A Great Night

Ever have one of those nights where everything just clicked? Last night was one such night for me. I had a gig, my first one at a new place. Sterling’s in Charlotte North Carolina. It was an hour and a half road trip for me, but well worth it. When you been doing magic for a while, it can become a job and believe it or not, it can even become tiresome. In all honesty I was not looking forward to this gig last night, but I needed the money. I arrived about a half hour ahead of schedule. I do this for two reasons. The first is to check out the clientele for the night. What kinds of people are there, how busy is the place? I also check out the staff. I find the “cool” servers and bartenders hurry and get in with them. The owners of the place went first class with me. They had table tents up announcing the “magician” being there tonight.

I took a seat at the bar, and ordered the first of many cups of coffee. The bartender brought it to me, I added my two spoons of sugar and stirred it up. I make idol chat with the bartender (Lauren) the entire time we are talking I am making the spoon spin around on the table (Loops are great). Finally she notices and lets out an “OH My God”. I introduce myself as the house magician.

I get an introduction by the owner to a hand full of regulars at the bar. I pick out one guy in a nice suit as my first “spectator”. I shake his hand and swipe one of his cigarettes. I pull out the flash paper and roll an invisible cigarette, light it, and after the flash, I am holding his particular brand. I offer it to him and take a quick glance around the place to see who is watching. The big flash in a dark restaurant always gets attention. The screams gasps and applause help a bit too. Now I am set for the night.

I get with one of the above mentioned “cool servers”. Nathan was his name, great guy. I put a ten dollar bill in his hand and tell him to bring it to me when I bring out the two little red sponge balls. I say to him: “Nathan, when I bring these out, bring me the ten dollar bill, hand it to me and say “That other table left this for you”. You do that and I’ll split my tips with you.” Needless to say Nathan was on my team. I know, some of you are thinking “that is a dirty trick”…and you’re right, it is. I need money and this is one sure fire way to generate tips. I ended up working an hour over my ending time. I have not had so much fun in a long time. The owners asked me back, I made the cut. They also paid me an extra $100.00 for the extended stay. By-the-way, I made $234.00 in tips.

Curtis “Miles of Magic”

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
dude thats awesome!!!!!
i really only have like one or two paid gigs, most of what i do is me just strolling around public places and getting tips!
good job!

Sounds like you had a good night, but one thing I didn't like, and I know some people won't agree with me, is that it sounded like you were doing the magic for YOU, not your spectators. It seems like the entire night was for a handful of cash, which is something I really think doesn't help your magic.

Just my thoughts.

Mitchell

You are 100% right. It was for the cash. Maybe it didn't help my magic, but it did wonders for my checking account.
I see what you are saying, I do a lot of free magic, but when I am working, it is for the money.

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

You are 100% right. It was for the cash. Maybe it didn't help my magic, but it did wonders for my checking account.
I see what you are saying, I do a lot of free magic, but when I am working, it is for the money.

Curtis "Miles of Magic"
I'm sorry but I have to say that is quite a greedy and selfish comment. You are doing something you love for money, you are already guaranteed money and the satisfaction of performing, I think it's then about the spectators. Performing magic is all about them, like a painter, he paints portraits for the people who view them.

Mitchell

Sep 21, 2007
I'm too young to get gigs. I still got several years to go. but wow, man, you sounded great! I like the cigarette move. I'm not good enough to swipe stuff like that. Where was the packet when you stole it?

I'm sorry but I have to say that is quite a greedy and selfish comment. You are doing something you love for money, you are already guaranteed money and the satisfaction of performing, I think it's then about the spectators. Performing magic is all about them, like a painter, he paints portraits for the people who view them.

Mitchell

So, are you against people being paid in other areas, or just full time magicians?

Maybe you don't understand. I do magic for a job. It is how I pay my many many bills.

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

Sep 20, 2007

Mitchell

Mitchell

I don't think it's greedy to try and get paid a little extra for your work. Magic is supposed to be fun for the spectators, but that doesn't mean that the magician should do it for free; I don't think there's anything wrong in trying to get a little bonus at the end of the night. Plus, it seems that his audience had a great time watching him perform, otherwise he would never have gotten that much in tips in the first place.

I really enjoyed reading about your night, Curtis. I like your style of writing, very descriptive and easy to understand. Keep em coming!

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
if i had to choose between 100$ in tips and doing amazing magic that will leave the specs in awe for their lives
or making 800$ in tips, by hinting at leaving tips, and doing tricks that arnt as "orgasmic"

id go for where the money is at...lol

afterall, chances are 99% of those people will never see you again

Mitchell,

Those are some pretty harsh comments there and to be honest, un-called for since you don't know all the facts. I'm going to have to agree with Curtis hands down on this one. I do magic part-time to pay my bills. When I'm performing for money, I'm performing for myself. The audience doesn't know any different, but I'm there to make money. Plain and simple.

Of course, if I ever take a free gig, I'll be doing it for them I guess. And myself for the publicity. But since I've had a bad taste in my mouth about performing for free recently, it won't be anytime soon.

Curtis,

Congrats man! Sounds like you kicked some serious ass last night, and that's always a bonus. Hell, I'm already going to be trying the tips you told me about next week. Didn't go to Red Robin tonight as I had some stuff I had to handle, but will be there next week.

Glad to hear you had a good night, and I'm sure there are many more to come bro!

Best.
Steve

P.S. And for those that want to see another side of Curtis, I urge you to read this thread.

