Alternative to the "Pinky Count"?

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey everyone.

So I've been working on the pinky count, and failing hopelessly....

I think I've found a better way (for me) to secretly count cards to prepare a lift. This probably isn't new, and if it is that's awesome too.

So with the deck in mechanics grip, flex the thumb for the count. Then release pressure a little bit to get a palm break (?). After that just press on the corner with the thumb and execute the lift.

Thoughts?

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Hey everyone.

I think I've found a better way (for me) to secretly count cards to prepare a lift. This probably isn't new, and if it is that's awesome too.

So with the deck in mechanics grip, flex the thumb for the count. Then release pressure a little bit to get a palm break (?). After that just press on the corner with the thumb and execute the lift.

Thoughts?
That would be the "thumb count" and is another method for catching a break. But if I were you, I would stick with the pinky count and try to learn it. It's tough, and takes a while, but it is soooo worth it. It's fun and makes you feel great once you get it down (I'm just working on getting it faster). Plus the pinky count is much more deceptive and useful (once you get it down).

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
ask Aaron Fisher about the Pinky Count. He hates the MUTHER. the thumb count is just as good in almost all situations and a million times easier.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
ask Aaron Fisher about the Pinky Count. He hates the MUTHER. the thumb count is just as good in almost all situations and a million times easier.

Definitely easier, but not as efficient when mastered. I will admit you'll have success a lot faster if you go with the thumb count, but in the long run, you'll be better off with the pinky count...that's my opinion at least for what it's worth.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The Thumb Count can be done down at your side on an "off beat" but the "Pinky Count" is virtually undetectable. I know a few guys who can Pinky Count up to 5 cards accurately...every time...within two seconds. It is amazing.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm with you. I can't do the pinky count for the life of me. I think I just need to develop more strength with my pinky, but I look like I'm having a stroke when I try it.

I stick with the two card push off or the thumb count for now.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I'm with you. I can't do the pinky count for the life of me. I think I just need to develop more strength with my pinky, but I look like I'm having a stroke when I try it.

I stick with the two card push off or the thumb count for now.
Actually, Giobbi even says that strength plays a secondary role. Where did you learn it out of curiosity?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I always thought that the thumb count or other ways were just as good but way easier, but after seeing how deceptive Jason England was with the pinky count, it is now on my practice list.

I want it to be invisible.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I haven't learned it properly. I have just tried to count cards with my pinky and I can barely affect the deck. Finger coordination is an issue, as well. I simply can't operate that finger independantly with any strength to do .. well, anything. Looks like a crab's legs flailing around when I try to do stuff with it.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I haven't learned it properly. I have just tried to count cards with my pinky and I can barely affect the deck. Finger coordination is an issue, as well. I simply can't operate that finger independantly with any strength to do .. well, anything. Looks like a crab's legs flailing around when I try to do stuff with it.

Ah, that would explain it. It was exactly the same way with me before I learned it properly. Believe me, once you learn the proper technique, it's way easier and actually seems possible. You should check out Card College one sometime.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's on my list. I'm working through a few others before I start the investment on the CC series. I expect to get to it next year.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm sure they're excellent. So many top guys have recommended them in interviews I've heard that I really can't pass them up. But again, I want to have a really solid foundation to build on before I conquer that particular mountain, to mix metaphors.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It depends on the situation and everything. Some guys who do the pinky count have the look like they are constipated and others are just awesome at it.

What I did when learning it is just practice while watching TV, sense it's not really a "Move" that you need to watch your hands for or anything.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I don't think it would be exposure, it's like me saying how I do the thumb count at the beginning of this post.

To scarecrow, I'm going to invest in Card College a little down the road as well. Wanted to start off with Tarbell and Paul Harris' monsters.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Hey everyone.

Thoughts?

What you are describing is in Expert Card Technique, in the chapter on sundry sleights. Its called "Transfer of thumb count break to little finger".

As many others have commented, I don't think this is better than the pinky count in terms of the effect. It's hard to do the thumb count in front of spectators invisibly and indetectably. The amount of misdirection needed makes this method very limited in terms of usability.

Now, the pinky count also needs some misdirection, but it's not as bad as a thumb count in my opinion. A fraction of a second is all you need for a double lift get ready.

Also, the pinky count is useful for much more than just a multiple lift get ready. Someone who has mastered the pinky count could easily count off 26 cards in a few seconds (You need strong fingers, but it is possible). Combine it with a memorized or stacked deck and miracles are possible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results