A few questions...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hi, as always as the nice noob that I am, I just wanted some help from you guys, could you answer me the following???

DANGEROUS:

Well concerning this dvd's I would like som help regarding....

1.-I love a good performance and I love to perform, but D+M style doesnt fit my personality, the problem is that I dont find any good patter to use with his tricks, take heritage for an example, I used and I didnt got the reaction I hoped for.... They even told me that the trick took too long. Could someone help me here???

FLOURISHES

Recently I have been practicing a lot of FLourishes instead of practicing sleights, DO you guys think that flourishing makes learning new sleights a little bit easier???

FANNING POWDER???

I think I used it wrong, some tips about the fanning powder would be great.

Showmanship???

As I said before I lofv a good perfomance, That being said, what books or dvd's could you recommend me to kind of learn this??? Or some You tube links I could see to improve my showmanship??

Well thanks for all guys, I know i am still a noob, But Im learning haha, I hope this helps someone else out there...

Cheers!

May 19, 2008
manchester
check out david blaine stuff, mr wayne, garcia, penn and teller, eugene burger- for videos of performances.

"strong magic" is supposed to be very very very good.
also experiment a bit with your stuff, try performing silenty, with a blind fold, comedy, horror, serious and differant types of performing, then you can see what you like.

I dont know about fanning powder.

I dont think flourishes are good for sleights (not saying their bad but) because they are visual and big movements instead of lifting two cards, putting some flesh in the gap ya know?

dont use d+ms style then... to get better reactions you need to play about with your character (if you have one), make some suspense before you do the big whatever (like the card changes), maybe breath loudly onto the card, just wave your hand over instead of pushing the cards around- make it look natural, like magic.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
As per Daniel's performing persona... Thats him, you're you. You're worrying because you can't comfortably replicate his performance style? Thats not a problem my friend!

Fanning powder- Never used it, sorry.

Flourishes good for sleights? Does learning Bass Guitar make you a better drummer? It's two separate things, IMHO.

CL

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
As per Daniel's performing persona... Thats him, you're you. You're worrying because you can't comfortably replicate his performance style? Thats not a problem my friend!

CL

I dont want to be him of course, neither duplicate is performance style, the thing is, that because of his style, his tricks can hit hard, you know what I mean??

My style is more of like mmm A nice guy who interacts a lot with th spectator and tries to have a nice moment with them,you know how? so the thing is that when I do tricks of D+M repertoire they dont hit as hard as they hit when presented the way Danlel(madison) presents them...

Im just asking for a way of performing them that can fit my style AND get great reactions.

(maybe I am asking for too much, haha who knows?)

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Oh, okay. I get you now buddy.

To present (and get suitable reactions for) cool, hard hitting magic, I would suggest looking at the work of Greg Wilson.

CL

Apr 28, 2008
Hi, as always as the nice noob that I am, I just wanted some help from you guys, could you answer me the following???

DANGEROUS:

1.-I love a good performance and I love to perform, but D+M style doesnt fit my personality, the problem is that I dont find any good patter to use with his tricks, take heritage for an example, I used and I didnt got the reaction I hoped for.... They even told me that the trick took too long. Could someone help me here???

FLOURISHES

Recently I have been practicing a lot of FLourishes instead of practicing sleights, DO you guys think that flourishing makes learning new sleights a little bit easier???

FANNING POWDER???

Showmanship???

As I said before I lofv a good perfomance, That being said, what books or dvd's could you recommend me to kind of learn this??? Or some You tube links I could see to improve my showmanship??

Well thanks for all guys, I know i am still a noob, But Im learning haha, I hope this helps someone else out there...

Cheers!

Not every effect will work for every performer, I love Daniel Madison's material, the performances are very entertaining and the thinking behind them is very interesting. Despite this I find that they just don't really fit my performance style at all.

Another good example of this is Lennart Green, everybody agrees that he is an incredible magician, both technically and in his presentation. However much of his material only works for his style. E.g. If Dan and Dave did some of Lennart Green's sloppy shuffles and cuts it would look very strange as their styles are so different.

Some of Daniel Madison's effects aren't inherrently powerful, you need a connection with the spectator to get them to work, in some situations it may be difficult to do this.

Also, as great as DM is, he probably doesn't get the sort of reactions seen on Dangerous all the time. There were several factors that caused him to get massive reactions. Firstly, it was being filmed, cameras tend to make people react more. They also give credibility so people will probably be less skeptical of him. Secondly, I think a few of the people were a bit drunk which obviously causes over the top reactions.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Not every effect will work for every performer, I love Daniel Madison's material, the performances are very entertaining and the thinking behind them is very interesting. Despite this I find that they just don't really fit my performance style at all.

