9/11 Magic

Nov 23, 2007
NC
As many of you know today marks the 7th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centers, Pentagon, and plane crash in Shanksville, PA. Being so I wanted to share with you a personal story if I may.

Today I was sitting in the Dallas airport waiting for an airplane to arrive to take to Philly and daydreaming of how I was going to find time to practice card throwing and pen spinning and wondering out of the 50 hours of footage filmed how many hours were of Kenner cracking jokes. When I heard a familiar voice from behind me. My skin turned to ice. It was Steve.

I hadnt seen him in four years. A tall, calm, thin man but strong as an ox he came up to me and shook my hand nearly crushing it. "What's up old friend, long time no see. Are you still doing magic? Show these guys some stuff. Watch guys this dude is awesome." My jaw hit the floor.

You see on this very day seven years ago Steve and I shared an experience that would bond us as friends forever. We were in Charlotte about to take off when the controller told us to turn around and go back to the airport terminal. We had no idea why and they were to busy answering talking to others so we taxied the aircraft back. On the way we noticed other airplanes turning around also. Hmmm. Something was wrong.

We arrived at the terminal and were informed that 2 airplanes had hit the towers, one had hit the Pentagon and they knew another was still in the air. All aircraft were grounded. Permanently. Steve started to freak out and he bolted to the phone. When I caught up he was dialing frantically.

To sum up a nightmare of a day, Steves sister had a baby 9 months earlier and this was her first day back to her job after being out. She worked in the North Tower for a finance company. She was killed.
Her husband was a firefighter and was on his way up to get her. He was also killed. The baby was safe at a sitters outside of town and now is being raised by Steve.

We quit are jobs flying and became Screening Supervisors together for TSA at the Raleigh airport. We worked together for three years to help make sure the skies were safe for everyone to fly again before we returned to piloting.
................*******************************.................

Believe it or not I didnt tell this to bum everyone out. I told it to demonstrate how powerful magic can be. I hadnt seen Steve in 4 years and we had been through the ringer together. Yet the first thing he asks me is am I still doing magic and to show his friends something.

Magic means something to people. It bonds people and brings them together. It lets the dream and believe. It can change their lives and they may never forget. What are you doing with your magic and how does it affect people?

Do you remember what happened 7 years ago today? I do. It was terrible. It changed my life forever and I'll never forget it.

I also remember what happened 21 years ago. My Grandmother took me to the Clemmons Center in Elmira, NY to see David Copperfield live. It was wonderful. It changed my life forever and I'll never forget it.

We Will Never Forget,
Flyspazz

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma
I remember where I was... Sencond Grade. The principil was running through the halls shouting "Turn on your TV's!!" Me and my other classmates watched the horror that had unfolded, it was tragic. It's so hard to believe that is already, yet only been, 7 years. Bless the firefighters and policeman lost, along with all the civilians.

God Bless,
SM

I tip my hat to you sir. I am pretty much crying right now. That's a sad story but shows that there is still a bit of magic and mystery left in the world. Thank you for sharing. I leave you with this line:

"LOOK AROUND... REDISCOVER THE MAGIC AROUND US."

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Magic, at its best. Not the stuff on YouTube, not the truckloads of products shipped out each day, this is the real magic. This is what many people's magic can be, if they tried.

Respect, and condolences to all.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
It's hard to believe that this much time has passed between then and now. It's crazy how things move on but the memories seem to burn brighter than ever and when you hear 7 years it only feels like two...

I certainly remember that day and all the terror in everyone's eyes, I'd never felt so bad for so many people at one time before. It changed a lot of people and over time when you looked at them you could see it in their faces that it had left a permanent mark on them. Why things like this ever have to happen, we'll never really know but it's nice to have something universal, beautiful, and potentially poetic like Magic to bond people together. This is a wonderful art that can even bring other people together when they don't speak the same language or understand each others culture.

Wonderful story Fly.

Jul 14, 2008
Thank you for sharing the story and I must admit that it is very sad about Steve's relativies. God bless them. 9/11 brings out horrible experiences for the people who have lost their loved ones, friends and family.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
most people forget about the pentagon attack, i live near DC. it was a big deal were i live because some peoples at my school parents worked there. I will never forget what i was doing when it happened. I was in second grade having fun with some of my friends and our teacher calls the class over. We all sit down and she tells us that we are getting out of school early. I was happy because they didn't tell us anything more than that We are getting out early and if our parents worked at the pentagon that they might not be coming home that night. They gave us a sheet that had a phone number on it that told us who to call if no one was home. I thankfully didn't need to call it. My mom worked at e-trade at the time in a upper level, Her and some people who she worked with could see the fireball that came out of the building. Almost all the high ways were closed off, but she was right there at the buss stop when i got there, she gave my sister and I a big hug while she was crying and keep in mind neither my sister or I knew what was going on. We got that day off and the next day off to. All that i knew that was school was out so i was happy at the time, but i can not tell you how much i regret that now.

D

Deleted member 2755

I was in 4th grade when it happened. The school faculty was trying to act like nothing was going on. Tons of kids kept leaving early and I was wondering why. I asked the principle what was going on when I saw her in the hall. She told me there was a truck accident... I didn't know why the heck that meant everyone was leaving school early. Didn't find out what actually happened until I got home that day.

That was a deep story you told there.

-Doug

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Guys, just to chime in one thing here. Regardless of personal opinion or anything else, 9/11 was a tragedy for the victims and their families - I can see this going somewhere bad, so keep discussion towards victims and magic, not cause.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
That's a great story, very moving. I agree with Praetoritevong, regardless of personal opinion it was still a tragedy.

I support the 9/11 truth movement.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Guys, just to chime in one thing here. Regardless of personal opinion or anything else, 9/11 was a tragedy for the victims and their families - I can see this going somewhere bad, so keep discussion towards victims and magic, not cause.
Thank you. And thank you all for your comments and additional thoughts.

Sep 1, 2007
Wow, that's some powerful stuff. Thank you for sharing this story, it was really... quite a story. I don't really know the best word to describe it.

Sep 1, 2007
And if you're taking a walk through the garden of life
What do you think you'd expect you would see?
Just like a mirror reflecting the moves of your life
And in the river reflections of me

Just for a second a glimpse of my father I see
And in a movement he beckons to me
And in a moment the memories are all that remain
And all the wounds are reopening again

I'm not going to strain my brain to think of something profound to say. Just a few lyrics that mean a lot to me in times like these.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
And if you're taking a walk through the garden of life
What do you think you'd expect you would see?
Just like a mirror reflecting the moves of your life
And in the river reflections of me

Just for a second a glimpse of my father I see
And in a movement he beckons to me
And in a moment the memories are all that remain
And all the wounds are reopening again

I'm not going to strain my brain to think of something profound to say. Just a few lyrics that mean a lot to me in times like these.

Not bad. More fitting in this situation to me however is the following verse.

Will we ever know what the answer to life really is?
Can you really tell me what life is?
Maybe all the things that you know
that are precious to you
Could be swept away by fate's own hand

We're blood brothers

I know the song. I'm not that old.

Sep 1, 2007
I think of the first verse mainly because of the scare I got. My father was in DC that day and my imagination went out of control. My rational mind knew he was far enough away from any significant landmarks to not be in any danger, but that didn't stop the rest of me from panicking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results