A new deck design

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
As some of you know, I do spend some time designing my own decks. I usually only design for myself however. Lately, I've been designing for more commercial intentions (decks designed for specific effects for example). I've never really considered Kickstarter for any of my designs, because...well...I never intended to sell or have any of my decks mass produced. That being said, this is the first deck I was considering a Kickstarter for and doing a limited edition of these.

So I guess I'm wanting to get feedback on these. Anything you'd like to see, want to change, etc?

These will not feature just "presidents." The deck is meant to commemorate the patriots of the US and those that rebelled against the system to fight for freedom.

backs.jpg

faces1.jpg

Spread1.jpg

Mar 15, 2017
They look absolutely stunning! Are they going to be printed by USPCC? And what program do you use to design the cards? If they are hand-drawn, kudos!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
They look absolutely stunning! Are they going to be printed by USPCC? And what program do you use to design the cards? If they are hand-drawn, kudos!
Thank you!

I generally use a combination of techniques. I typically start designing with sketches, inking and sometimes color pencil. From there I scan them in to Photoshop for clean up and effects. I have a few resources for having cards made. However my preference is USPCC. These will likely be done through them.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
.. That escalated way to quickly
In all honesty, the deck will likely be missing some expected notables based simply on the fact that this isn't about presidents. People that will be included will be Washington, Tubman, MLK, Revere, Franklin, etc Basically the people who have made an impact through rebellion and patriotism toward a more positive outcome. Some of which can be debated by some of their actions, but the deck isn't about those things. It's not that I don't acknowledge the bad things some of them have done as individuals, but the deck is about their contributions to a greater good.

Sep 9, 2017
Looks very cool! (Though the subject matter hits real close to home on the card deck kickstarter I got burned on, I'm trying not to cloud my judgement here.)

I do like the sketch look to Washington, I'm assuming this is the style to be carried throughout the court cards?
What if there was a pop of color to the artwork in the background of Washington, much like there is behind the white house on the backs of the cards?

I have to say, on a personal note, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Raven deck!

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Looks very cool! (Though the subject matter hits real close to home on the card deck kickstarter I got burned on, I'm trying not to cloud my judgement here.)
First, thank you.

It's sad that people can be like the person you dealt with on Kickstarter. The opportunity to do something memorable can easily be clouded by such actions and can scar people for quite some time.

For me, these cards hold a more personal attachment with the design. Being a vet, I've really always wanted to do a patriotic themed deck, just to collect.
I do like the sketch look to Washington, I'm assuming this is the style to be carried throughout the court cards?
It will indeed be the style across all court cards. I have a love for the engraved/etched look, especially when it comes to something like this.

What if there was a pop of color to the artwork in the background of Washington, much like there is behind the white house on the backs of the cards?
This had actually crossed my mind a bit. At the moment, I've put Mt Vernon behind Washington and have been racking my brain to add some color to that background without overdoing it.

I have to say, on a personal note, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Raven deck!

I'm still working on the court cards for The Raven deck and my daughter is already trying to thieve my prototypes lol. I generally print a few a cards off on gloss/linen card stock to get a better feel for how they will ultimately look. She saw them on my desk and has been trying to take them ever since lol

Reactions: Starius
Sep 9, 2017
Just my personal taste, I like the look of court cards without the rectangle around them. Again, just my preference. Will the jokers be duplicate?

The only criticism in my mind was that box as well, but I was thinking that the shade of blue was wrong. Perhaps if it matched the blue used in the US Flag/card backs. Or perhaps the in the neutral grey.

Reactions: Rise Above
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
There is already a deck like this currently out; granted, I like your design a little better.
Oh wow! I wish I had seen this before spending months on designs. Artistically, I usually just go with an idea that pops in my head. I just did a little research on the deck you pictured however and if I'm correct, it is about the US Presidents and the first ladies?

Seems also the Capitol Building is a popular choice lol

In any case, I'll now need to see if I can get one of these decks to make sure I don't do anything too similar to what they've already done.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
They still sell them at Wallgreens where I live in California. Blue and red versions.

Yeah, I see them at Walgreens on the East Coast too

I'm going to have to start visiting Walgreens more often lol. I just picked up a deck....at Walgreens. I also grabbed a deck of Theory11 Arch Angels along with them there. Lots of differences in the US Presidents deck and the Patriot deck I'm designing. So I feel safe there. I'm a little disappointed after opening the US Presidents deck however because the tuck gives the impression that the cards will be embossed and they're not.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results