A Curious Consideration on Color Changes

Mar 17, 2012
Everybody uses color changes. One of the most basic things a magician can do is loose a card into the deck, pull out the wrong one and magically change it right in front of the spectator.

It should be noted that what makes a color change magical is the fact that something is changing. Because of this, when promoting a magic trick that uses a color change, the promotional video will always change between two cards that have a lot of contrast (ace to a court card usually). Never will you see a 7 of diamonds change into a 7 of hearts in a promotional video.

Now here is the question: Which two cards have the greatest contrast? The answer to this question will show us how to make any color change look as good as it can. It took me a long time to realize it but if you watch Shinanigens by shin lim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQwjfEUryw&list=UUIE5yGe5n0JOvufxEiv08Gg&index=4) at 58 seconds in he does a color change. It is between the queen of spades and the BACK of a card. However, when I watched the video the first time I truly believed a card was simply appearing on top of the deck.

This is the best way to do a color change (with a few exceptions that I'll get to later). Instead of changing a card you are moving it to the top of the deck and turning it over in one invisible move, or better yet, simply making a card appear out of nowhere. Doing a color change the regular way changes one card; which is to say: the "magical area" is restricted to the card you are changing. Doing a color change this way makes the "magical area" the entire deck.

Obviously this isn't quite possible with snap change (and other changes like it), but if you are doing classic color change try it this way; I think it will be much more unbelievable.

-E

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2010
I think the most important thing of a good color change isn`t the change itself, nor is it the highest contrast between two cards. It`s the proper buildup, what comes before the visual moment. The CS in itself is just an eye candy and has no lasting mysterious feeling without context.
I like RealityOnes suggestion. Makes sense and has a meaning for the spectator.

Feb 9, 2013
Hi, it is a very nice page, it have a nice and useful information, i like it very much. It is very entertaining and also informative Thanks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results