A sleight you regret not learning earlier?

Jan 27, 2018
I'm not afraid to have the spectators sign the front and back of the cards, let them keep the card, yet I was reluctant to learn crimping because it "ruins the cards"? Man I can't believe how stupid I was. What's a sleight you wish you learned earlier?

Reactions: Elioconpraro
Jun 19, 2019
I was reluctant to learn crimping because it "ruins the cards"? Man I can't believe how stupid I was.
Haha yeah same here, crimping has made my life so much easier!

Side note:
With that in mind, I do practice the "proper" methods that are used when crimping is not, simply because, well, I like sleight of hand? Crimping is great but I always try to master the methods that can be used instead because they are invaluable skills to my arsenal.
(I'm talking about crimping in a table false shuffle context by the way)
Anyway, that got off-topic.

I do also wish I had learnt general magic theory earlier, It has completely changed the way I perform, the way I structure my magic, and the way I see magic. (Message me if you want me to send you my favourite resource on learning magic theory :))

Reactions: Theorist19
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I'm not afraid to have the spectators sign the front and back of the cards, let them keep the card, yet I was reluctant to learn crimping because it "ruins the cards"? Man I can't believe how stupid I was. What's a sleight you wish you learned earlier?
I wish I could learn to crimp cards. The only problem is that all my decks are the 100% Plastic ones, which means the crimp becomes permanent till I break the card off. And that's one tear no magician can restore.

However, my biggest regrets have not really been "not learning how to do'' a particular sleight. It has always been ''not learning how to do a particular sleight well".

There's nothing sadder than designing an entire effect based on sleights you ''know'' only to realise you didn't learn them well before, and now you need six months of practice before performing that effect.

Jul 3, 2014
I wish I could learn to crimp cards. The only problem is that all my decks are the 100% Plastic ones, which means the crimp becomes permanent till I break the card off. And that's one tear no magician can restore.

However, my biggest regrets have not really been "not learning how to do'' a particular sleight. It has always been ''not learning how to do a particular sleight well".

There's nothing sadder than designing an entire effect based on sleights you ''know'' only to realise you didn't learn them well before, and now you need six months of practice before performing that effect.

I don’t have any plastic cards to try it out on, but Martin Nash’s Infinity crimp should work well. I would keep the work pretty light.

Jacob

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Most of them. I wish that when I started with card magic as a teenager, I didn't jump straight to learning tricks, but had spent time learning the fundamentals of card handling properly first.

I've recently worked through Giobbi's Card College 1 & 2, and wish I'd done that 20-30 years ago.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results