AM/PM :: Review

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone,

I was sent a pre-release copy of this DVD and wow... there is some good content on here! So without further ado... THE REVIEW!

AM/PM by Alex Pandrea & Jonathan Price

The DVD arrived in my mail box today, shipping only took 3 days. Pretty sweet! It comes with a custom-made label which I just had to include, because it made me feel important. (Note:: Helicopter not included)

10hoxnc.jpg

The DVD Cover looks like this:: (sorry for the flash!)

293hgjk.jpg

The back of the DVD is very nicely designed as well, with a cool logo/strip of playing cards, footage "glimpses" and descriptions of the effects. Unfortunately, the flash of the camera was too strong and made the back of the DVD look "not so good... :(" so, you'll have to buy it to see the back of the DVD, well not just to see the back, you have to buy it for the effects too!

Effects::

Local- What THEY say: "An empty matchbox becomes full in your spectator's hands. They can examine the box and matches!

What I say:: This is a very clever effect, it does use a gimmick, but it is neither hard to make, nor, impractical. I may even incorporate this into something similar to my BURN (d+M) routine.

Practicality: 8/10
Effect itself: 9/10
Difficulty:4/10

Between the Backpalms- What THEY say: "A spectator's chosen card vanishes from the deck and instantly reappears sandwiched between the magicians and spectator's empty hands.

What I say:: This effect is golden. I would have given at least 20 dollars for this effect alone! It is very well thought out, is very versatile, and get's awesome reactions... trust me on this.

Practicality: 9/10
Effect itself: 10/10
Difficulty: 6/10 *It will take some adjusting/practicing in front of a mirror!*

4OUR- What THEY say: "A quick, visual, and surprising production of four cards, using a neat two card flourish."

What I say:: I like the two card flourish, but since I already have a lot of different ways to produce a four of a kind, it's not really my cup of tea, however, the "flourish" is more of a "top-shotty" move in my opinion, but is a little bit easier and flows well with the routine. You also have to be quite skilled at misdirection in order to accomplish this effect, or, have spectators that follow YOUR hands/the main point where you are focusing the whole time.

Practicality: 10/10
Effect itself: 8/10
Difficulty: 6/10 (the "flourish" is a little bit knacky!)

The Coin Mint- What THEY say:: "A coin is borrowed, signed, quarter is transformed into a Listerine strip. The quarter is then found inside the Listerine pack!

What I say:: My copy of the DVD did not include this trick on it (unfortunately), whether it was my DVD player, or, the disc itself, I am not sure, but I may have skipped over it by accident! I will update this review later on. *Apologies*

Papermate- What THEY say:: A multi-phase pen routine with a kicker ending that they'll never see coming!

What I say:: When they say "NEVER," they MEAN "NEVER!" I was completely astonished by this routine, and the ending was just icing on the cake. Brilliantly routined, and quite versatile as well. You learn a lot of great vanishes/moves with a pen, and you can always take out/switch moves if you need to. I love maniuplating routines and this one is pefect to do.

Practicality: 8/10 (you have to go into your pocket a little bit to much in my opinion, however you can always cut the routine shorter to rid this problem!)
Effect itself: 10/10... yes, it's THAT good *limited to 11 smileys so removed it*
Difficulty: 5/10, a few angly moves that will take a little bit of getting used to, you also have to perform some moves very quickly otherwise it will be ugly... 'Nuff said.

AKT 1- What THEY say:: "An instant transposition of two four of a kinds.

What I say: It's a nice routine. Well structured, and is perfect for people who perform for the elderly, small children, or people hard of hearing. You don't need much patter for this one, the effect speaks for itself. Similar to some effects on AVENUE by Dorian Rhodell, but in my opinion, not only easier, but more practical.

Practicality: 7/10
Effect itself: 8/10 (this is nothing original, just a well-structured transposition.)
Difficulty: 6/10 (eh, a few knacky moves here and there, but overall not too bad.)

The Domino Effect- What THEY say::"A unique take on the "Coper/Silver" plot. A pink sugar packet and a white sugar packet magically switch places between the magician and the spectator's hands."

What I say:: Outstanding. Fooled me when I watched it for sure. It is very visual if you can get the change "up-to-speed," and you end very cleanly.

Practicality: 8/10
Effect itself: 10/10 *PERFECT for Restaurants/Bars*
Difficulty: 5/10 Similar to other "in the hands" transpos, you may need to practice your speed of taking out objects from spectator's hands, but it is definitely worth the practice, I GUARANTEE it *limited to 11 smileys so removed it*.