Another good example of this is Lennart Green, everybody agrees that he is an incredible magician, both technically and in his presentation. However much of his material only works for his style. E.g. If Dan and Dave did some of Lennart Green's sloppy shuffles and cuts it would look very strange as their styles are so different.

Some of Daniel Madison's effects aren't inherrently powerful, you need a connection with the spectator to get them to work, in some situations it may be difficult to do this.

Also, as great as DM is, he probably doesn't get the sort of reactions seen on Dangerous all the time. There were several factors that caused him to get massive reactions. Firstly, it was being filmed, cameras tend to make people react more. They also give credibility so people will probably be less skeptical of him. Secondly, I think a few of the people were a bit drunk which obviously causes over the top reactions.
Okay, so alcohol is the answer!!!! I ll carry a bottle of wine whenever I go...

On serious note, thanks, I think you are right,Taking that advice from you, I dont think the tricks work for me(not at all) but at least there are some sleights I COuld use.

Thanks for the info!:D

(Isn't out there a single fanning powder user!?)

Apr 28, 2008
Okay, so alcohol is the answer!!!! I ll carry a bottle of wine whenever I go...

On serious note, thanks, I think you are right,Taking that advice from you, I dont think the tricks work for me(not at all) but at least there are some sleights I COuld use.

Thanks for the info!:D

(Isn't out there a single fanning powder user!?)

It's a great idea to go through Dangerous (or any DVD) and see what sleights you can use from it.

Just because you don't use the effects it doesn't mean you can't benefit from the DVD. Before Dangerous I never even considered using the Gambler's Cop, now i'm working on several routines that use it.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
the gambler's cop is nice, also I liked Half vanish and I think I am going to incorporate it into some of my routines(only the vanish, not the sandwich effect)

And Yep, the same thing happened to me with the TRilogy, I find the tricks there A little complicated, or they do not fit my persnolaty type, But I still Like to use some Ideas or sleights taught there.

Thanks.

By the way, STILL NO FANNING POWDER USERS????ack*

Well seeing as fanning powder wasn't addressed;

First off apply powder to a deck that is already broken in, otherwise it won't hold the powder well.

Apply it in a well ventilated area (outside) and use gloves to apply. Do a giant fan and pour two dashes of powder on the backs and rubs it around and drop it into a big paper bag. Shake the bag around a bit to evenly distribute the power and then shuffle/faro/etc the deck.

~PaCo

Sep 15, 2008
My style is more of like mmm A nice guy who interacts a lot with th spectator and tries to have a nice moment with them,you know how? so the thing is that when I do tricks of D+M repertoire they dont hit as hard as they hit when presented the way Danlel(madison) presents them...

Im just asking for a way of performing them that can fit my style AND get great reactions.

It's almost as if you're asking us to perform the tricks for you.

You know your style, you know how you want to perform it, you're just not doing it.

I have taken tons of serious nature effects and turned them comedic, because that's my style. Although I'm not a comedy performer, I'm just not a serious performer. To sum up myself as a person and magician (and to steal a song quote), "I'm the kinda guy that laughs at a funeral."

You are sure of what your style IS and ISN'T. Don't try to be a magician your not; stick with who you are.

As far as reactions go, you're going to get different reactions for every crowd. That's why I hate when spectator's say "Show me your best trick" because I can't. It's always going to be different. Sure pulling a card out of my mouth is impressive to everyone, but some find sponge balls a bit more entertaining and fun, putting it at the top of THEIR "My Best Trick" list.

Hope that all made sense and more importantly helped in some way.

- Frank

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

DANGEROUS:

Don't take d+m's patter then. Use your own, but no matter what you say, more important is how you say it - injecting you into the performance, as well as mystery, tension, etc. Otherwise, some routines just won't fit you as they are. Some might never fit you despite multiple facelifts. If you want the reactions though - as Frank said, you know who you are, so perform it as you, don't perform it as d+m.

FLOURISHES

They will help in the sense that they build finger strength, flexibility and dexterity, which of course is critical. Aaron Fisher addressed this in another context in his book The Paper Engine. Briefly, paraphrased: Superman would not be impressive if it took all his strength to lift a car, he is impressive because he does it seeminglessly effortlessly. In the same way, it is important to build up strength etc. even more than you need, more dexterity than you require, to augment the effect of your magic and the ease with which you should perform it. Tension in magic is a death knell, and these things help to diminish it.

FANNING POWDER???

There are threads on T11 about the application of fanning powder. There is a section on XB dedicated to its application as well. Use a paper bag, and use VERY little.[/quote]

Showmanship???

Cheers!

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results