Advice for a Fairly New Magician

Hey, I'm fairly new to magic (about 6 months experience) and was wondering if anyone knew some Intermediate/Beginner Card manipulations, Magic DVD's, and what decks you prefer. My theme I like to use is magic as something elegant and beautiful, so it can be appreciated as the art form it really is. I'm very interested into the Trilogy and I've learned just about everything from what free tutorials I could find. I've seen several card manipulation tutorials that are either way too basic or way to hard and I'm looking for something that's right in the middle. I also own about 10 decks, but am looking to see what other decks magicians prefer (and where to find them). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

atinfinity

Elite Member
Dec 5, 2010
I think as a intermediate magician, the Daniel Garcia Projects are a definitely must have. The Trilogy is a great DVD, but I think it's more for slightly more experienced magicians.

As for playing cards, find a deck that suits your style. I tend to use Bicycles and Aladdins because they don't cost much and they aren't too slippery for performing.

Jul 27, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Hey, I'm fairly new to magic (about 6 months experience) and was wondering if anyone knew some Intermediate/Beginner Card manipulations, Magic DVD's, and what decks you prefer. My theme I like to use is magic as something elegant and beautiful, so it can be appreciated as the art form it really is. I'm very interested into the Trilogy and I've learned just about everything from what free tutorials I could find. I've seen several card manipulation tutorials that are either way too basic or way to hard and I'm looking for something that's right in the middle. I also own about 10 decks, but am looking to see what other decks magicians prefer (and where to find them). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm not sure if you mean card manipulations or flourishes. If you mean card manipulations than I would suggest Dan Sperry's downloads on this site. For flourishes I would suggest Genesis by Andrei Jikh(Also on this site). For card magic I would suggest if you want something more toward beginner than Born To Perform Card Magic by Oz Pearlman(on Penguinmagic.com) Toward intermediate I would say Jay Sankey's Revolutionary card magic(You ca n find it on JaySankeymagic.com). For decks, I would suggest starting with Bikes, then experimenting with other decks until you find the right one. One last piece of advice; stay away from the free Youtube tutorials.

Hope this helps,
TheNinjew

Thank you both for the advice and I do own Daniel Garcia Project 4. I feel it's a little overpriced but does have very good material. I do agree with you on the youtube tutorials most of them are completely terrible. Thanks for the advice on the DVD's I'll look into them further.

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
roberto giobbi's card college.

it SEEMS a little pricey at first, but there is enough material in there to last you years! it covers SO much.

Mar 15, 2011
Do not underestimate the knowledge contained within books
Track down a copy of Amateur Magicians Guidebook
Its got stuff on sleight of hand, stage magic, manipulation, cards, coins, billiard balls, thimbles, etc.
When I was getting started (Ive been doing it for about 2 or 3 years) That book helped me and inspired my creativity a great deal

Dec 11, 2010
California
As someone stated above, born to preform is a great dvd to buy. When I was starting off it helped me alot. If you are looking to start off I would say card college is also something you might want to look into.

For Flourishes I would go with Genesis over the trilogy only because Genesis covers the basics while the Trilogy contains more "advanced" materials

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results