Cash Back- What THEY say:: "After the magician fails to find a selected card, he puts his money on the line in order to prevail."

What I say:: A magician (fake) failure effect. Love these. Perfect for hecklers, first, make them feel bad that they made you mess up (if they have any sort of heart they will at least feel a bit guilty/bad), but then boost up your self confidence with a kicker ending! Brilliant! Perfect for bar/restaurants.

Practicality: 9/10 (forgot to mention at the beginning, 10 is the MOST practical)
Effect itself:10/10 Awesome *thesaurus's for synonyms of awesome*
Difficulty: 7/10 *some misdirection required* not a big deal though.

Arson- What THEY say:: "A lighter vanishes into the deck to reveal a card, only to pop back out again!"

What I say:: Sort of like the "Worlds Best Card Trick" and the "Hershey Kiss" trick combined. They structured this in an outstanding way. Very well thought out. I was very inspired and made up my own variation of this, which I have already done once and it KILLED :D!

Practicality: 6/10 (the vanish of the lighter is kinda "iffy" in my opinion)
Effect itself: 9/10 (if you remove the lighter vanish and replace it with some stuff, it is better in my opinion...)
Difficulty: 4/10 (Basic sleight of hand involved, but nothing too bad at all.)

Under and Out- What THEY say:: "A selected card vanishes from under the spectator's hand under truly impossible conditions.

What I say: Impossible conditions is definetly true. It really fooled me the first time I watched it! The effect reveal is a little bit overdone in my opinion, but can be easily manipulated for less of an effect, but a much easier "load." Hard to say more without revealing anything... trust me though, it's worth it!

Practicality: 6/10 Like I said, if you cut out some stuff it works better (in my opinion, the way they did it on the DVD worked great for them though!)
Effect itself: 9/10 //very hard hitting//very nice principle!
Difficulty: 6/10

Final Thoughts::

A great buy. Real world magic, performed LIVE! Yes, LIVE performances are ALL OVER this DVD and I just LOVE that. No dinky little studio performances... The teaching is also pretty good, they have multiple angles and you see as much as you need to see/learn the effect. I perform in a restaurant so this was absolutely perfect for me *limited to 11 smileys so removed it*. The whole thing is shot in HIGH-Definition, the bloopers/outtakes are hilarious too. If you are into real-life performances//enjoy watching "street magic" don't think too hard, just buy it!

Nov 18, 2008
CA
I was interested in this from the beginning. Very nice review. I liked reading all your personal thoughts on each effect. This seems like a very diverse collection of practical effects. Definetly on my wishlist.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Since MagicSanj pretty much summed it up, I'll review my personal highlights on the DVD. All the effects on this video were pretty freakin amazing, but these are the effects that I thought were made for epic win.

On a side note, I got the first "official bootleg" of AM/PM from Kevin himself as I did not get the actual product, but a burned copy from the master DVD. I was a bit jealous that I did not get the awesome looking DVD case, but I got over it. With that said....

Local - This has got to be my favorite effect on the DVD. I met Alex a couple years ago during my spring break trip to NYC and he's been a good friend of mine ever since. I knew he was good, but I knew that he was also holding out on me. This had to be one of them. Thus I also knew that Alex was (and still is) a complete bastard for holding this back (just kidding Alex...kind of...LOL). The gimmick is deceiving and the method behind the routine is killer. He doesn't only teach the basic appearing matches, but he teaches other variations such as vanishing matches and card to matchbox, all of which use the same gimmick that you have to make.

Papermate - Another goodie from Alex. It has some elements from the original Re-capped, and it has the elements that Alex added in which makes the routine totally kick ass. I've seen him perform this routine before minus the kicker ending. I was at the bar with Alex and Magick when they came up with the original idea for the ending, which I personally would've thought was better, but this one has a truly astonishing effect on laymen when the situation is right (when you watch the DVD, you'll see what I mean). Yes the kicker ending is situational, but you'll be in that situation everyday guaranteed.

AKT 1 - First of all, I've never met Jonathan Price. But based off this effect alone, I already know that he's awesome at what he does. It's not all that difficult, but it does take some practice. I would compare the difficulty of this effect to Punk'd by Kevin Ho.

Cash Back - This was by far my favorite effect from Jonathan. Watching the performance alone almost made me crap myself because of how visual this trick is. I haven't watched the explanation for this yet, but this is something that will definitely make its way into my normal repertoire.

