5 rules every close-up magician MUST break

FULL POST : http://geraintclarke.com/other/5-rules-every-close-magician-must-break/

If becoming a close-up magician was as easy as following the rules laid down by the industry over the last few decades, then why aren’t all magicians created equal?

Herein, lies 5 rules I believe every close-up magician should break. An anarchic approach for those looking to ignore the rules laid down by the industry they call home.

Winners bend the rules; their willingness to diversify their approach makes them stand out from the crowd.

Break away from the herd and dip your toe into the taboo. Not everyone will like this advice. But let’s be honest, not everyone deserves to read it either.

A lot of young magicians and newcomers to the industry rely on me to give them the honesty that others deny them. Through fear of competition, or a mis-guided desire to protect them from making mistakes.

Their answers are often cryptic and leave those fresh performers in limbo.

Where do you go next?

Turn off your controversy alarms. They’ll be going crazy, and I don’t want the noise to distract you from this…

READ MORE : http://geraintclarke.com/other/5-rules-every-close-magician-must-break/

That was a good read! Thanks for posting that. However I think the "rules" so to speak shift and change a bit with what your intentions are for magic.

For example the "Don't practice, and don't have a routine" rule maybe great for a hobbyist, or the guy whose full time job isn't relying on magic to pay the bills. However if you're charging 1,000$ + to show up to an event then the client expects a well polished engine of entertainment. Otherwise repeat business isn't going to be so good. Now when you say you remember every single one of those "I saw that" comments let me just say; you're dead on point. So much of my own material has been refined in front of an audience as opposed to in the practice space but I think as a rule I'd rather mess up in practice than in front of a paying client.

That brings me to my next point. Never judge a magician by his book of business. Anyone can get lucky, once. You want to judge a magician then look at his book of REPEAT business. That is where the testament to his skills and professional prowess is. And as a business I disagree a bit with your business card comments. I think telling a potential client that you're "very busy and rarely take on new clients" makes you sound incredibly pretentious. It's a take away close, and don't get me wrong those DO work. But you have to know how to use them otherwise they are going to backfire. I do agree that social media is the new business cards, but I don't agree with business cards as being a worthless investment. If for nothing else they are wonderful for the Out To Lunch principle, as well as other pocket magic routines. A concept that I've been playing around with more and more lately isn't bringing traditional business cards with me. Instead the cards just have links to my social media addresses, and website. At any rate the general rule of business is that you don't give your information without taking theirs in return. So unless you get a card or contact from them, giving up your own is paramount to just throwing it in the trash anyways. I digress.

This has been a wonderful read, and thank you for sharing it with us.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results