Advice on performance

Mar 18, 2018
Just after some advice on building the confidence up to go do some card magic on the streets. I have performed many times in different situations but find it hard to just walk up someone and show them a trick.

Jul 26, 2016
I'm sure there are other members on here who will have great tips, but here is my particular thinking on the subject and the suggestions that I have to offer:

It is human nature for people to be apprehensive about strangers approaching them outside of a familiar social or professional setting where they are in a comfort zone. Generally speaking, the street is not such an environment . The "fight or flight" instinct, the need to know they are safe and secure, is deeply embedded in the human brain stem and has its roots going back to the stone age or before, when there were a lot of predators to deal with. So this need for safety and security is at the top of the list of peoples' needs, and overrides their social desires and needs. I guess that is just psychology 101.

So, the key is to put them at ease by conducting yourself in a manner that will make them be less defensive and assure them that they have nothing to fear from you. Even if they do not fear a stranger on the street they may be concerned that one who approaches them wants to panhandle money from them or sell them something or push some kind of political or charitable agenda, which most often people just don't feel like dealing with.

How then, do we put them at ease, show them we are no threat or a pest, and make them receptive to being entertained by magic? Well, if you approach someone and ask something like: "Hi, Would you like to see a magic trick?" it is an invitation for them to say No. They are taken by surprise, and their guard is very much up at that point. The way around that is instead of starting out by asking if you can do magic, and setting yourself up for rejection, is to just DO magic before you say anything.

What I used to do when performing close up magic on the street was to walk up to someone or a group, not getting to close into their space, but close enough and in a position where I knew they could clearly see me. Holding a piece of flash paper and an old silver dollar finger palmed, I would light the flash paper and produce the coin out of the flame. Most people think that is really cool and magical, and often they would smile, and automatically just relax. They would then know I was not a criminal, or a panhandler, or salesman or canvassing them in some way or other, and at the same time, they would know I am a magician, without my ever needing to say so. Unless they seemed like they were unfriendly or didn't want to bother, I would then go into a coin roll, then a couple vanishes and reproductions. At that point the ice is broken, and they are loosened up to where you can't closer and say, "Thanks for watching. My name is ______; I hope you enjoyed that. If you liked that one I've got one more you might enjoy." Most of the time they will give you the green light. Then pull out your cards or whatever. [Caution: Don't try to do anything that requires borrowing money from them.] Sometimes they will, decline to see any more magic, and if they do do, don't take it to heart or take it personal. There will always be people who just aren't in to watching at that moment, and there could be many reasons, such as they need to be somewhere, or they have something else weighing on their mind, or just aren't in the mood. Wish them a great day! Overall, your confidence level will get higher with experience, and if you tell yourself you are going to have fun and project a friendly, polite, light-hearted attitude - and things will go smashingly!

Aug 15, 2017
Just after some advice on building the confidence up to go do some card magic on the streets. I have performed many times in different situations but find it hard to just walk up someone and show them a trick.
Have confidence and belief in yourself.
If you don't believe in yourself, how will others believe in you? Even more so, others who have never met you before?

Stay calm. Too much hyperactiveness is actually not good. Being energetic and being hyper are two different things.

Relax, what have you got to lose? You'll prolly never even meet these guys again, so ask yourself, "What the heck?" I mean, just go and perform man! Chances (and a lot of them) are that they will love what you do, and may even start snapchatting you in the middle of your performance, because even today, VERY FEW people have seen a magician LIVE. So all in all, the ball is already in your court mate, just make the best of it.

And if they DON'T wanna see it or reject it, well, their loss. They just missed a performance by a brilliant magician, right?

Also, remember, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Always remind yourself that people may have more important, and prolly stressful stuff to do. They might wanna see your work but, they just can't. Then, just move away.

It comes with experience, knowing who might be a suitable spectator. And to get that, you'll have to go out and do it, right? :)

And, just a tip, get someone with a camera if possible...and maybe, say it is a You Tube video or something for your new channel, whether you intend to post it online or not. It's the best way, because::-

1) Someday you might want to upload it. Then you'd already have their permission.
2) Also, the more important side to this advice, people love starring online. Sso if you give them that condition, they will be more inclined to see what you've got.

Aaah, this selfish world.
:D

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
There is no right or wrong answer necessarily. Watever makes you most comfortable. But here are anfew ideas to help you build confidence and how to approach people. I also suggest “The Approach” by Jamie Grant. Great book with a ton of valuable insight!

Reactions: Rgordon
Feb 27, 2018
There is no right or wrong answer necessarily. Watever makes you most comfortable. But here are anfew ideas to help you build confidence and how to approach people. I also suggest “The Approach” by Jamie Grant. Great book with a ton of valuable insight!

I second the recommendation for the Approach. After seeing it recommended twice in one of my threads I bought it and I recommend you do the same. In case it’s of help I wrote a post about doing just this a couple of days ago, albeit in a brewery.

https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/success-story-overcoming-performance-anxiety.51397/

My recommendation is to find someone who’s not in a hurry and just strike up a conversation for 5-10 mins. Once they’ve invested some time in talking to you they know you’re not trying to fleece them or push something and they’re way more likely to be receptive.

Reactions: Rgordon
Mar 18, 2018
Thank you all for you advice very helpful and in-depth. I feel as though my tricks are well worked on and are happy with them.. it just taking that next step ! I feel fine when doing a show at a party where your already talking and mingaling with ppl.

I’m from Australia and the magic community is very small so it’s hard to fine a like minded person to bounce methods and tricks off of. I’m self taught as of now but am trying to find a way in to a group or something that will help my magic progress to something greater.

May 14, 2017
Greece
As i do street art 4 years now, i can say this: No it is not simple to go outside and stop a stranger to saw him magic. But as for everything in this life..you "build" this , step by step. So what can you do for the beggining? Take a small speaker and your magic staff. Find a place (not very crowed) and stay there. Put music on and start to do some flourish moves or simple cardistry. You can also learn a ball manipullation trick and do it. Ok in the first day maybe no one will stop. But you will see in the other days that yes they will stop. Because you saw something that they dont see it everyday. So when a single person will stop and starting to spectate your show there you find a time to stop what you doing and take the deck of cards and ask him/her "Ok..lets see now something strange...". This is what i did in the first moments of my journey in the street magic. I hope that i help...Sorry for my english...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results