Alice in Wonderland help!

Right guys, I need some help!

I have probably posted this before (and Craig Browning gave me some awesome ideas I need to re look at!) but I am working on an Alice in Wonderland themed parlour/cabaret show. So far I am thinking of using Dan Haus Growing Ring as well as combining that with a jumbo half dollar to get the small to large then back again effect that is achieved when Alice eats the cake and drinks the liquid. I am also planning on a cups and balls routine with tea cups and sugar cubes. I am wanting to also do (although I do not yet have) a colour changing rose (painting the roses red) some card manipulation and ending on a card fountain.

I am however finding difficulty thinking what else I might be able to to. The show needs to last from 45 minutes to an hour. I was thinking of maybe starting with something like having a sponge white rabbit appear from a pocket watch, or do something like a basic sponge rabbit routine with a large white sponge rabbit appearing at the end or something like that. I did originally also want to do something with the small door at the start but it fell through when my carpenter stopped talking to me.

The show itself is to be family friendly (not a kids show) and is hopefully going to be previewed on the 10th June at Mad Hatters Cafe in Chester before being taken to the Edinburgh Free Fringe for 2 weeks at Cafe Camino.

If anybody has any ideas at all that might help, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Simon_Magic

Dec 29, 2011
Your current ideas sound really really good, I reckon you might be able to figure out a way to work the Queen of hearts in there, and how that set of characters is actually are referred to as a deck of cards, might be a bit tacky if you're not careful, I would have assumed you thought of this, but you didn't mention it.

Thanks Wyatt :) The characters being playing cards I am hoping to work in with some card manipulation. However I am trying to think up something to do with the Queen of hearts without it being cheesy like using a zig zag card for 'off with his head' or something like that, that is something I definitely do not want haha! I am currently re-reading the book, and I am trying to think of a way to emulate the part where Alice cries a pool of water when she is big and when becomes small again has to swim in her own tears with a mouse. There are other sections too, but I figure if I start near the beginning hopefully other ideas for everything else will follow.

Simon_Magic

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
You might be able to use a lota bowl for the tears, she cries so much it keeps refilling. Swimming in the tears is tricky.

Also a good torn and restored card could be worked along the lines of 'of with their heads.

I am a huge fan of the store and would love to see any footage of the act if you ever film it.

Colin I LOVE the idea of a Lota bowl, thats brilliant! I will hopefully try to film it if I can, I want to see how it looks too. Also coming to the conclusion that I'm gonna need a lot of different food stuffs to do this as properly as I can, just got to the point where she is stuck in the house and is too big, and the rabbit is throwing rocks at her that turn into cakes. I'm thinking I might have to make some out of play doh or something so I can re use it and not get crumbs everywhere. I must admit, some of it lends itself brilliantly to magic tricks, but a lot of it is quite tricky

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results