A Performance Story (But theres a point too!)

haha, the title is not meant in sarcasm.. if anyone took it that way.

Aside from my love of magic I am also a drummer and have been taking lessons for well over a year now. Every friday night I must perform for my instructor and a few guys at the shop... they just love it. Its a rare and great thing to perform magic for people who REALLY appreciate it and know you appreciate them aswell.

Tonight I was going to perform 2'nd Print by Justin Miller. Its an effect i've done a few times but the Jack Carpenter change is still a little iffy... I can do it but I don't have full performance confidence... kinda like the first time you did a double lift in performance... just odd. What makes the change so difficult is that one small mistake and you are GOING to flash, bottom line. But it was people I was comfortable with... or so I thought.

I get ready to perform and my instructor goes to grab a guy who wanted to see it and somehow the shop owner hears that i'm going to do something. So, in a store with atleast 15-20 customers he yells "Everybody to the front of the store!!! Magic trick!!!"

Suddenly that oh-so-wonderful "OH CRAP!" feeling hits and i'm on. I start shaking and all the wonderful little things nerves bring. I haven't performed for a group like that in several months due to a slight break while preparing for restaurant work so needless to say I was kinda overwhelmed.

But heres the cool thing.. I pulled it off better than I ever have before... I got silence, a few screams and even a dude shaking my hand in thanks.. it was great.

The point? Sometimes you must have just have faith that you know what your doing... you won't always succeed and I wish you could but its just not possible to always hit it one hundred percent.. but you never know until you try. Practise practise practise and then you've just got to say "Screw it.. i'm doing this"...

its a gamble but hey... its better than vegas ;)

Sharp

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results