Amp up your performance...

Mar 2, 2008
I would like to share with people who are making scripts, routines or just perfecting (arent we all?) some good ideas to make your effects the best they can be.

A great way to build up the needed presntation in a routine is suspense, and dramtic build up. Examples.

Paper clipped by jay sankey, You have the card in boxes and what not. You slowly take everything out pretneding like it was the last box or envolope, You finally get to the card re-capping on all the test conditions, open it and show the first part of the card, then pull the rest down unfolding it completey reavling the signature. Hand it out.

So in prefomance(mid way opening everything) - "and inside this box is.....(looks around) *sigh* yea anther box." If done correctly, people will be off there seats with eyes wide-opend.

That is much better then opening everything fast and saying "and oh wow its your card."

Even on coin vanishes, make the coin have a point of vanish, Don't snap and open your hand, much better to rub and slowly open each finger (also gives you time to do loads)

Tommy Wonder is great at this if you ever have time find his ACR, its great.

Make the easy seem impossable.

This goes back to re-capping, don't make it seem repetive but make sure you can get it though your audince's head that somthing amazing just happend, because the trick is a simple key card location does not mean you can jazz it up and make it seem like Mcdonalds Aces.

Talk to the audince questions "now there is no way i can know where your card is"
"One,Two,Three, peices of rope (give audince and conferming look maybe a head nod?)
"That would make..Three coins in my hand, correct? (again make jesters like its fair and nothing tricky has happend)

Be common

Have it realte to something that everyone has been through, it makes it easier for your spectetors to watch and follow. To do this, use everyday objects, money, markers, bottle/bottle caps, talk about current events, or expericnes that close to everyone witnesses. Bring up to older people about there first love, or first paying job (money transformation) Days at work/school or whatever the case is.

The end of the show

This works more on stage, when you want an aplause or even a standing ovation, these two things will get the job done.

End in aplause position, hands out, bowing ect. Also even if you don't expect the aplause, don't talk over and don't shut it down. I saw a video of Vernon and hes on a talk show, he started talking but stoped because of an unexpect aplause. Let em' clap and cheer you on.

For standing ovations, about 2/3rds into your show, you might have a audince memeber be on stage, say somthing like "Now if she can.... then i think she diserves a standing ovation?" Everyone stands and claps. The chances are at the end of your routine, people will feel the need to stand up and clap.
(credit to Martin Lewis)

This is a short list, If anyone has anything else they want to comtribute, go ahead and post it.

Jun 1, 2009
Great post, I agree with pretty much everything on here. I'm a bit to tired to add anything right now, but I will once I'm ready.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Some good thoughts. Might add one more thing: believability.

Does anyone really believe that you can profile them that a random card that they chose reflects the sort of personality that they are?

Because if they don't, then you're back to doing some cute tricks.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

that is one of the greatest ACR that I have seen.

what I like about this one, is that Tommy doesn´t rush anything, he is calm but he does a little rush when he reveals the card, I think that is his style and is great, and he speaks to the audience and that enhances his performance greatly. the trick takes the time that is nedded, not more or less

Mar 2, 2008
Some good thoughts. Might add one more thing: believability.

Does anyone really believe that you can profile them that a random card that they chose reflects the sort of personality that they are?

Because if they don't, then you're back to doing some cute tricks.

Good, keep these up, anyone want to add anything go ahead.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results