Advantages and Disadvantages...

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
I've been dying to do some magic, but... my shyness is getting the best of me. I'm a freshman in college and I've been in class for about 4 days now. No one really knows me here and I'm not really one to become a die-hard clique member. I want to be known for who I am, not who I hang out with. Being a commuter student, I have to get to school pretty early before all the parking spaces are gone. That gives me a LOT of time to do some magic. I've been working a lot on my performance and showmanship and trust me when I say, I'm just a sneeze away from dropping the shyness, and becoming known for who I am and what I do.
So, my question: Is it to my advantage or disadvantage that no one knows me?
How?

Just a side note:
Some of the key weapons in my arsenal-
Stigmata
ACR
2CM
Card-to-Mouth
Here then There

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I've been dying to do some magic, but... my shyness is getting the best of me. I'm a freshman in college and I've been in class for about 4 days now. No one really knows me here and I'm not really one to become a die-hard clique member. I want to be known for who I am, not who I hang out with. Being a commuter student, I have to get to school pretty early before all the parking spaces are gone. That gives me a LOT of time to do some magic. I've been working a lot on my performance and showmanship and trust me when I say, I'm just a sneeze away from dropping the shyness, and becoming known for who I am and what I do.
How?

Just a side note:
Stigmata
ACR
2CM
Card-to-Mouth
Here then There

Matt,

Just my suggestion: be natural and don't force the magic. Introduce yourself to a few people while you are waiting. If you feel that comfort level develop with the people you are talking with then ask them if you could show them some of your magic, or entertain them, or just lead into it however you are most comfortable phrasing it. Looking and fighting for that opening to perform can be every bit as intimidating as the performance itself so I always try and break things down to get comfortable with people when possible to perform.

What usually happens is you introduce yourself to a few people and things click you become friends. You perform a few random acts of magic for them and they run and tell their friends, now you have a new group of people to perform for at school. I am not suggesting sitting back and waiting for people to come to you but taking those baby steps early on causes the magic to travel and brings people to you naturally instead of forcing things or trying to force things.

Just a few random thoughts on things =)

--Jim

I don't think it matters who the person is when you are performing to them. I myself am a freshman in College and an INCREDIBLY shy person. You have no idea, but after I got used to the school and the grounds I built up the courage to finally perform around the College. You must be confident in yourself!

I actually have a video of myself performing at College this year.

Here is the Theory11 video:

http://media.theory11.com/1008-Invisible-Deck

And here is the full performance on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9ZHX64yxg

Maybe those videos will help you get more confident in yourself. Remember, I am ridiculously shy and have a tough time talking to people I've never met.

Mitchell

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane
Shyness - Getting Over It

I was in the first situation when I started magic.
I never really talked to anyone, and nobody really acknowledged me.
I always shook whenever I approached someone, and I would put my deck back in my pocket.

You're in the PERFECT position to perform.
1. You have time.
2. Freshman. Reputation to be placed.

Nobody knew me. Until I did a simple trick. I just did a double-lift-card-back-to-top trick. I was shocked more than my audience at what a great reaction they had.

Look at yourself. In life, we all have to get over shyness. It's about time.

You have one of the best tricks in your arsenal.
Stigmata? I wish I had that trick. I mean HOW does it work? To show it to someone who's never met you is the best thing to do.
By the way, I myself do Card-to-Mouth daily. It doesn't give a huge reaction, but it surely confuses the audience. I always end up with laughs.

I don't really have time to stick in magic.

You have an opportunity. DO NOT waste it.

My advice? Well I did my first trick after thinking that if I don't do it now, I'll be shaking in the back of the room for the whole year.

Don't be nervous. You'll have to give it up some time anyway. Why not now?
Even if you mess up, at least you'll learn what you got wrong.
Each performance, I learn what to do, what to fix, and how to get a reaction.

"The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."

Good luck!

[MY FIRST POST]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I'm pretty sure that your shyness will definatly dwindle away after a while. As the posts above state, you're pretty much in a great position for performing already.

As far as the friends thing goes...you'll definatly get a lot of friends in college. Also, I'd start out by just casually (having it fit into the conversation) saying that you do a lil' bit of magic. I'm sure that curiosity will definatly get to the people you are around, and viola...they'll most likely ask to see a peice or two.

Have fun!

Shane

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
What do you want to get out of your magic?

I really like magic because it gives you the ability to do things that no one else can do. I first got into magic to do some tricks for friends and have a little fun, but now that I moved away, I use magic as a way to talk to people and make new friends. So I want to do magic to have fun, relate to people, and provide a little entertainment for those times when your standing in line and everyone has that "bored out of my mind" look on their face...

