A new magic based TV show

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Deception
“Kingsman: The Secret Service” and “Dunkirk” actor Jack Cutmore-Scott is set to take on the lead role in ABC’s magic drama pilot “Deception” from the team behind “Blindspot”. Greg Berlanti, Martin Gero and Sarah Schechter will executive produce.

The story centers on a superstar magician (Cutmore-Scott) whose career is ruined by scandal, leaving him one place to turn to practice his art – the FBI. He becomes the world’s first consulting illusionist, helping the government solve crimes that defy explanation, and trap criminals and spies by using deception. [Source: The Live Feed]

Mar 2, 2016
Sounds like a mix between White Collar, Now You See Me and Jonathan Creek.
I hope it uses actual tricks like that one episode of House.

Reactions: CWhite
Oct 19, 2015
And even more...
Talk about Illusions… I have read a lot about this little bit of trickery in WWII history articles. After an offshore bombardment on the West Coast of California by a German U-boat, the Army Air Corp decided they need some way to hide aircraft manufacturing plants to protect them from being bombed.

They initially, went to movie studios in Hollywood. MGM, Disney, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Universal, all heeded the call; offering up their set designers, painters, landscape artists, carpenters, lighting experts and prop men.

Amazingly, they developed a massive camouflage program that effectively covered all war related manufacturing on the West Coast! Check out these websites and see how amazing this actually was! Talk about Illusions….here is a big one that worked really well… To my knowledge no American factory on the West Coast was attacked during the rest of the war. Although, I do recall reading about a bunch of Japanese paper hot air balloons with explosives attached sent from Japan towards the West Coast, they were trying to start large fires. This overall effort failed, although one did start a forest fire on the coast and one did kill someone who found it and picked it up, when the explosive went off….

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/01/camouflage-cali-hiding-air-bases-factories-plants-netting-wwii/

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/for-sale-rare-photo-album-of-berchtesgaden.html

Reactions: David Brooke

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
While not exactly the same, Houdin, stopped a war by performing magic.

Also there's claims that Houdini was a spy for the US government as well. But I'm not well versed in the reality of his life.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
But the government has already hired consulting illusionists as far back as what, WW2? WW1?

The claim that he is the first is probably just an artistic licence thing. It sounds kind of like a rip off of the Mentalist to me, but I'd still probably watch it.

I believe David Copperfield has said in interviews that he has helped out with secret government stuff as well. I'll try to find the interview for my source.

The secret government stuff with Houdini was dramatized in the recent bio-pic/mini series and I'm pretty sure it is covered in Bill Kalush's biography on Houdini. It's been a long time since I've read it though.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh yeah. Uri Geller has supposedly worked for governments as well. Forgot about that. Man, there's more than I realized.

I'll probably check it out, too, but I don't watch that much TV any more. Though this does remind me about Shut Eye.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Elvis helped the military...

Yah I know he wasn't a magician..I just feel left out lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results