30 Day Challenge!

Aug 17, 2012
Hi there,
My name is Sam Morgan, and I'm a 15 year old card magician from Nothern-England. Recently on my youtube channel, I created a project, where by I post a new (hopefully) original effect everyday. Work stopped due to serious reasons, but I'm up and running again. Please check out my ideas so far, and tell me what you think!
Thanks,
Sam Morgan.
http://www.youtube.com/user/magicsam1612/

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Sam:

I admire your love and enthusiasm for magic. However, I have to give you some advice which you aren't going to like. Your Youtube performances (at least, 15 through 19 which I watched) are awful. First, you do not have the moves down or are not doing them correctly. In your #16+17 video, the move you came up with has already been invented and the standard handling is much better than yours. In your version is obvious what is happening. For #19, every get ready and break is apparent.

As a general matter, you play with the cards too much. It is like watching a juggler not a magician. In #19 you do one suspicious move after another. The best reaction you can hope for is "wow, he's fast with cards - I know he did something but it was too fast for me to see." Also, you have a tremendous amount of tension in your hands - probably from having to think about what you are doing next (which means you don't have the effect mastered).

Also, you are talking about what the props are doing. Only magicians are interested in the adventures of playing cards - lay people really don't care. You also are over proving - in #19 you must have said the deck is shuffled 10 times. That only makes people question whether the deck is shuffled (that people want proof of things that you tell them but will accept things you show them).

Finally, the whole idea of posting something new every day is silly. All that tells me is that you haven't practiced enough. It takes me a month to master a single routine sometimes. At your skill level, it doesn't make sense to try to come up with new moves. Most of what you will come up with has already invented and the standard handling is better. Your time is better spent on the fundamentals.

My advice is to pick up Roberto Giobbi's Card College Volumes 1 and 2. Work through those books. You need to relearn Much of what you are doing - because you've learned in correctly Don't post anything on Youtube until you've mastered it. Become a real magigician, not another YouTube juggler.

If you get Card College, I'd be glad to help you work through it.

Aug 17, 2012
Okay, thank you for the honest advice. The videos have been removed, although the ideas I think I should work on have been put as unlisted, kind of as a constant reminder.
Although I love the feedback you gave me, I have to things I want to contradict:
1. 'Youtube Juggler?' Many people of whom are great creators now, and post on the wire, started out as a so called 'Youtube Juggler'.
2.'Become a real magician?' What is that even supposed to mean? Your saying I'm poor at my art? What classes as a real magician?
I have just started to do gigs, and I used the youtube platform to express ideas, good or bad. The idea of the whole 30 day challenge was to share ideas with fellow 'Youtube jugglers'. Not to fool them.
Although, yes. I do agree with the majority of things you mentioned. Practice is necessary, but only for actual, live performances, not in just sharing the occasional idea.

Finally, I would love to take you up on the final offer, my knowledge of where things I have applied come from is limited. Feel free to e-mail me at 'sam.skillz@hotmail.co.uk'. As I feel I could really learn from your wisdom and know-how.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1. 'Youtube Juggler?' Many people of whom are great creators now, and post on the wire, started out as a so called 'Youtube Juggler'.

Three thoughts:

The juggler comment was directed toward your overhandling of the cards. The multiple cuts look like you are juggling with the cards in that they don't serve any purpose but saying "see what I can do. It turns everything into a presentation of skill.

I'm pretty sure many of today's great magicians out there such as Matthiew Bich, Aaron Fisher, Dani DaOrtiz didn't start out that way. Even those that did, moved on from it. That is what I'm encouraging you to do.

As you learn more about history, you will understand that few on the Wire are great creators. Dai Vernon, Larry Jennings, Brother John Hamman, Alex Elmsley are great creators. Look at the current works by Woody Aragon, John Bannon and John Gustaferro for creativity. Matthiew Bich's Newsletter Tricks shows great thinking too.

What I'm trying to do is push you beyond performing for YouTube. I saw your performance video and that is what you need to be doing.

2.'Become a real magician?' What is that even supposed to mean? Your saying I'm poor at my art? What classes as a real magician?

The comment was primarily directed to performing on YouTube. First, the focus is on your hands, not your entire body. Good magic uses your entire body. Second, the focus is on the props without any presentation. That isnt interesting to non-magicians.

The comment also is directed at the path that you should take. At a certain point, a real magician turns from learning tricks to learning fundamentals, history and presentation. If your goal is to perform on YouTube, you will take a certain path. If you goal is to perform for people you will need to take a different path.

I have just started to do gigs, and I used the youtube platform to express ideas, good or bad. The idea of the whole 30 day challenge was to share ideas with fellow 'Youtube jugglers'. Not to fool them.

Although, yes. I do agree with the majority of things you mentioned. Practice is necessary, but only for actual, live performances, not in just sharing the occasional idea.

I think that sharing ideas is good, but YouTube isn't the best place for it. Most of those folks do not know the best technique, having learned from others who haven't mastered the technique properly.

Finally, I would love to take you up on the final offer, my knowledge of where things I have applied come from is limited. Feel free to e-mail me ..'. As I feel I could really learn from your wisdom and know-how.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Make your next purchase Card College.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results