Dec 28, 2007
I really like magic because it gives you the ability to do things that no one else can do. I first got into magic to do some tricks for friends and have a little fun, but now that I moved away, I use magic as a way to talk to people and make new friends. So I want to do magic to have fun, relate to people, and provide a little entertainment for those times when your standing in line and everyone has that "bored out of my mind" look on their face...

Sounds like your in magic for the right reasons.
If its what you want to do then dont worry about the advantages and disadvantages of being seen as a magician.

Being shy isnt going to stop you being a great performer and magician. Just get out there and do it.

The main thing is to enjoy performing.

G

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
How?

Just a side note:
Stigmata
ACR
2CM
Card-to-Mouth
Here then There

Well, by what you wrote it sounds to me like your getting comfortable, with your shyness. The best advice I can give you is to just go and do it. In the end you'll feel great that you did, and you won't have anymore problems in the future.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
something that works for me is im great at talking to new people..mostly female (it just clicks, dunno why)...takes practise

but as you begin to talk and stuff, just say something
say they ask you what your job is, say something like
"i work at mcdonalds, and perform for people"

then they ask perform what?
"i do bday parties and small events..magician"
now this may be complete bs...but it helps bring the magic subject up
and u can then ask to show something, or they may ask

what ive been doing a lot, at work (grocery store) is when im on break or something, and about to pay
i pull out some odd coins (say 50 cent piece) and do a short routine
and just calmly walk away...sorta gets people looking

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I used to be really nervious when I first started. I did them to some of my friends and I was STILL nervious. But after the performance (I did ACR back then, which unfortunately, something I don't perform to people anymore) I felt great. I had the greatest Adrenaline Rush I had in... I don't know, 2 or 3 years. After that, I had few more nervious performances, but now, I'm just enjoying being a magician. It's just something I like to do.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
something that works for me is im great at talking to new people..mostly female (it just clicks, dunno why)...takes practise

but as you begin to talk and stuff, just say something
say they ask you what your job is, say something like
"i work at mcdonalds, and perform for people"

then they ask perform what?
"i do bday parties and small events..magician"
now this may be complete bs...but it helps bring the magic subject up
and u can then ask to show something, or they may ask

what ive been doing a lot, at work (grocery store) is when im on break or something, and about to pay
i pull out some odd coins (say 50 cent piece) and do a short routine
and just calmly walk away...sorta gets people looking

I'm looking for an opportunity to work magic into everyday conversations and I've got a few:
(In the game room between classes or someplace where not a whole lot is happening)
I introduce myself and loosen the air for conversation. "Do you like to play games? Cool. Want to play a game with me? Don't worry. It's simple. (I pull out a deck of cards.) All you have to do is follow this card... I turn over the top card (usually the Ace of Spades) and go into 2 card monte.

I'm working on a way to pull off Stigmata in an everyday conversation... There are hundereds of possibilities. Just gotta find a way to lead into a trick without ever letting anyone know that's what you're doing. I think magic is stronger when they're not expecting anything to happen.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
easy lol

id so something such as
i was watching the news yesterday, and they interviewed this woman who had stigmata and weird markings on her arm...then they interviewed a budist monk who explained how this happened

can i show you how this works?

or something along those lines
the more wild and believeable the better lol

just pull out your cards, dont say to much about them
something like
"its possible that your body can pickup senses in the air, such as a random name or card"

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Update on my shyness....

Today I had to give an introductory speech in my self-staging class and we had to bring several props that represent ourselves. I brought a deck of cards to represent me. I said I like to do magic for entertainment and as a way to get to know people and make new friends. At the end of the speech, someone said, "Hey, why don't you do a trick?" Once that was said, everyone else joined in saying, "Yeah, do a trick!"

I thought this might happen, and I had already set up my four card stack for 2 card monte. A very pretty girl sitting in the front of the class raised her hand and enthusiastically volunteered. I went through with the trick and accidentally flashed the top change to a few students to my right. I continued on, hoping they didn't catch it. At the end she slowly turned over the cards, and she couldn't believe it. Her reaction sparked a wave of laughter and amazement across the room. Even the teacher was impressed.

Once the reactions settled down, a guy to my right said, "Hey man, I saw that..." I just smiled and said, "That's alright, I was playing to her." He didn't make a big deal of it and class continued.

The teacher gave me her feedback paper for the speech. I made a 20/20 and she noted that I had a lot of confidence during my speech... Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day with my head a little higher.

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane
Congrats!
It's nice to hear that you're more confident with magic.
Keep it going!
You've got a perfect reputation now.
And my teacher challenged me to do a magic trick in front of the class...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results