A better stack

Apr 18, 2016
USA
I am looking for a stack that holds up better then 8 kings. A stack I can spread face up without being as obvious due to suit order. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 7, 2016
Kentucky
There is a stack you can do that is pretty easy. Si Stebbins stack alternates suit in the CHaSeD order. Takes some work, but works pretty well.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
It took me less than 2 days to learn the mnemonica stack. I broke it down into 4 groups of 13 at first.I learned half the deck in one day, and the rest the next day. After that I would review it before going to bed, and then doing it the first thing in the morning. It seems challenging but it is achievable with some practice.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Yes, Mnemonica is awesome. I learned it with some of the suits swapped so that it matches up with how decks come boxed in the U.S. You should consider this before you learn it. The stack is designed to get to out of the starting setup more common in other parts of the world (Ac on the bottom). Only the suits need to be changed (clubs is now spades, diamonds are still diamonds, spades are now hearts and hearts are now clubs) to use with U.S. decks. Some people just use decks setup the other way (Ac on the bottom etc.). The book explains the difference and tells you how you can get to it from the U.S. setup, but it takes extra steps. I suggest just learning a modified version if you are using decks with the As on the bottom though this suggestion is not in the book.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Yes, Mnemonica is awesome. I learned it with some of the suits swapped so that it matches up with how decks come boxed in the U.S. You should consider this before you learn it. The stack is designed to get to out of the starting setup more common in other parts of the world (Ac on the bottom). Only the suits need to be changed (clubs is now spades, diamonds are still diamonds, spades are now hearts and hearts are now clubs) to use with U.S. decks. Some people just use decks setup the other way (Ac on the bottom etc.). The book explains the difference and tells you how you can get to it from the U.S. setup, but it takes extra steps. I suggest just learning a modified version if you are using decks with the As on the bottom though this suggestion is not in the book.
Do the tricks from Mnemonica still work with that altered stack?

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Do the tricks from Mnemonica still work with that altered stack?

Well you have to adjust the suits as needed, most of the time it is rather trivial. Occasionally something just doesn't work, but I haven't found it to be a big deal. The beauty of Mnemonica, and other stacks, is not necessarily the specific tricks that stack can do but just the general usefulness of using one. In other words, many of the best effects can be done with any memorized deck, but you have to make the proper adjustments during your preparations.

Mnemonica is a great book and a great method, but the specific tricks in there I mostly use as inspiration, not necessarily step by step instructions for a trick. Part of it is that I have a different style than Tamariz, but there is a great deal of useful content in the book a couple of things I do use directly . I believe any card worker should have a memorized deck they use, well worth it.

However, it is not the first thing you should learn.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Well you have to adjust the suits as needed, most of the time it is rather trivial. Occasionally something just doesn't work, but I haven't found it to be a big deal. The beauty of Mnemonica, and other stacks, is not necessarily the specific tricks that stack can do but just the general usefulness of using one. In other words, many of the best effects can be done with any memorized deck, but you have to make the proper adjustments during your preparations.

Mnemonica is a great book and a great method, but the specific tricks in there I mostly use as inspiration, not necessarily step by step instructions for a trick. Part of it is that I have a different style than Tamariz, but there is a great deal of useful content in the book a couple of things I do use directly . I believe any card worker should have a memorized deck they use, well worth it.

However, it is not the first thing you should learn.
Interesting...You gave me something to think about. Thanks for the tip!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results