Advice?

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Hey guys,
I've just posted a "test" video in the media section... I've been into magic for about 2 years and was wondering if anyone could sort of tell me if I should be doing better, or what I need to work on. I left out the music so you can hear the moves as well as see them. Live performances are coming...

http://media.theory11.com/802-Skills-Check...

Thanks for the help,

-Matt

Sep 3, 2007
Cool, you did some doubles, ego's a pass and a thumb fan...
TWO YEARS and you've acomplished that?
The being said, it was very smooth, you could have up'd the video qualitiy, music would have been nice (even just in the background. you could have even'd the sound so we could still hear your moves...)
Seriously...
Buy some new books or something.
If you like card magic, check out John Bannon's stuff, he's excellent.
Your great at what you've shown us, but thats not saying much. You could definetly hit the streets with those moves and get good reactions, but bringing it up to people like us, you cant expect to get 5/5's from everyone, as Im sure you wernt.
There is so much sleight of hand out there, Id say broaden your horizons.
Peace

Sep 1, 2007
You have a very solid base to work from there. What I would like to see next time are those skills applied to actual effects!

I'm jealous of your ego change; for some reason, I've never been able to get this down, and there's one effect I do that would be so much better for it!

I'm also a little taken aback at all the comments about video quality, putting on music or editing. Like producing a slick video is the point!

Ray

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
Cool, you did some doubles, ego's a pass and a thumb fan...
TWO YEARS and you've acomplished that?

He stated later that he definatly didn't show EVERYTHING he learned in 2 years. But even if he took 2 years to learn that. Whats the biggy?
Ohhh right I forgot... we magicians need always new and fancy stuff and moves every 2 weeks. Sorry my bad.

Topic:
I liked the video, even though it wasn't really filmed from the specs angle. The pass was covered enough to not flash it for layman, although it seemed a bit fast for me.
The double was very nice, but I wanted to ask you why you do the flourish-ish version of a double?
Ego change was VERY nice. All in all I'd like to say good job, and it doesn't matter how long you do magic as long as you do your magic well. Which you do in that video.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Cool. Thanks guys. For those of you thinking, "That's it? Two years for that?" I should've explained... I've got a lot more stuff I'm working on. I have dananddave's The Trilogy, The Daniel Garcia Project, and everything Wayne Houchin has ever taught to help me out. I'm really eager to get out on the streets and get you guys some live performances... I've got a 5-10 minuite card routine that ends with Card to Wallet that I'm ready to try out, so. We'll see how it goes.

-Matt

Sep 2, 2007
Your double lift was flawless, the changes were quick and effective, my only critique is that whenever you performed the pass it looked, as a spectator, odd; however, since there is no way to use misdirection with a camera, nice job. :)

(I was fine with the lack of music, as it was offset with the omnipresence of magic.)

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Thanks to everyone for your comments and constructive criticism. I can't wait to get out on the street, get some expierience, and bring you some footage of great reactions, and let's not forget- great magic.

-Matt

Gin

Oct 5, 2007
Europe
I think you should try to work a little bit more open whenever it is possible. You covered the cards very often and long with your free hand for my personal taste. Move it farer away from the deck whenever you can. Also you should try to hold the whole deck a little bit more "above" in my oppinion. Let it "floate" over your palm while holding it in dealers grip. But remember: Don't apply these advice if they do not fit your style. (You are aware of your style, I hope?)

Gin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results