A New Handling for David Blaine's iPhone App

So I purchased the application and played with it for a bit and played with a few ideas the only problem I had with the idea of using a computer generated magic application was I felt it was lacking something on a real magical level. So after a few hours here's what I came up with. As we already know the method I have no fear of exposure this is just my handling. Enjoy!

1. Go to settings by tapping both corner spades and click suspense mode to on.

2. Then go to card selector and choose force a card. From here I chose six of spades you can choose whatever tickles your fancy.

3. Next get a actual blue back split spades (if you don't have one perform w/o suspense mode to hide back).

4. Place your prediction card face towards the phone up against the back of the phone and place both in your pocket.

5. Tell your spectator you would like to try something different. Since were living in the digital age you want to be one step ahead of the rest you decided to pack your cards in your phone. It saves you some extra pocket room for all the tips your getting. lol

6. Reach into your pocket and bring the iphone with the card behind it together as one in dealers grip. ( Note a little squeeze will flex the card preventing the edges from being seen).

7. Next perform Davids effect and after the riffle force tell them your gonna turn the deck over, shake the Iphone causing the deck to flip. Tell the spectator for the first time to name their card.

8. As the spectators about to blab their prediction simultaniously hold the phone up as you shift your body sideways to the left as if your giving your audience a better view of the screen. Your right hand ( if right handed) comes over the face as in a classic color change about a inch from the screen of your phone as your right thumb stays tucked against your palm hidden from your audience. As the spectator names their card you bring the phone to YOUR thumb ( not your THUMB to the phone) this hides the tapping to cause the prediction to appear.

9. Instantly spread your fingers exposing the six of spades. As their amazed you say " I could have just cut to the chase and just given you the card". As you say this your right hand comes over the face of the screen with your fingers spread and your right index finger taps the shut off button on top of the phone shutting the phone off blacking the screen out. Your right hand continues forward pulling the phone down from your left hand, as your left hand pulls straight up with the six of spades.

10. Done correctly it looks as if the card is pulled from the phone.

It looks really good but the idea of pulling stuff from a phone has been done multiple times by me, Bizzaro, and quite a few other magicians I know so I can't take credit for that just the handling of pulling a card from a Iphone. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Thanks!

Shane.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
So I purchased the app and I played with it for a bit and played with a few ideas the only problem I had with the idea of using a computer generated magic application was I felt it was lacking something so after a few hours here's what I came up with. As we already know the method I have no fear of exposure this is just my handling. Enjoy!

1. Go to settings by tapping both corner spades and click suspense mode to on.

2. Then go to card selector and choose force a card. From here I chose six of spades you can choose whatever tickles your fancy.

3. Next get a actual blue back split spades (if you don't have one perform w/o suspense mode to hide back).

4. Place your prediction card face towards the phone up against the back of the phone and place both in your pocket.

5. Tell your spectator you would like to try something different. Since were living in the digital age you want to be one step ahead of the rest you decided to pack your cards in your phone. It saves you some extra pocket room for all the tips your getting. lol

6. Reach into your pocket and bring the iphone with the card behind it together as one in dealers grip. ( Note a little squeeze will flex the card preventing the edges from being seen).

7. Next perform Davids effect and after the riffle force tell them your gonna turn the deck over, shake the Iphone causing the deck to flip. Tell the spectator for the first time to name their card.

8. As the spectators about to blab their prediction simultaniously hold the phone up as you shift your body sideways as if your giving your audience a better view of the screen. Your right hand ( if right handed) comes over the face as in a classic color change but about a inch from the phone your right thumb stays tucked against your palm hidden from your audience. As the spectator names their card you bring the phone to YOUR thumb ( not your THUMB to the phone) this hides the tapping to cause the prediction to appear.

9. Instantly spread your fingers exposing the six of spades. As their amazed you say " I could have just cut to the chase and just given you the card". As you say this your right hand comes over the face of the screen with your fingers spread and your right index finger taps the shut off button on top of the phone shutting the phone off blacking the screen out. Your right hand continues forward pulling the phone from your left hand, as your left hand pulls back with the six of spades.

10. Done correctly it looks as if the card is pulled from the phone.

It looks really good but the idea of pulling stuff from a phone has been done multiple times by me, Bizzaro, and quite a few other magicians I know so I can't take credit for that just the handling of pulling a card from a Iphone. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Thanks!

Shane.:D

That's very clever. If I had the application, I would try that.

Hmmm I am shocked only one other person responded to this. Fantastic idea Shane I will be definitely trying this out.

-Michael

For you guys that responded I want to say thank you. I posted this a week ago on the original DB thread and I recieved absolutley zero feed back from the handling, I left it there for a week to see if anyone noticed it and nothing. So I edited my original post and deleted it and Sinful called be today and convinced me to start a new thread reposting the handling and I said what the heck and here you go. Surprisingly the same trends pretty much the same I'm not surprised but here's another one of my contributions to this site. Thanks guys.

