Aberdeen Thread

KWESST

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2015
Hey all! I'll try my best to be vague and yet specific to not reveal anything yet ask the question so it can be understood, and if you know the answer I would appreciate a pm so as to not have to be discreet.

My problem with the routine is in the examinabity of the thread pre-effect. I can't get it to not be obvious in the twist and to not spread apart or fray for the whole length. I've tried wetting my fingers, turning tighter, and using different lengths of thread, but cannot get it to look like he does in the instructional, nor make it pass by the eyes of my roommates for practice.

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated.

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
Hi KWESST,

Thank you for your question I will do my best to answer publicly but if you need me to explain in further detail or anyone else is having problems that can't be posted here you can pm me and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

To facilitate "The Twist" better the more the length is frayed the better it will be. Try gripping the length between your index finger and thumb and use your thumbnail along the length, this will loosen the fibres more. You may wish to try this after it has been set up too.

If you see the suggestion by Blake Vogt you will see how I attach the length to my wrist by rolling it between the fingers - this is the most important part of getting everything together.

A display that I use is to have the length draped over my index finger, my fingers are spread and I show the front and back of my hands empty. Although this is a simple display it reduces heat on the thread as the spectators have more things to look at and will ultimately seem more fair to them.

Another natural way of displaying the whole length is to hold the length by its ends showing the middle. This allows you to grip the thread and pull it taught - Holding it right up to my eye held like this I can see nothing, perfect for when someone is really burning you - we've all had those spectators!

This is just a general point that may be useful to everyone - thread is not the most interesting thing - hand someone a normal length to look at and they will spend hardly anytime looking at it, as it is very familiar to them. Anything you say that makes it more interesting will create more heat. E.g. I am going to take this 'Normal' thread and break it up into little pieces and then restore it. This scenario creates more interest in how this could be done before the effect even starts and they will want to look at the thread longer. Also, never ask someone to examine the thread and see if they can find anything, this creates a challenge to the spectator and again makes thread more interesting. Remember, thread should only be interesting after you have done something extraordinary with it.

Great ways to introduce Aberdeen thread are by using it to tie things like packages or use them as a luggage labels etc. these can then be handed out if you wish. I also love Blake Vogt's suggestion because it can be examined on the wrist as you are telling a story. This is a really fantastic way of engaging the audience whilst allowing everyone to have a good look - this will lead into the effect and when it is over the story will make the restored piece even more special when left with the spectators to keep.

I hope this has been of help to you and that you enjoy using Aberdeen thread.

James

Reactions: Greg0ry and IsaacH2

KWESST

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2015
James,

Thanks so much for your thorough and well thought out advice! This is a super cool effect, and after playing with the thread for a little while after reading this, the entire effect looks significantly better. I appreciate your time for responding to this post, as well as for releasing such a marvelous effect!

Cheers,

Kyle

Reactions: Greg0ry and IsaacH2

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
Thank you Kyle, you are very welcome, after care is really important and I am glad my advice was able to help you and hopefully others who also read this page. I am thrilled you like the effect, the positive feedback really makes my day.

James

P.S. Your card models are awesome, well done!

Reactions: Greg0ry
Apr 26, 2013
Hi, can't see the part in the video where you bring the long end down and the little end up. Is the little end the middle? Don't want to expose but just can't see what's going on in any of the shots (The hands block it completely). It seem like you're pulling the string and not keeping track of the middle but what is the little piece that comes up above the thumb? Have you been keeping track of the middle. Sorry but it's not clear to me. Thanks for the help and I hope this didn't expose anything...

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
Hi Frank M.(4),

The best way to learn the routine is with the thread in your hands and follow along with me on the video, this should help make it clearer to you where everything is in relation to everything else. To answer your question, the little piece that comes up above the thumb is the end of the thread, this happens because it has been pivoted - it is definitely not the middle. Watch the explanation for the main handling and variation 1 with this in mind and also with your thread in hand and you should see how you get into the correct position. If you are still having an issue send me a private message as I can go in to more detail there.

I hope this is helpful, thank you for your question and enjoy using Aberdeen thread.

James

Jan 14, 2016
Hi James. Just watched the video. Great explanation video. I have a question but probably can't ask it here. It's about what to do at the end of the routine. Not sure how to PM anyone - don't see an option for that.

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
Hi FilmMagician,

Thank you, I have sent you a private message so that you can ask your question there. If anyone else is having trouble sending a private message you can do so by clicking on that person's profile and select 'start a conversation' from one of the drop down menus.

James

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
Hi Nathanhorne,

I am really pleased that the forum responses here have been able to help you as well. Furthermore, I am delighted to hear that you have been using Aberdeen thread with success and getting great reactions from it. Thank you for getting in touch, it is really pleasing to know that people like something you have created. Thanks again.

