A bit of a challenge

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
A challenge of sorts, with no context.

What would you choose to perform if you were tasked to create a horror magic show?

Note - Not a "horror themed" show. An actual horror show.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The first would be the only effect for the entire show:

"Chronomadic" in T.A. Water's Mind, Myth and Magik. A guest at a house party in your home (or a home of a friend) becomes fascinated by an old photograph of a man standing by a chair which has a single rose. You explain that the man is an old nineteenth century psychic. Your guest insists that you hold a seance to summon his spirit, the other guests oblige. During the seance the man's voice talks to your guest and then there is a scream. Your guest is gone and on the chair is the outline of a rose in ashes. Later, a guest notices that there is no longer a rose on the chair in the picture, but instead a woman in period dress that resembles the disappeared guess sits in the chair with the psychic looking lovingly at her.

The second effect would be one of several effects in the show:

"For Better or Worse" from Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment. A borrowed finger ring appears on a severed finger inside a wooden box during a tale of marital infidelity.

Christopher -- if you don't have Mind, Myth and Magik and Tales of Enchantment, you need to get them.

Reactions: Dtop

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have both. I haven't taken a run at MMM yet, as it's gigantic, but I do have it. Read Tales of Enchantment earlier this year.

I like that you chose to go story based and tie the whole thing into something a bit more psychological instead of defaulting to jump scares and blood like many would do.

To encourage more responses here's some things I'm thinking for myself.

Due to the nature of the venue I'm specifically thinking for this show, I am thinking of a fairly visceral collection of effects. Through and Through would definitely be in there - possibly using someone else's hand (I have done that before). I have a psychic surgery routine I've been working on, revamping my old one to be much more compact and portable - it centers around removing sins from the volunteer. I recently picked up "Hook" - dental phobias are very common as are things related to hooks. Hypnosis phenomena could apply as well - I was talking with Adam Weiss a little while ago and he had a great suggestion involving a painting that sucks people in and makes them confront their fears.

I'd probably have at least one story to tell as a sort of interlude to release tension somewhere around the middle.

The biggest thing for me is that I wouldn't want it to become hokey or silly. I already perform seances in this venue and they do very well. The target market for this venue (which is an oddities/occult store with a gallery) enjoys the macabre and downright dark side of life.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
One of my favorite presentations is Chris Phillpott's Horror movie effect. An image of Freddy Krueger comes to life. This will not fit everyone's style of course but it is fun!

Classic Geek magic is interesting, Thread by Wayne Houchin, stopping the pulse, Blockhead, the Haunted Deck.

One thing I tried this Halloween was doing Haunted 2.0 by Peter Eggink in a non-visual way. This was an idea from the Jerx blog. I did it at my friend's house but it could be performed in a haunted box, or under an antique bowl. You could even place the deck in a box together with a creepy taxidermied lizard or rat for added effect as if the animal had something to do with the movement of the cards.

I used to perform Jay Sankey's 3rd Eye, with several cards in a bag an a vintage pair of glasses. Not totally scary but kinda creepy.

I'll keep thinking.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I like that you chose to go story based and tie the whole thing into something a bit more psychological instead of defaulting to jump scares and blood like many would do.

As I keep thinking about this, I would go with a series of stories that revolve around magic. I've got a book of Edgar Allan Poe stories and one of Grimm's Fairy Tales that would provide a start. I'm sure there are a lot of local legends you could find too -- even some research into some grim murders and other crimes.

However, with a story, there needs to be a bit of a connection to the audience -- like the borrowed finger ring in "For Better or Worse." The best example of that which I can think would be "Dead Man's Hand" from the Jinx where the magician tells the story of how Wild Bill Hickok was killed. The dealer deals the dead man's hand to one of the spectators and as it is revealed a snap-bang is set off startling the guest. I don't think that would work well for a horror themed show, but it is a good example of part of a story becoming real.

As with anything else, it is finding strong stories and then strong magic to accompany them or the reverse, finding strong magic and pairing it with strong stories.

I haven't taken a run at MMM yet, as it's gigantic, but I do have it.

I think you would be able to find everything you need for your show in that. I've been reading it over the past couple of months and have loved almost everything in it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results