4-5 min. stage performance

Jan 19, 2009
Hello,
On October 11 will be a twin-city meeting and my teachers said that it would be cool if I could show some magic in 4-5 minutes.
It's very short time so I don't know what to show.
This routine is good?---> Spectator picks a card (sign it) then I would do a triumph and then I would do a card to box and for the closer the best would be the card to mouth.

Please give me other routines what look cool in stage.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would do one effect and play it up big. 4-5 minutes goes by waaaaaaay faster than you think when you are up on stage.
Standard size card effects don't play on large scales very well so I would do Jumbo Cards if you can or you might need someone with live video connected to a big screen if you are insistent upon a card effect. I take that back, Tossed out Deck would play well on a stage.

Jan 19, 2009
I have a problem. :(
I have no money for buying new cards,tricks... etc.
I'm a street magician so I have just cards. :)
This will be my first stage performance.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I would do one effect and play it up big. 4-5 minutes goes by waaaaaaay faster than you think when you are up on stage.
Standard size card effects don't play on large scales very well so I would do Jumbo Cards if you can or you might need someone with live video connected to a big screen if you are insistent upon a card effect. I take that back, Tossed out Deck would play well on a stage.
Agreed with everything said here, with the exception of the tossed out deck. If you're getting spectators involved, it will slow down your performance significantly. I think I would personally do a choreographed routine to music, maybe something like the zombie ball or a linking rings. A tad cheesy, but if done well to suitable music, they can both be a thing of beauty.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Guys....these are all great suggestions, but all he has to perform with is a deck of cards. Let's keep that in mind and offer some other options for him.

Oz Pearlman's Clutch - Pickpocket routine, Tossed Out Deck - performed quickly, I'll keep thinking. I have papers to grade first.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Guys....these are all great suggestions, but all he has to perform with is a deck of cards. Let's keep that in mind and offer some other options for him.

Oz Pearlman's Clutch - Pickpocket routine, Tossed Out Deck - performed quickly, I'll keep thinking. I have papers to grade first.

Maybe a manipulation routine could work...with a final production at the end...

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Tarbell's Cards Across with Envelopes is a killer, and can be done on stage with a lot of interaction.

Juan does a Cards Across that he showed at Magic*Con that KILLED!! Which is simple, and mostly presentation.

Rising Cards.

Just to let you know, John Carney does a one cup routine with a ball that is amazing. Don't limit yourself to just cards. There are illusions that can be done with house hold items. Andrew Mayne comes to mind with his shadow box DVD. Be creative! Mark Wilson's Course in Magic has some great illusions that would be suitable, and I've found copies of it on Amazon for a dollar!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
A card force!!

Check this out:

Have as many people as you can look at and memorize a card one by one showing ONLY THAT PERSON THE CARD THEY CHOSE

Once you have a good amount of people with a card in mind, say once you count to three everyone needs to shout their card!!

When you count to three, EVERYONE will shout the exact same card!!!

edit: make sure that they all know that it is a normal deck with all different cards LOL

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Oii... I like how after he says he only has cards to work with, everyone gives ideas other than cards.

Also, his performance is really soon. Why would you suggest something completely new to perform in two weeks time? We always get upset about people buying a new trick, practicing for a short time, putting up a mediocre video on youtube, and exposing the effect. Yet, you want him to do this exact same thing for a live performance? That makes zero sense.

Back to the OP. If you have already agreed to do this 4-5 min performance, then make sure whatever you choose to do, it is something that you have complete confidence in doing. You should choose something that you have already been doing for a long while. However, just kind of tweak it a bit to make it play bigger with different patter. I will name some card plots that can play really big, and if there is a plot that you already do from the list, then great =).

Invisible Deck- Can Play HUGE for crowds. Have 1 person pick the color, 1 person pick the suit, 1 person pick face card or numbered card, last person pick the value! This makes it so many people are invested in the trick, and not just one. Put the deck of cards on a table and note to the crowd that you will stand 5 feet away from the deck at all times until the reveal. ETC...

Cards Across (mentioned above) - Watch some Bill Malone footage of this for patter ideas! At the minimum, you will have two people invested, but could even invited a third person to do the card counting.

FUSILADE, or another multiple selection routine - It is a basic "choose a card and I will find it", but with upwards of 15 cards from 15 different people! The fun part is if you can remember each person's name along with their card!

Forced card and reveal in a big way: Idea for the reveal could be Watermark, Bruise, Ash on arm, Plant a matching jumbo card under one of he chairs, etc...

etc... etc...

The things you want to focus on are, pulling the crowd in, making it visual, have a clear ending. One trick is all you need. Just make sure it is a trick that you already know how to do. Do not go learn a new trick for a performance two weeks away.

People did however give good advice on tricks that work well for the stage, and you should definitely look into learning those. Just do not plan on doing it for a performance two weeks away.

Jan 19, 2009
A card force!!

Check this out:

Have as many people as you can look at and memorize a card one by one showing ONLY THAT PERSON THE CARD THEY CHOSE

Once you have a good amount of people with a card in mind, say once you count to three everyone needs to shout their card!!

When you count to three, EVERYONE will shout the exact same card!!!

edit: make sure that they all know that it is a normal deck with all different cards LOL

I really like it :D It's simple,you can perform fast and it's looks grate. THX! :)

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Heck yeah man it really plays well with the audience!! Just make sure to use a few different card forces, ya know? don't just do a riffle force for every single person if you can help it!!!

Hello,
On October 11 will be a twin-city meeting and my teachers said that it would be cool if I could show some magic in 4-5 minutes.
It's very short time so I don't know what to show.
This routine is good?---> Spectator picks a card (sign it) then I would do a triumph and then I would do a card to box and for the closer the best would be the card to mouth.

Please give me other routines what look cool in stage.

Ok, did you say "STAGE" ?? By that I suspect you mean you'll be on stage performing for a large group of audience?
If that's the case, you'll need something bigger. The moment your audiences cannot see what you're doing is the moment they'll tune you out. So something like triumph will be confusing for your audiences.

If you HAVE to use cards, tossed out deck is perfect as it involves the entire audience.
If you insist on doing close-up card effects on stage, signed card to impossible location, cards across, or a multiple phrase card to pocket (Mac King opens with it in his Vegas show) can work. Make sure you choose a volunteer that gives great REACTION, because your audience won't be able to see the card from 4 rows away. They must see the magic thru the reaction of your volunteer, hope that makes sense to you?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results