Aether Cards & The Vortex Deck

Eairly Concept Desing.

2e5t5w0.png

First, let's talk about Aether. Aether is a project Robert Butler and Alexander Isaacs have started to accomplish what we set out to do: create decks. We have absolutely mind-blowing long-term goals in mind, but we can't get to those goals without first creating a financial and artistic base to stand upon. In the coming months, you guys will preview all the innovative features the Aether website will push. All the features will be centered around you guys, the customers. We want you guys to feel like you're directly involved with the company - like you're a part of it. There are obvious ways to incorporate this (the Vortex backs, Jokers and Ace of Spades are a direct result of community feedback) but then there are new and creative ways of doing this.

That being said, I am still very new to the card community. Despite an ever-growing collection, I am nowhere near the best collections around. Despite my constant research of cards, I am nowhere near the most knowledgeable. Despite my constant practice, I am a terrible magician and cardist. This is why Aether exists. To compile a team of people that are the best at what they do. I can't program a website, and we have two amazing programmers working on the team I haven't the time to manage finances or create industry contacts, and Robert has been invaluable in that regard.

------------------------------------------------
Now on to the logistics!
------------------------------------------------

With our upcoming Kickstarter project on the horizon, I believe it is about time we disclose exactly what is coming to fruition very soon. It is no secret that I have been working on my own deck of playing cards for over six months now. What started as a project for myself, to simply see if I can accomplish something of that feat, turned into something hundreds of people e-mailed me about asking (sometimes demanding) about where they can get it and pushing me to make my concepts a reality.

In the interest of full disclosure, this thread will be about how we will handle creating the deck. This is information that collectors will definitely want to take note of, as it directly influences the availability of the cards.

So for starters, our goal is to get at least $15,000. This will enable us to do VERY many things:

1. The cards will be printed in a 5000 deck run.
2. A professional and sleek website will be put up for our company, Aether.
3. We will be able to fund amazing giveaways.
4. 100% of the money left over is going to go into printing the next deck we have planned.

We are not in this for profit, we are in this 100% to create what we enjoy most in life: Cards. In fact, with our set up, we won't see an extra dime to spend on our own things for a very long time. This is not an accident. With money not looming on the horizon, you guys will know we are here purely because this is what we love, and not because we want to make a quick buck.

Now, on to the fun!

How will we be releasing these cards?

Well, for those familiar to Kickstarter, you may be familiar with the outline. Many, however, may not be familiar with how it works.

Think of our Kickstarter page as a pre-order for the cards. Putting money down on Kickstarter enables you to "pick a reward" which is usually something really awesome like discounted decks, free collectibles, and something even for people who want to get the cards way before anyone else can.

Putting down money and picking a reward GUARANTEES you your reward when the cards are released.

We are launching the Kickstarter with limited quantities of each reward variation. When a reward is out, it is OUT. There will be absolutely no way to get it after it runs out.

That being said, we may adjust quantities depending on the demand and supply, but that is highly unlikely.

Of the 5000 decks, 3000 will be sold through Kickstarter. Buying the cards on Kickstarter is the only way to guarantee you get these cards. Obvious incentives include launch-price decks with bulk discounts, as well as across-the-board free shipping. Kickstarter is also the only way to get these cards before official launch date (TBA) and the only way to get the framed art-piece I've personally slaved over to commemorate the first deck we make.

We will be releasing the cards officially in a much smaller capacity. Only 500 decks will be released on launch, and the remaining 500 will be sold off in tiny batches, kept for promotions and giveaways, and things like that.

The cards are priced at $10 a deck. This price-tag may seem steep, but keep in mind that with our rewards you get some neat stuff. The biggest reward is free shipping. That's $6 (and more if you buy bricks) put towards your purchase. Buying a $4 deck of generic cards online ends up being $10.

As always, everything you've read so far has been created to ensure that this deck is made, and that we can continue making decks in the future if this launch is successful.

We can't do anything without you guys, and believe me when I say we have some absolutely amazing things planned in the future.

Kickstarter will be live October 10th. We are currently finalizing the prize bundles, putting together teasers and finalizing the critical card designs for print. Over the course of the Kickstarter, the design for the entire deck will be finalized.

Bookmark http://AetherCards.com ! It currently leads directly to our Twitter, but in the future this will be our website URL.

Our Facebook is live! "Like" us, and friend me and the rest of the team if you'd like:
http://facebook.com/aethercards

*REVEALING* teaser incoming @ 200 Twitter followers & 100 Facebook likes.

