A question on Magic ethics

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
so i starting a traveling.... "troupe", this summer with some friends, to hit up all the local music festivals this summer, there is like 5 crystal healers, a martial artist, and a few circus performers. my main job is juggling and juggling workshops.

now heres the question, we are going to be making some plays and stuff, and i was thinking that certain things could be used REALLY well in plays, a rope routine, or misers dream, within context it would be great, my problem is, if i propose this to the others, i worried about exposure, what i mean is, what if it just DOESNT MAKE SENSE for MY character to do that. but it makes TOTAL sense for someone else's character to do it.

im not gunna put faith in a non magi to keep the secret, and i dont feel right just divulging that kind of inforation. at the same time, if its just a really simple cut and restored rope or something, if i say NO, one of them could EASILY just look it up on youtube, and then I just come off as selfish and paranoid.

so, im just wondering what some of your opinions are on this, i KNOW im not being over protective of secrets, because you can never be over protective, but at the same time, if its something that is going to be able to help out troupes performance, well, thats a really good thing, and even makes ME just a little more valuable, lol.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
i KNOW im not being over protective of secrets, because you can never be over protective, but at the same time, if its something that is going to be able to help out troupes performance, well, thats a really good thing, and even makes ME just a little more valuable, lol.

I don't think there is a problem with you sharing magic secrets for performance purposes. First off, the effects you are talking about are something they could learn by picking up Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic from a bookstore. Don't get me wrong, the material in that book is great, but it's easily accessible for anyone who has an interest. Second, they are performers and will understand that keeping the secret will only enhance their performance. Third, you aren't just showing someone so they can know the secret, you are showing them so that they can perform.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If you are a team or "troupe" so to speak and are performing with a common goal in mind, I don't see a problem at all. You are sharing your knowledge or expertise with a fellow entertainer who may enhance your group's show. If I were in your shoes and the said effect fit someone else better, I would do the same thing and train them and show them the importance of rehearsing, scripting, etc. There may be a time when you are in "need" of something whether it be for juggling or something else in life and this person may be able to lend a helping hand. It will help develop a good working relationship / friendship.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results