Abstract Vanishes

Sep 3, 2007
I'm not sure if others have realized. When you vanish something the 1st thing on everyone's mind is "where did it go?"

So, why not bring it into an abstract in which the question is answered before they think: "where did it go?"

An idea is framing a coin bend and vanishing the coin while it changes into a bb. Or, something similar. Not something like a shuttle pass. I'm trying to think on a different level. I'm hoping to get some good discussions.

Jul 8, 2008
So instead of a vanish, you change the coin into something? That doesn't really count as a vanish in my mind. It could be a transposition or a change. There are a few examples of this in Bobo's. Coin to ring, coin to piece of candy, coin to dice. For coin to dice I would execute the switch, then shake it and say something like "I would ask you heads of tails, but instead, name a number between 1-6" and it would confuse them a little bit until you slap it down on the table to reveal a die instead of a coin. You have all the time in the world to ditch the coin

Jul 8, 2008
So instead of a vanish, you change the coin into something? That doesn't really count as a vanish in my mind. It could be a transposition or a change. There are a few examples of this in Bobo's. Coin to ring, coin to piece of candy, coin to dice. For coin to dice I would execute the switch, then shake it and say something like "I would ask you heads of tails, but instead, name a number between 1-6" and it would confuse them a little bit until you slap it down on the table to reveal a die instead of a coin. You have all the time in the world to ditch the coin. One thing I've used for coin to ring, is I vanish the ring and say "It appears inside my wallet" then explain that I forgot my wallet so you don't know where it went. Now you can use a coin that you took out of your pocket previously and set on the table or borrow one (if they still allow you to) and go through a few sequences with it, then in the end you can ask them "Now I would like you to name one thing in the world that they really want" and of course they will say "The ring" and the change has been done since you started speaking again so you can change the coin into the ring which seems really magical.

I'm not sure if others have realized. When you vanish something the 1st thing on everyone's mind is "where did it go?"

So, why not bring it into an abstract in which the question is answered before they think: "where did it go?"

An idea is framing a coin bend and vanishing the coin while it changes into a bb. Or, something similar. Not something like a shuttle pass. I'm trying to think on a different level. I'm hoping to get some good discussions.
thats what i'm researchign and working on now.....there are vanishes all over, and there are also transpos as well...i'm trying to do some coin magic and create a few CEDthegeek styled transformations.....something a bit out of the ordinary......pm me and we can talk more on this....

Dec 24, 2009
Would like to point out something in what you wrote.

You want to ask "where did it go" before they think that by turning it into a BB. It would sound like you had the BB the whole time and you just made it appear from your person. It's a transpo, not a vanish so asking where it went is pointless, being that you just made it into a different object.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Well the rule of vanishing something,is that you have to bring it back.
Otherwise it makes no sense at all.
I hope magicians are already inclined to think that way.

Sep 1, 2007
Well the rule of vanishing something,is that you have to bring it back.
Otherwise it makes no sense at all.
I hope magicians are already inclined to think that way.

There are exceptions to that rule. I do a chop-cup-esque routine Kirk Charles teaches on Live at the Jailhouse that ends with a vanish of a shot glass. At no point do you bring the glass back. You don't have to.

It's all about motivation.

Sep 3, 2007
There are exceptions to that rule. I do a chop-cup-esque routine Kirk Charles teaches on Live at the Jailhouse that ends with a vanish of a shot glass. At no point do you bring the glass back. You don't have to.

Those are the kind of ideas I was hoping to see. Abstract vanishes. Another good example is the strike vanish.

Sep 3, 2007
Would like to point out something in what you wrote.

You want to ask "where did it go" before they think that by turning it into a BB. It would sound like you had the BB the whole time and you just made it appear from your person.

Exactly, just like how they will always think the coin must be in the other hand. It is the point of trying to come up with abstract handlings.

Dec 24, 2009
Guess you missed the point of my post. What you are doing is not a vanish like you want, and I was simply referring to how bad your comment would be to an audience.

Read up on Sherlock's Susipicion Thread, can't remember the thread. Read up on it to give yourself a picture on what type of handling could be achieved effectively.

Sep 3, 2007
Guess you missed the point of my post. What you are doing is not a vanish like you want, and I was simply referring to how bad your comment would be to an audience.

Read up on Sherlock's Susipicion Thread, can't remember the thread. Read up on it to give yourself a picture on what type of handling could be achieved effectively.

I hate to brake this to you, but I have quite a bit of experience with different handlings. I did not miss the point of your post either. You missed the point of mine.

Peace.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Ok I see what the OP was getting at now.
Its just occured to me that I never do a vanish. Ever. Safe for maybe angle zero but I count it as a teleportation.
I need to get on that.

Sep 3, 2007
Ok I see what the OP was getting at now.
Its just occured to me that I never do a vanish. Ever. Safe for maybe angle zero but I count it as a teleportation.
I need to get on that.

I'm not the best at getting my point across but I think a vanish can be framed in a way that it's not a vanish. It is a vanish but it isn't. That's the abstract way I'm thinking. Like, if someone actually sees the coin vanish it doesn't make sense.

Dec 24, 2009
Sounds fine with me, you seem to aspire to that of a harsh critic, but I get the feeling of just a jackass. Of course it's a free country and aspire to what you like, but since I never complained or really argued I don't see why you wouldn't want to continue.

Sep 3, 2007
Sounds fine with me, you seem to aspire to that of a harsh critic, but I get the feeling of just a jackass. Of course it's a free country and aspire to what you like, but since I never complained or really argued I don't see why you wouldn't want to continue.

Continue what? Just don't post in the thread unless you have something to contribute other than arguing back-and-forth.

Jul 13, 2008
It's members like you, Mr. Jane that annoy the heck out of me. If you don't want an argument, then stop posting in this thread. You're the one who is continuing to argue, not the other way around. Lets try to chill a little bit and not be so eager to start something. Lets just end it before it gets worse.

Sep 3, 2007
It's members like you, Mr. Jane that annoy the heck out of me. If you don't want an argument, then stop posting in this thread. You're the one who is continuing to argue, not the other way around. Lets try to chill a little bit and not be so eager to start something. Lets just end it before it gets worse.

It is no big deal. And actually, you gave me a good idea. As an abstract vanish, would it be strong to first produce 1-4 coins and then make them vanish? After the production I'm thinking the vanishes wouldn't lead to "where did it go" mentality.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results