1987 Short Film: Penn and Teller's Invisible Thread

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
I remember seeing this on Showtime when it came out. It's an odd mix of comedy, magic and satire so, in other words, kind of typical Penn & Teller. Some of you may have seen it before but maybe a few haven't.

I liked it for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the "exposure" of what invisible thread work is.

It's not high def so be prepared for that.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I remember seeing this on Showtime when it came out. It's an odd mix of comedy, magic and satire so, in other words, kind of typical Penn & Teller. Some of you may have seen it before but maybe a few haven't.

I liked it for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the "exposure" of what invisible thread work is.

It's not high def so be prepared for that.

I saw a clip from this just by running across it on YouTube (I think it was this).

Without the context, I was so confused about what it was about. Thanks for finding the original!

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
There really aren't that many films of any kind, let alone good films, that use magic as a central theme or even as a major element.

"Shade" and "Now You See Me" are two that come to mind.

Movies about con artists are sort of a tangent to it.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
There really aren't that many films of any kind, let alone good films, that use magic as a central theme or even as a major element.

"Shade" and "Now You See Me" are two that come to mind.

Movies about con artists are sort of a tangent to it.
I've heard that "The Prestige" and "The Illusionist" are really good. There was also a movie that was recently put out called "Sleight", which is about a young magician who uses sleight of hand to save his sister or something.

I haven't seen any of them though. Though given the amount of celebrities interested in magic (both performance and learning it), I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one soon.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
Totally forgot about "The Prestige" and "The Illusionist." I thought "The Prestige" was so-so but really enjoyed "The Illusionist."

Not a film but, when I was younger there was a short-lived tv show called, "The Magician" which starred Bill Bixby. I haven't seen it since it originally aired but I remember it being cool at the time.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've heard that "The Prestige" and "The Illusionist" are really good. There was also a movie that was recently put out called "Sleight", which is about a young magician who uses sleight of hand to save his sister or something.

I haven't seen any of them though. Though given the amount of celebrities interested in magic (both performance and learning it), I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one soon.
You gotta watch The Prestige and The Illusionist. Both great films

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results