Advice for a Fairly New Magician

Hey, I'm fairly new to magic (about 6 months experience) and was wondering if anyone knew some Intermediate/Beginner Card manipulations, worth while Magic DVD's, and info on what decks you prefer. My theme I like to use is magic as something elegant and beautiful, so it can be appreciated as the art form it really is. I'm very interested into the Trilogy and I've learned just about everything from what free tutorials I could find. I've seen several card manipulation tutorials that are either way too basic or way to hard and I'm looking for something that's right in the middle. I also own about 10 decks, but am looking to see what other decks magicians prefer (and where to find them). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I would say would be to stay away from free tutorials as they are usually poorly taught and performed. Next I would recommend getting something like "Royal Road to Card Magic" or a couple volumes of Card College so you can get a firm grasp on the basics. Once you understand the basics move on to The Trilogy (which I would only recommend for the sleights).

As for what decks it is up to personal choice. I prefer regular bikes but I'm quite partial to T11 Guardians. Not really a custom card guy.

If you're looking to present magic as elegant and classy, look into coin magic. Done well it can be some of the most beautiful magic.

Thanks for the info and I do agree with you on those free tutorials half the time the picture quality is to bad to even see what they're doing. Secondly, I've often gone to book stores looking for royal road and other similar books, but they never seem to have it. I usually perform with a Bicycle Ghost deck because I see it as elegant and classy, but I don't own any T11 decks yet (unfortunatly). Thanks for the advice on coin magic I do a little of it, but I see that it is very beautiful and I'll try to look further into it. Your help is very much appreciated thanks.

Jan 18, 2011
The first thing I would say would be to stay away from free tutorials as they are usually poorly taught and performed. Next I would recommend getting something like "Royal Road to Card Magic" or a couple volumes of Card College so you can get a firm grasp on the basics. Once you understand the basics move on to The Trilogy (which I would only recommend for the sleights).

As for what decks it is up to personal choice. I prefer regular bikes but I'm quite partial to T11 Guardians. Not really a custom card guy.

If you're looking to present magic as elegant and classy, look into coin magic. Done well it can be some of the most beautiful magic.

you mention the "trilogy" and card manipulations at the same time. what are you looking for in particular? elegant "stage" card manips? or more cardistry moves? are you interested in learning single moves or routined magic?...

Jan 11, 2011
I like elegant approach to magic as well. If you're really interested in this style, check out Eric Jones' material. All he does is very elegant, and there is big variety of different things. There are some single releases on t11, but if you want to dig in more, look at Extension Of Me dvds. I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting material there!

I'm interested in both card magic and manipulation and I like a more routined performance. I saw the trilogy and thought it was great because it had flourishing, magic and other moves and excercises to help create my own material (which I enjoy doing).

I'm interested in both card magic and manipulation and I like a more routined performance. I saw the trilogy and thought it was great because it had flourishing, magic and other moves and excercises to help create my own material (which I enjoy doing).

The Trilogy was one of the best magic purchases I have ever made. It got me started in flourishing, and it showed me slights that at that time, I had never seen before. I highly recommend it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results