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48840

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
Wow. Great job and it seems like you enjoyed yourself. I don't see anything wrong with trying to make money doing magic, or extra money for that matter. I actually find that trick you pulled to get more tips very clever.:D

Aug 31, 2007
Talking about getting tips, I remember Mr. David Stone has a few good ways to get tips while working in the real world. Those who are interested, get his material.

Anyway, Mitchell Stafeij, I know it seems "selfish" to be thinking about money when you do magic... here's my recent experience earning money through magic.

Recently, I was busking around a school carnival, and I was earning money from it. Now after the thing, I did question myself - Hey, this is wrong, I care about money more than the magic! I was actually thinking "If I don't get money from them, I'm not performing anything for them".

Well, I don't quite know what to say... but when you're doing a job and earning money... you tend to think about earning the cash as effectively as possible. The ideal situation is the "it's just art and me" kind of thinking, but honestly, people earn money to do magic another day.

- harapan. magic!

Talking about getting tips, I remember Mr. David Stone has a few good ways to get tips while working in the real world. Those who are interested, get his material.

Anyway, Mitchell Stafeij, I know it seems "selfish" to be thinking about money when you do magic... here's my recent experience earning money through magic.

Recently, I was busking around a school carnival, and I was earning money from it. Now after the thing, I did question myself - Hey, this is wrong, I care about money more than the magic! I was actually thinking "If I don't get money from them, I'm not performing anything for them".

Well, I don't quite know what to say... but when you're doing a job and earning money... you tend to think about earning the cash as effectively as possible. The ideal situation is the "it's just art and me" kind of thinking, but honestly, people earn money to do magic another day.

- harapan. magic!
I agree, but my restaurant experiences were never about the money. If someone offered me tips, I would definitely keep them but I would also split them with the waiters. I would never "trick" a paying customer of a restaurant into giving me money, that's low... very low. No offense, but I'm serious, I see that as a form of robbery. You're only furthering the stereotype that magicians are liars and cheaters.

When I worked at a restaurant for a few months I never went into the night thinking about the money, it was all about the performance, the money was an added bonus that was only in the back of my mind.

Mitchell

I don't agree with the statement about greed. Listen Curtis is a good hard working magician I have spoke with him about his effects and I as well make a partial living performing magic. (Lets get real the moneys tight right now) MAGIC costs way too much not to get back some of the investment you have put into it financially. Yes I get the reactions and the rewards of being an entertainer but that kind of thinking is juvenile and too much time on your hands while riding the coat tail of someone else's tab. I believe in making money and Curtis understands that as well. Don't get me wrong it's not all about money but most of you here wouldn't know magic if someone didn't market it and make it available in the form of a book or media. That's my take hate it or not it's the truth.

I agree, but my restaurant experiences were never about the money. If someone offered me tips, I would definitely keep them but I would also split them with the waiters. I would never "trick" a paying customer of a restaurant into giving me money, that's low... very low. No offense, but I'm serious, I see that as a form of robbery. You're only furthering the stereotype that magicians are liars and cheaters.

When I worked at a restaurant for a few months I never went into the night thinking about the money, it was all about the performance, the money was an added bonus that was only in the back of my mind.

Mitchell

You just proved my point! You were only there for a few months. Not nearly enough time to get much experience, let alone on the business aspect of magic.

Form of robbery? Hardly. Many professional magicians do what Curt mentioned. All it does is plant the idea in their mind. "Hey, this guy's good, and that table just tipped him $10. Maybe we should do the same..."

Saying it's robbery is a bit over the top Mitchell. To everyone that's ever performed magic as a way to make ends meet knows the importantce of getting the money. As Heba Haba Al always said, GTFM!! (Get the F'ing Money!). And it's true. Curtis is a true professional Mitchell. Regardless of whether you believe it or not, he is. And any pro understands the importance of making money when they're getting paid to do so.

Best.
Steve

Guilty as charged. I perform magic for money. Not only that, but evidently I am a career criminal. I been doing this for years now. Getting paid is not a bad thing. I am not a “sell out” because I get paid, accept tips, or even influence tips. It is what I do.
When an actor goes from community theatre to Hollywood, is it wrong for him or her to get paid?
I work some gigs for as little as $150.00. For other I get more, either way I give 100%. If I am being paid, I give them what they pay for.
Does ellusionist produce magic for the sake of the art? Does T-11? Hell no, they want to make money. This very forum , as well as ellusionist forums, are by-products of business.
Is the “other table” trick stealing? No, I do not force anyone to give me a tip. Is it unethical? It is as unethical as any commercial on T.V.
As for getting paid not helping my magic, I beg to differ. It does indeed help my magic. It helps me buy more magic, to make more money.
If anyone wants to put him or herself on a pedestal of purity and do magic for free, then have at it. Best of luck to you. I cannot afford to. I have a wife and children that depend on me.
Is my love of our fine art lessened by the fact that I don’t roam the streets asking people to let me perform for them for free? I think not. What I do has worked for me for 20 years. I don’t see myself changing it any time soon.
“You're only furthering the stereotype that magicians are liars and cheaters”
LOL, we ARE! Unless you are really making the dollar float with the “powers of your mind”. You are telling a lie. Unless you really can do the things you say you can do without the aid of sleights and gimmicks, you are cheating.
As for me, my clients love what I do for them, they do not look upon me as a liar or cheater. I give them what they pay for, and that is entertainment.

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results