James

Reactions: Nathanhorne
Jun 13, 2013
Hey James, this is a beautiful illusion. I had a question. This has been talked about above and I am trying not to be repetitive but trying to make sure I understand and make sure I am not missing something. Above you were saying having it anchored to the wrist and using the fingers to wrap or twist. Let me know if I need to pm you if to much info. This is an issue that I am trying to get worked out. I use the nail technique to help with preparing the string but Still find its too loose when prep is done. The string looks noticeable thicker at the start and trying to figure out how to camouflage this better. Is just me with magician guilt or if this not set up write will spectator notice the change in thickness as I proceed into executing the illusion. I know you mentioned in the video about Blake carrying the string on the wrist but from your statement above it sounded like there is a technique for preparing the string by using the wrist as an anchor.

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
Hi JosephM4,

Thank you, that is very kind. In the above discussion I mentioned that the specific technique shown in the video, which was used to secure the thread to my wrist, could also be used to help make sure everything was together. The technique I am referring to is rolling the thread between the index finger and thumb. There is definitely no need to anchor the thread to the wrist or other surface. Apologies for any confusion on that.

Regarding the thickness/thinness although there is technically a difference it is really a rather small one and I would disagree that it is noticeable in performance. I have compared before and after, side by side and although it is more noticeable when viewed like this remember, an audience would never get this opportunity. Even if they were able to and knew what to look for it is difficult to see a difference anything more than a foot away. However, it is possible to make the before thread thinner by holding the thread taught. When you do this, even at a very close distance, the difference between the before and after is practically negligible. You should also find that holding it taught will help with the first question. Remember, as I said above, thread should only be interesting after you have done something extraordinary with it. Concentrate on your performance and you will get great reactions!

Thank you for taking the time to get in contact, I have done my best to answer the question publicly so that if anyone else had a similar question to yours it would also help them. If you need me talk in more detail please send me a PM. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy using Aberdeen thread.

James

Jun 13, 2013
Hi JosephM4,

Thank you, that is very kind. In the above discussion I mentioned that the specific technique shown in the video, which was used to secure the thread to my wrist, could also be used to help make sure everything was together. The technique I am referring to is rolling the thread between the index finger and thumb. There is definitely no need to anchor the thread to the wrist or other surface. Apologies for any confusion on that.

Regarding the thickness/thinness although there is technically a difference it is really a rather small one and I would disagree that it is noticeable in performance. I have compared before and after, side by side and although it is more noticeable when viewed like this remember, an audience would never get this opportunity. Even if they were able to and knew what to look for it is difficult to see a difference anything more than a foot away. However, it is possible to make the before thread thinner by holding the thread taught. When you do this, even at a very close distance, the difference between the before and after is practically negligible. You should also find that holding it taught will help with the first question. Remember, as I said above, thread should only be interesting after you have done something extraordinary with it. Concentrate on your performance and you will get great reactions!

Thank you for taking the time to get in contact, I have done my best to answer the question publicly so that if anyone else had a similar question to yours it would also help them. If you need me talk in more detail please send me a PM. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy using Aberdeen thread.

James

James thank you for such a detailed response. I re-watched the video and I am getting it the thread to do what it needs to do and it looks great. Thank you James for the help. I wanted to mention that I have stumbled on by luck I guess a thread that even works better for you illusion. The only think is I have no clue to what type of thread it is and were to purchase it. I have samples of it. If your interested let me know I am sure that one of use could find out what is and where to get it. What's grate about this is the properties are a little stronger so even though super easy to break you get a very nice snapping sound from this. Let me know what ever this stuff is I think it's fantastic.

James Dickson

Creator, Aberdeen Thread
Apr 23, 2016
You're welcome, I am glad that you found my advice helpful. I believe that aftercare is really important so, I am happy to spend the time to share knowledge that may help someone with an effect that I have released.

As you can imagine before releasing a product a lot of work goes into developing a method, handling etc. so that the end result is as good as it can be. One of the things that took the longest with Aberdeen thread was finding the best thread for the trick. I literally spent months checking and researching. My life started to revolve around thinking about and testing thread. I came up with a list of criteria that would have to be met for anything that I released. Anything that failed any one point would be instantly dismissed and the search would continue - this happened a lot. As my name, and Theory11 are associated with the product everything has to be of a high standard. The thread that was eventually found met the criteria and we were both happy to put our names to the product and from the reviews that Aberdeen thread has received this commitment has really worked. Obviously, I couldn't test every thread in the world or the product would never have been released. The thread you found may be one I haven't tested and if you ever find out the name of it send me a PM and I will put it through the same test everything else went through. Many people will never see how much work goes into releasing a product but I am sure we have all seen the results of a product that has been released without proper testing.

Once again, I am pleased that you got in touch so, that I could try and offer some advice and thrilled that it helped. I sincerely hope you enjoy using it.

Kind regards,

James

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results