We will continue to update this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, were almost ready to release the second teaser for the Vortex Deck on twitter and on facebook. The support for this project has been very supprising. We only need 25 more followers on twitter before we release the teaser. but in the mean time I would like to ask you a question. We at Aether Cards have research many stocks and finishes and are curious what the community thinks would be the ultimate combination to use on the Vortex.

Sep 13, 2011
London, UK
I hate to be the one who has to say this, but this thread is so, so funny.

How old are you? Kid, everyone harbors plans for global domination, but we try and keep it to ourselves!

How old are you? Kid, everyone harbors plans for global domination, but we try and keep it to ourselves!

Our whole team is very far from being "kids."

That long post was actually meant for a different forum where what we do is a little more renown than here. However, that being said, your condescending tone isn't really appreciated. I don't doubt that this design may not be your cup of tea, and that's just excellent. In fact, if you have suggestions to make I am more than willing to listen.

My apologies for having a post go up that doesn't properly show off what we're doing to this community.

Instead of reading that giant wall o' text up there, here are some bullet points to come away with:

- New company, created by friends with a goal to just create what we love: cards.
- The first deck is called Vortex, and is going on Kickstarter in October.
- We are already very far into the design process and have pretty much everything ready to go sans funding.
- We aren't releasing every image of the deck, but we are releasing teasers leading up to the Kickstarter, which are all visible via our Facebook (http://facebook.com/aethercards) or Twitter {http://twitter.com/aethercards)

We have been asking the community what their favorite stock/finish combinations are and we have finalized our decision based on that. The reveal, along with some other stuff, goes up at 200 Twitter followers.

Thanks for reading, praising, or critiquing. We take every message to heart and no comment goes unread or unconsidered.

Who do you think you are to go talking to people like this? The forums here are much different than others in that the people here make the effort to support each other, and if someone disagrees with another than they have all the right to. But not so dramatically.
I love it when a person goes out of their to make such an effort like this and fully suppoert you all! Hope everything goes well and can't wait to see the deck!

Sep 13, 2011
London, UK
Our whole team is very far from being "kids."

That long post was actually meant for a different forum where what we do is a little more renown than here. However, that being said, your condescending tone isn't really appreciated. I don't doubt that this design may not be your cup of tea, and that's just excellent. In fact, if you have suggestions to make I am more than willing to listen.

My apologies for having a post go up that doesn't properly show off what we're doing to this community.

Instead of reading that giant wall o' text up there, here are some bullet points to come away with:

- New company, created by friends with a goal to just create what we love: cards.
- The first deck is called Vortex, and is going on Kickstarter in October.
- We are already very far into the design process and have pretty much everything ready to go sans funding.
- We aren't releasing every image of the deck, but we are releasing teasers leading up to the Kickstarter, which are all visible via our Facebook (http://facebook.com/aethercards) or Twitter {http://twitter.com/aethercards)

We have been asking the community what their favorite stock/finish combinations are and we have finalized our decision based on that. The reveal, along with some other stuff, goes up at 200 Twitter followers.

Thanks for reading, praising, or critiquing. We take every message to heart and no comment goes unread or unconsidered.

Okay, fair enough. I apologise if I said anything that was out of order. Tbh, your designs actually look pretty great.

I suppose maybe I'm just too cynical to see a pack of $10 cards thriving amongst the magic titans like T11 and Ellusionist. I wish it could succeed, but I have my doubts. Sorry if I've said anything out of order, I wish you guys all the best.

Tom

Tom,

Others have succeeded selling $10 decks that do less. Now, to be fair, as long as people purchase these through Kickstarter, the prices include free shipping (discounted International shipping) and other goodies ranging from contest entries, uncut sheets, bulk discounts and much more.

We have no intention of knocking on the doors of T11 or E; both are two companies we adore.

We want to find our own niche and be our own guys and, with any luck, we will be able to develop this deck of cards thanks to all of you.

- Alex

Update! We are reducing the Kickstarter prices because we can.

But no, seriously, we've been looking over our numbers and charging $10 a deck makes us more money than we need. Our goal is to charge you guys as little as possible while making enough to fund the deck, the shipping costs, and website costs.

The decks are now $9 each with bulk discounts for people who buy more than two.

Shipping is 100% free domestically, doesn't matter what you order.
For those of you smacked around by ridiculous International shipment costs, we are offering $8 flat rate international shipping on all orders. Doesn't matter what you buy, it's a flat $8.

Our Kickstarter goal is $20,000 to break even. Every dollar we make over that will be used to go into printing our second deck without the use of Kickstarter.

So if by some magical means we make $40,000, we will launch our next deck from our own website. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results