind mentions a few items in it that not even he could get to work.

The lip reading thing is pretty much impossible to do (seeing as how 100% of most people will cover their lips when whispering stuff).

But like most books, you don't HAVE to do perform and learn literally everything in it. Just learn a few things here and there from each chapter and you should be fine.

Forgot to mention that with the Swami you are just going to have to spend the money and try out as many as you can to find out what you like and what you don't like.

Jan 13, 2008
Although the boon seems to be popular, I personally prefer the nail writer. At about $1.50 to buy it, it was not a significant investment. I personally bought a boon and a nail writer, because of how cheap they are (I avoided the TT version altogether, just because I wouldn't feel comfortable with the TT writer...it's far too ballsy for my liking), and have stuck with the nail writer (unless I cut my nails too short...then, I would rely on the boon).

So yeah, it wouldn't really hurt you financially to get a few swami gimmicks that sound like they may be up your alley (I would suggest the boon and nail writer), and just stick with whichever you like more.

Other than that, like mentioned, you'll likely be taking a few trips to the stationary store (after you find out what effects or principles you like). :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results