Between the Backpalms - this is one of the more advanced routines that also caught my eye. It's currently the one I'm practicing fulltime because of how strong the effect is. It's one of the more advanced routines both in sleights and presentation, but it'll be more than worth all the practice once anyone gets it down. Definitely not a beginner's routine.

In regards to production, I thought the video was put together quite nicely. DVD menu is easy to navigate through and the explanations are very thorough. In regards to the bloopers, unfortunately I could not view them as Kevin from NYMP sent me the first official bootleg copy of AM/PM which was burnt directly from the master copy. With it being the first official bootleg, going to the bloopers part caused the disc to vibrate heavily, thus crashing my DVD program on my macbook. Don't worry about the copies that you all have (or will) pre-ordered. I'm sure that it won't be a problem. Besides, this video is about the tricks, not the bloopers.

Overall, I can give this my highest recommendation. Not only because Kevin and Alex are my friends (though that is a small part of it), but because all the material in this video is very workable and the DVD has something for everyone.

Alex_Pandrea

Creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#a
Sep 28, 2008
New York
Hey

Sanj!! Thanks so much for the review! Im so glad you enjoyed it. Hmm i dont know what happened with "the coin mint"...did kevin contact you about that by any chance? I re-checked my disc and it seems to work without a problem. Btw, cant wait to see your variation on "Arson" :)

Sean...hehe, if you think im holding back now then woo your not going to want to see some new stuff!! not my fault u dont come to NY more often lol. :) ...But ya, local and cashback are definitely in the top of things I bring out with me when I go out they're killer!

Alex^

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Hey

Sanj!! Thanks so much for the review! Im so glad you enjoyed it. Hmm i dont know what happened with "the coin mint"...did kevin contact you about that by any chance? I re-checked my disc and it seems to work without a problem. Btw, cant wait to see your variation on "Arson" :)

Sean...hehe, if you think im holding back now then woo your not going to want to see some new stuff!! not my fault u dont come to NY more often lol. :) ...But ya, local and cashback are definitely in the top of things I bring out with me when I go out they're killer!

Alex^

I might be heading up in April...not sure yet.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
www.newyorkmagicproject.com
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

Sanj and I did trade a couple of PMs. Coin Mint is on his disc. It's just one of 2 effects on the DVD that's performed for the camera only. While all of the effects on AM/PM were filmed for audiences, during editing for 4OUR and Coint Mint, we decided that direct-to-camera performances were the best way for the home audience to see the effects. So hopefully he'll give us an update at some point about how he likes that effect as well.

For Sean's vibration issue, as he said, he received a home-made pre-release copy. I've tested other home-made discs, none of which had the issue. I also just received some "Check Discs" from the replicator, and they are absolutely perfect. So, no worries that the purchased copies will play just fine on a computer or a regular DVD player.

Keep the great feedback (and preorders) coming!

Kevin

Alex_Pandrea

Sep 28, 2008
New York
Wow, definitely looks good.
Sure these effects are that practical?

Hey!

Jon and I have been using these effects in bars and restaurants for many years now. We put the best of the best on one DVD, and we made sure all the stuff was practical! ...The great thing about these effects is that they can be adapted to any environment...making them practical not only for certain situation, but for most, if not all situations! :) Hope that helps

Alex^

P8NTBALLDADDY

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2008
San Antonio, TX
March 10th better hurry up and come. I pre-ordered mine already and I am trying to wait patiently for it. I would like to know a little more about their custom USPCC deck.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
Hi p8ntballdaddy, I'm glad you're excited for AM/PM, as I know Alex, Jon, and myself are all excited for people to start receiving the DVD and working with the material!

As for the 10th, the Nor'easter that hit up here a couple days ago put us just a bit behind on a couple of things, so it's looking like the DVD will go out just past the 10th. We're changing the site to say the 16th, just to play it safe, but I believe we'll be able to start sending out the DVD to those who preordered on the 13th or 14th.

Also, as a bit of an added bonus, Alex and Jon decided to run their Sharpies dry, as they will now be signing ALL preorders, not just the first 25.

So now the deal is that ALL preorders are signed by Alex and Jon, and receive free shipping to anywhere in the world. And 10 random preorders will be receiving a free copy of our Got a Light DVD, starring Matt Wayne.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Kevin

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I was able to put Cash Back on a test run a couple nights ago during my friend's birthday. It was at a cigar bar/club and it was kinda dark and the music was loud. I didn't exactly present it the way that Jonathan did as I couldn't really use any patter, but when I did the transformation of the dollar into the card, my friend actually spit out his drink when he saw the card. It was kinda bananas. I can't wait to put the others on a test run.

