A few questions...

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
As I'm rounding up my Christmas list, I have found a few questions along the way about some products:

1. Factory Sealed, from E, can the bottle be half full or empty? And does it get great reactions?

2. I want to branch more into cardistry, but Genesis seems too basic. I don't know if I'm ready for something like the System or not. Any help? I just want to incorporate it into magic and already know a little, but I'd like to do more.

3. What would you consider an essential on any list? I'm looking for impromptu magic that works wonders, although gimmicks are fine.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

May 3, 2008
1. Factory Sealed doesn't require the bottle be factory sealed or full. The bottle can be about half way full but less than that could be pushing it.

3. Two tricks that I HIGHLY recommend would by Wow by Masuda and Strip by Jose Lac'Quest. Both of those can be bought at penguin. They're both amazing effects. Especially Wow.

2 Legit 2 Quit

Factory Sealed is definitely not worth the thiry dollars plus shipping that they charge.

For cardistry, perhaps the Flourishes DVD on the Trilogy by Dan and Dave.
As for an essential, Inside by Daniel Madison looks great. It has all of his tricks published together in a softcover book. You can pre-order it here: http://danielmadison.co.uk/Inside.html

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Factory Sealed is definitely not worth the thiry dollars plus shipping that they charge.

For cardistry, perhaps the Flourishes DVD on the Trilogy by Dan and Dave.
As for an essential, Inside by Daniel Madison looks great. It has all of his tricks published together in a softcover book. You can pre-order it here: http://danielmadison.co.uk/Inside.html

Any reason why you dislike Factory Sealed? It looks amazing, and has good reviews.

Ian

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hm...
1. as noted before, Factory sealed does not require any water amount... but what makes this effect amazing is that it is... sealed.... thus full of water. I wouldn't recommend Factory sealed as I just dont think it is worth all the money you pay. Its 1 effect and there are so many other sealed bottle effects as well that cost less. I also dont like buying single trick DVDs which cost a butt load.

2. Im not really into flourishes myself but I had my phase... I like the style of Daniel Madison more than dan and dave as his flourishes seem more cognitive than the twins'. You could always go classic and by the Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes..... for a lot of money..

3.As for anything else... I would suggest you buy a book or something. I would recommend Joshua Jay material for modern performances. his book with Joel Givens is amazing. His Talk About Tricks 3 DVD set is also a gem. Ben Earl's Past Midnight Trilogy is also 5X better than the twins'. Stars of Magic DVD set of Paul Harris is packed full of his material. As for gimmick work, Joshua Jay's split decision is just bloody brilliant. It gets the best reactions ever. I wouldn't suggest buying Masuda's WOW as suggested above. I dont find it very practical. Yes it looks great and looks very clean but it only looks very clean. "Hey. youre putting it into a plastic sleeve. Can i take a look at that sleeve?" "no... its mine...." and I cant find a justfication of putting a card which isnt the chosen card into a plastic sleeve. Paul Harris' Twilight is always recommended.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
As I'm rounding up my Christmas list, I have found a few questions along the way about some products:

1. Factory Sealed, from E, can the bottle be half full or empty? And does it get great reactions?

2. I want to branch more into cardistry, but Genesis seems too basic. I don't know if I'm ready for something like the System or not. Any help? I just want to incorporate it into magic and already know a little, but I'd like to do more.

3. What would you consider an essential on any list? I'm looking for impromptu magic that works wonders, although gimmicks are fine.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

1. Factory Sealed can be half full, but not empty. It just requires some liquid inside, it doesn't have to be full.

2. Honestly, I don't think Genesis would be, but if you don't wanna go with that... Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes is my recommendation.

3. Forget anyone who's telling you the names of single tricks. No idea what they're talking about. You want to be looking at stuff like The Magic of Ascanio, Book of Secrets, Inner Card Trilogy, etc. - basically anything on jonraiker's list of essential reading.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Is Factory Sealed worth it, or is there another, better coin in bottle?

Ian

Factory sealed isn't worth it at all. I actually stumbled upon the method myself, but bought it just to see how the real method was done. The two methods were the same.

-$30...

Anyway, the trick just isn't very practical in my opinion, the angles are horrible, regardless of what any E reviews tell you, and I can never see myself performing this.

There are so many better things you can get for $30.

Most coin in bottle effects work off the same basis, so in my opinion, it would be easier to come up with your own method than to buy one you could easily think of for $30.

If you really want bottle magic, try FLOW by Dan Hauss. It can be adapted for stage/closeup/anyothersetting.

It's practical and easy too.

However, I would spend the $30 on something else, like another book or something, not a single trick DVD.

Then again, you may as well just call me old school.

Do what you want.

Buy what you want.

You'll form your own opinions, and realize sooner or later what is right.

Respect,

-Sanj

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't suggest buying Masuda's WOW as suggested above. I dont find it very practical. Yes it looks great and looks very clean but it only looks very clean. "Hey. youre putting it into a plastic sleeve. Can i take a look at that sleeve?" "no... its mine...." and I cant find a justfication of putting a card which isnt the chosen card into a plastic sleeve.

Agreed. I have the exact same problem. Unless you're performing for a camera, WOW seems kinda worthless. It's human nature for them to want to inspect the plastic card case that is "normal."

Really? I mean, the spectators can trust that the deck is normal, sure, but, a plastic card sleeve... REALLY? If it was a more common item, it might work better, but I've never performed WOW successfully (0/3 times) to someone (successfully meaning they haven't asked to examine the sleeve)...

Come on.

Just think.

(@Penguincdude- you have a solution? Please share, it's a great gimmick, but haven't I haven't had any success with it...)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm kinda on the fence about WOW - at least, theoretically. I don't have it and won't ever use it, but as far as justification goes...

On one hand, I've gotten away with murder - including one instance where I asked them for the name of their pet, openly picked up their name card at the dinner table, took out a pen, and wrote the name on their name card in full view, placed it back down... And no-one noticed a thing. To use a probably better example, I've used a one way forcing deck where the deck is given to the spectator... And no-one ever checks the deck by virtue of handling.

One the other... Giving them a deck is quite different to giving them a plastic sleeve, and I agree that the justification there is very dodgy.

Also, as far as Factory Sealed goes...

Well, on one hand, it's angly, definitely. I look at the videos of live performances and think, how the f*** did he get away with those angles?

And on the other... he got away with those angles.

2 Legit 2 Quit

Is Factory Sealed worth it, or is there another, better coin in bottle?

Ian

Let's put it this way ... if Factory sealed was a card trick, it would be a $5 1-on-1. For a 1 trick DVD that costs $30 plus shipping, I would expect it to at least be produced well. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results