Aerial Maneuvers

Mar 14, 2019
Hey folks,
I am mostly magic,but like to flourish here and there too. This sounds like the place to ask for help with this issue. I always have a problem with one solitary card departing from the packet I'm trying to spin or flip 360 degrees through the air. For example I'm latley trying to add a 360 flip with the last packet after a sequence of swing cuts and the one card from the top of the packet will fly off out of control while the rest of it will usually end up what I'm wanting it to do. Does anybody have an answer to this problem? I was wondering if it's some kind of fundamental thing I'm missing or is it bad luck? Science? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Is this what you intend it to look like? If so, I think I know why your cards are falling. If not, tell me.

PS: I apologise for the quality, it was the best I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

Mar 14, 2019
Exactly! Only difference is that I was trying to spin it counter clockwise with the ring finger of my right hand.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Exactly! Only difference is that I was trying to spin it counter clockwise with the ring finger of my right hand.
This way?

In the video you posted, I can't see how your fingers are positioned. Is your ring finger in the corner? Because that way seems to give very less control on the packet to be spun. It also gives a weak trajectory to the packet. Try positioning your ring finger's outermost joint beside the index of the card. So from a bottom view, the top of your ring finger can be seen laterally in the same level as the card's outer index. Of course, the ring finger protrudes significantly from the face of the packet in this position.

Use your hand motions to help. For me, an upward and diagonally left and backwards direction works the best. During the motion of the spinning packet, the left side of the outermost phalange of the ring finger is gently sliding against the face of the packet, and the ring finger may move slightly upwards here (a very minuscule movement which you'll probably do instinctively anyways).

8-12 cards seem to work the best. Any more than that and the packet is just too heavy. Too few cards (4-5) seem to work, but I prefer a moderately sized packet as it gives more control. Do what works for you.

The deck should be broken in or even better, a poop deck. That way, the packet doesn't separate and the spin is easier. With practice of course, you'll be able to do it with any deck.

At the end of the day, just play around with it. It's simple and if you experiment with the motions of your hand, you should be able to land it pretty consistently.

PS:- If you want to make it flashier, I'm doing it with a swivel cut opening into Charlier midway, packet spinning into the open cut, and then closing the cut.

Reactions: juicinthepips
Mar 14, 2019
Yes Ive noticed most of the time I pull it off it's usually a thinner packet of cards. And also you're right about the trajectory because it seems like it's spinning out of control sometimes and landing off-centered or sometimes completely sideways. I'll pay more attention to my finger placement and practice that more. Sometimes something seems like it will be easy so I expect to pick it up more quickly . Thank you for your replies you've been a great help. When I watch cardists they really blow me away. I have the utmost respect for them.

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results