Alex_Pandrea

Sep 28, 2008
New York
I was able to put Cash Back on a test run a couple nights ago during my friend's birthday. It was at a cigar bar/club and it was kinda dark and the music was loud. I didn't exactly present it the way that Jonathan did as I couldn't really use any patter, but when I did the transformation of the dollar into the card, my friend actually spit out his drink when he saw the card. It was kinda bananas. I can't wait to put the others on a test run.

hahahah i love it. You should have filmed it!!

Alex^

Alex_Pandrea

Sep 28, 2008
New York
Uhhhhh, I really really want this, but something's stopping me! What is it!!!
Oh yes... lack of money.
Ok, I'm saving, I'm saving

Just got word that the discs are all ready and on the way to us...so all those who pre-ordered should be getting them asap :)))

Alex^

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
Just a quick note to let people know that AM/PM is now in-stock and shipping. Preorders are being shipped in the order in which they were placed, so those folks will receive theirs first.

Many thanks for the continued feedback and support!

Kevin

Sep 7, 2008
AM/PM
http://newyorkmagicproject.com/products/ampm.htm
http://vimeo.com/3291635?pg=embed&sec=

ampm.png

The Official Spam:

Jonathan Price and Alex Pandrea are two of New York's greatest underground magicians. In AM/PM they show you what real magic looks like, with 10 incredible original effects developed with real-world venues in mind. Alex and Jon use everyday props such as cards, money, sugar packets, pens, and matches to achieve stunning results.

AM/PM provides you with an arsenal of jaw-dropping magic. A mix of fully-routined magic and quick visual effects gives you the tools you need to perform successfully in any kind of venue.

Join Alex and Jonathan as they hit the streets of New York City to perform their hard-hitting magic in front of live audiences. Then follow them into the studio, where they provide detailed teaching using multiple camera angles.

-10 Stunning Routines
-On-the-Street Performances
-Studio-Filmed Explanations
-Filmed in High Definition
-Dolby Digital Sound
-Hilarious Outtakes
-Region-Free

Filmed in high-definition by the New York Magic Project, AM/PM helps you to learn great magic quickly, so you can amaze your audiences as soon as possible.

Contents

1. Local
An empty matchbox becomes full in your spectator's hands. They can examine and keep the box and matches!

2. Between the Backpalms
A spectator's selected card vanishes from the deck and instantly reappears sandwiched between the magician's and spectator's empty hands.

3. 4OUR
A quick, visual, and surprising production of four cards, using a new two-card flourish.

4. The Coin Mint
A borrowed, signed quarter is transformed into a listerine strip. The quarter is then found inside the listerine pack!

5. Papermate
A multi-phase pen routine with a kicker ending that they'll never see coming!

6. AKT I
An instant transposition of two four-of-a-kinds.

7. The Domino Effect
A unique take on the "Copper/Silver" plot. A pink sugar packet and a white sugar packet magically switch places between the magician's hand and a spectator's hand.

8. Cash Back
After the magician fails to find a selected card, he puts his money on the line in order to prevail.

9. Arson
A lighter vanishes into the deck to reveal a card, only to pop back out of the card again.

10. Under and Out
A selected card vanishes from under the spectator's hand under truly impossible conditions.

Running Time Approximately 2hr 40min

Let me just start off this review by saying I did not pay for this product, but received it free for review by the creators. Even still, this review has no bias. Also, this review is long overdue and I apologize.

There is nothing to complain about in the production quality. It’s top notch, and filmed, edited, and produced fantastically. I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

We’re going to explain what each effect is, and then directly after the explanation I am going to explain my thoughts. I should also mention before each performance on the DVD, the creator of the routine talks about the routine for a small amount of time.

Local- This has a variety of effects possible with the method. Just to name a few: An empty match box can magically become full. A box of brand new matches can all magically become burnt. A box of matches can be shown, and then later shown to be empty except for a selected card. All of that is possible with the method, and it can all be done in the spectator’s hand.

I really liked this. I think it looks great. I don’t really like the empty to full match box, but the card to match box is fantastic. I also really like the versatility of this: the magician can easily create his own routine using the given method. Also, this effect is pretty easy. It will take practice, but you should get it down in no time. I would also like to mention a similar effect that is on the market. On Bubble Gum Magic Vol. 2 DVD by Byrd and Coats there is an effect called Eclipse. Although a different effect, the methods are very alike, if not exact.