Shane

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Shane..I think it is very creative but maybe a lot of people on here don't have an iPhone. I'm just guessing because even in my IBM ring of 30 magicians there is only one guy who just got it and has started to play with it.

I think some people read the title and if they don't have an iphone immediately decide to skip it.

Oh well...just trying to figure out why your not getting much feedback either.
Either way...I like how you think and obviously you go above and beyond and are willing to share your ideas as well. Thanks man.

Shane..I think it is very creative but maybe a lot of people on here don't have an iPhone. I'm just guessing because even in my IBM ring of 30 magicians there is only one guy who just got it and has started to play with it.

I think some people read the title and if they don't have an iphone immediately decide to skip it.

Oh well...just trying to figure out why your not getting much feedback either.
Either way...I like how you think and obviously you go above and beyond and are willing to share your ideas as well. Thanks man.

I thought about that too my man I wasn't taking it personal just curious is all. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it and thanks for the support.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I can vouch for the 'don't have an iPhone so I didn't read the thread' thing. That's exactly why I skipped it. If it had 'Looking for feedback" in there, though, I would have checked it out.

That being said. Nice! I'd enjoy that handlng if I watched it (assuming the magician doing the handling is any good ;) )

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had issues with the application lately maybe a glitch it seems to have a delay on certain times where when you tap the screen nothing happens. If anyone else is having this problem feel free to let evryone know here until then I'll play with it for a while and see if I can determine the problem. Thanks again guys for the props.

Me neither man. I am not lucky enough to own an Iphone, I'd probably break it. So when I saw the thread about the app and what not, I decided to just pass it over. No use reading a variation on effect that I wouldn't be able to perform. But hey, whatever. You know me Shane. I wouldn't just skip your post cause it's long. I like to think that I am a better person thatn that.

Any way, I gotta go to bed I have a new gig tomorrow night...

Jan 13, 2008
Yeah, much like those above, I skipped over the thread entirely before even reading. I mean, I have an iPod Touch, but I just wasn't all that impressed with the app itself, so I didn't even bother reading the thread (why read a thread about a product I don't plan to buy?).

I'm glad to see you're enjoying the app, though, and thinking outside of the box (or the iPhone, as the case may be ;)). *thumbs up* :)

As amazing or fun Iphone/touch trick apps are the problem I have with them seems to be a universal one. Unless you can write or design your own unique app and then NEVER release it, the chances of someone knowing the program that you are using based on the Iphone/touch apps wide distribution is too great to warrant professional use.

For the casual performer they may be wonderful, but their exposure is more wide spread than Valentinos

Jan 13, 2008
Unless you can write or design your own unique app and then NEVER release it, the chances of someone knowing the program that you are using based on the Iphone/touch apps wide distribution is too great to warrant professional use.
You can absolutely write your own and not release it...Apple even gives you the free developer tools. :)

As amazing or fun Iphone/touch trick apps are the problem I have with them seems to be a universal one. Unless you can write or design your own unique app and then NEVER release it, the chances of someone knowing the program that you are using based on the Iphone/touch apps wide distribution is too great to warrant professional use.

For the casual performer they may be wonderful, but their exposure is more wide spread than Valentinos

Me personally I don't mind if someone tells me they know the secret it opens the door for more personal involvment if handled correctly with your audience. Up to this point though the handling I created is different and really only uses the application as a step to get to the next level. This is why I designed it due to the fact it was on Ellen and anyone who knows the secret will definatly be fooled. The endings not expected that's the idea.

D

Deleted member 2755

Me personally I don't mind if someone tells me they know the secret it opens the door for more personal involvment if handled correctly with your audience. Up to this point though the handling I created is different and really only uses the application as a step to get to the next level. This is why I designed it due to the fact it was on Ellen and anyone who knows the secret will definatly be fooled. The endings not expected that's the idea.

Well that's stupid. Everyone knows you just called Apple and asked for a special iPhone that pops out cards. Wow Shane, you thought you could fool people with this. We all know your secret friendship with Steve Jobs.

-Doug

Maybe Im just reading the "alternate handling" wrong, but I actually thought the method was pretty transparent. It admittedly got me brainstorming though, and I tried this technique and I think it had more of a visual pop and tactile feel to it. Let me know what you think.

After forcing the card, load a duplicate of it face-down behind the iPOD. Pinch the iPOD and card along the left side between your left thumb and index finger. Ask the spectator to hold her hands cupped in front of her. Hold the iPOD directly over her palms and with the right hand, 'karate chop' directly onto the screen of the iPOD. This will cause the iPOD to pivot off the left index finger, rotate 180-degrees in mid-air, and fall face-down into the spectator's hands. At the same time, the duplicate of the card will immediately pop into view with a loud crisp snap. From the spectator's point of view, it looks like the card was legitimately ripped from the phone.

For those familiar with Gregory Wilson's work, this move was featured in his effect, "Boxspring" found in his Card Stunts DVD and Inside Magic lecture notes. I think this move compliments the features of the iPOD really well and makes the illusion much more three-dimensional. It gets the spectator more involved because the moment takes place in her hands.

Eh?

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results