Always Remember To Floss by Dan Sperry

Always Remember To Floss
By​
Dan Sperry

Available At: www.anti-conjuror.com
Price: $15
Format: PDF

Effect: "The magician displays a packet of double edge straight razor blades. He removes three of
them (the effect can be done with more than three) and shows that they are indeed real by slicing through a sheet of paper. Next, he
takes out of his pocket a pack of dental floss and pulls out a strand of floss and proceeds
to ingest it. Finally he pops the razor blades into his mouth as well.

After a few moments of suspense he proceeds to pull the thread of floss from his mouth
only to display that the razor blades are now threaded onto the floss and no harm as come
to the magician’s oral cavity.

Ta’Da’."

Quality: You receive a PDF that is constructed well and includes plenty of photos. There are a few spelling mistakes in the text, but nothing that takes away from the learning experience.

The explanations are clear and, as you might expect from Dan, quite funny.

The PDF is fairly brief at 13 pages but includes all of the information you will need to perform this great effect.

Review: If you have ever studied the strung razor blades effect then you have probably come across unsafe methods, odd switches, and bulky, not to mention expensive, gimmicks. Personally, the reasons above are why I have had trouble actually using a strung razors routine in the past. However, with Always Remember To Floss, Dan has eliminated these issues.

In this routine, Dan has put forth his switch, the switch being the backbone of the strung razors routine, that plays very organically and uses a gimmick that packs extremely small. The razors never leave the audiences sight and the gimmick hides in plain site. This makes for a very natural, clean, and devilishly simple switch.

To make the gimmick you will need to purchase a few things but they are very easy to come by. If you have ever done a routine like this I would be surprised if you hadn't purchased these items in the past. If you have, however, I still suggest going out and buying the props fresh for your own ease and safety.

The gimmick is easy to create, not taking more than 10 minutes at best, and will easily fit into your pocket to be ready for performance.

In the PDF Dan talks about why he created this, namely for close-up work. That is, in my opinion, where this really shines. Many versions of the razor blades cannot be done if not in a stand-up or stage situation. The ability to work this into close-up work really makes this a work-horse type of routine.

All in all I think that this is a great handling for this classic effect and really makes the routine practical for use in your close-up work as well as stand-up and stage.

Simplicity: After purchasing the routine Dan and I talked a bit about how the simplicity of this method may turn some people away or cause them to discount this great routine. If you purchase this effect I highly recommend you see the beauty in its simplicity instead of thinking it is "too simple".

Safety: With any strung razors routine there are risks. You ARE putting razor blades into your mouth. However, if you follow Dan's instruction and employ just basic common sense, this handling is extremely safe.
As a rule, most of these routines are said to only be applicable for persons over 18 years old. I don't think this is necessarily true as there are some 14 year olds that can handle sharp objects with respect and care and there are some 30 year olds that would carve themselves up trying to make and perform this. Just take care and, if you are a minor, please ask your parents.

Is This Routine For You?
The above is one question you need to ask yourself before purchasing this or any other strung razors routine. This stuff isn't for everyone. You need to take into consideration as to whether or not this effect is for you, your character and venues. I'm sorry, but I just don't find a clean-cut 15 year old guy doing the strung razors to be convincing in any manor. Just ask yourself if chewing on razor blades is something that, first, you even WANT to do, and something your audience would even want to watch. If any of those answers is a no, then pass on this for now.

Thanks for reading,
C

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results