Between the Back Palms- A card is selected and lost back inside the pack. The magician places his hand out, and the spectator’s hand covers the magician’s. When the spectator lifts his/her hand, there is a card sandwiched between the two hands. The card is their selected card.

This is a neat effect using a move that is not very common in close-up performance. What the creator has done is put it into a beautifully structured and well thought out routine that is a real miracle to the spectator. The magician’s hand is empty, the spectator puts his/her hand on top, and when he/she lifts up the hand there is a card. It looks as if it just appears out of nowhere. This effect is fantastic!

4OUR- This is a simple, four ace production.

I do not like this. This looks like a lot of other ace routines. I feel it was put together quickly and there are much better ace routines/productions out there. I feel not enough thought went into this. Not only that, I feel like ace productions are not really magic, but that’s just me. I want to be a real magician, not someone who is technically skilled with a pack of cards. Finding the four aces in a manner like this screams a good card technician, but not magic.

The Coin Mint- A borrowed coin is signed by the spectator. It is rubbed, and changes to a Listerine strip. A Listerine pack is introduced, and inside is a coin. It is cleanly dumped out and it is verified to be the signed coin.

You shouldn’t create just to create. You should create because you need an effect to fit something that you put limitations on. I feel like the creator created this just to create, and he verified it himself. He says he invented a coin change, and needed a routine to go with it. That’s why he created this. I feel like he created this for the wrong reason, and I feel the effect is not good at all. First off, I really don’t like the coin change. It just doesn’t look good. His hand position is odd and unnatural, and there are much better changes out there. The premise makes sense I guess: the Listerine strip changes place with the coin. But this is not very practical. I don’t know how anyone plans to carry around Listerine strips without a box to put them in, and it’s not practical to remove a strip from the pack every time you want to perform this.

Papermate- This is a multi-phased pen routine. A pen is shoved inside the cap, taken out, vanished, and finally changed into a drinking straw.

This routine is so-so to me. I really enjoyed the way the creator pushed the pen inside the cap, and took it back out. I must admit if fooled me and looks like real magic. I do think the Flipstick move can be overused, and that is the case here. I just think he uses it so many times. Also, I don’t really love the ending. It doesn’t make sense, and doesn’t fit into the routine. Overall, I like some parts of the routine but not the others. Luckily, this can be broken down into smaller parts.

AKT I- Two four of a kinds, let’s assume the four aces and the four kings, repeatedly change places.

Another one of those unoriginal ideas. The first phase is very similar to the Cavorting Ace plot. It’s nothing original. Although it varies a little, there is little new and is basic sleight of hand. The second phase is very similar to Yannick Chretien trick called ReFlipped on his released DVD. It is also featured on Talk About Tricks Vol. 1 under the name Oil and Water. The creator also uses another move from Talk About Tricks, which I can’t recall the name or the disc number. This wasn’t bad, just not at all original.

The Domino Effect- A pink sugar packet and a white sugar packer are introduced. A spectator holds on tightly to one sugar packet, let’s say the white one. The magician literally waves his hand over the pink sugar packet, and it visually changes to white. The pink sugar packet is found inside the spectator’s closed fist.

This fooled me bad. Every time I watched it I was more and more amazed. I was thinking reels and pulls but I was wrong. This uses one gimmicked sugar packet, and is completely self contained. The method has been used before, but I haven’t seen it used in sugar packets. I really enjoy this, and find it a nice routine to do in a restaurant, with the sugar packets that are on the table. It’s a unique take on the copper/silver plot that uses ordinary objects, not foreign coins. The only downside is that one of the sugar packets can’t be examined without a switch, and it’s pretty weird for you to put a sugar packet back in your pocket, as they are naturally found on the table. Coins are different as they are foreign and rarer. I’m still debating about this one, but I have made a gimmick and practiced and performed this.

Cash Back- Money is put on the table as a ‘bet’ to make sure the magician finds the selected card. When the magician fails, he folds one of the bills into the size of a playing card, shakes it, and it changes into their selected card.

I am almost positive I have seen this method used in the exact same effect. I cannot figure out where at this moment. But I am almost positive this is not original. And in all honesty, it’s not even that great of an effect. The card cannot be handed out for examination without a switch, and I think the spectator would insist to keep the money because technically they won the bet. This one is not up to par.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results