An Effect That Has Bothered Me for Four Years...

May 31, 2008
...I started magic about four years ago. My first few months consisted of looking at magic videos almost all day. There was one that really bugged me.

Strangers make up a name, dial 7 random numbers, and the person who answers has the thought of name.

After seeing this, I had a recurring dream (not making this up) that I was in a magic shop and there was a gimmicked phone that accomplished this. It was, of course, way out of my price range. I had this dream for about two weeks.

I've been filming street magic lately, and about 45 minutes ago, I had the dream again. I got on my computer and searched, trying to find the video. It took a while, but I finally found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaN3jH6otH0&feature=channel_page

Of course, I have to ask, does anyone know where I can learn this effect? A lot of people are saying that there were actors, but I'm not really sure. The pace was slightly off.

Ok, now that that is out of the way:

This is a great example of how magic can affect people. I had dreams, and four years later, without seeing, or even thinking of the video, I had the dream again.

Think about this guys, think about the impression your magic can have on people. Thanks for reading, now, I'm tired, I'm going back to sleep.

Jan 13, 2008
While I don't know where you can learn the effect, I've come up with a method for it. I got the dialing part first, and the name part after watching the second performance. Not all that difficult, but it must be pretty crazy to a spectator.

PS, it would work with any information. Imagine they think of a profession, and the person they call does that as their job. Or they think of a TV show, and the person they call is watching that show. Or they think of a number/word/whatever, they ask the person on the other end to do the same, and they end up both thinking of the same number/word/whatever.

Thanks for showing that to me. And I'd be curious if this is officially available anywhere, as I wouldn't really want to perform it, given that I wouldn't have come up with a method had I not seen that. :)

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Anyone that thinks they have a method, or at least a little bit of it, can you please PM me cuz I'm puzzled. :confused:

Jul 13, 2009
It seems that it could be plausible that they used some preshow work for the name and then possibly used two different methods to get the person to answer the phone know the name.
One method could be the Ellis's method where an assistant is there but not. Or it could be the magic of technology, I don't know its just the way I would complete this task.

Jul 8, 2009
the phone number is explainable. If the spectator never revealed the name before the call--that is unexplainable (at least to me). My hunch is that we do not see on the film where the spectator first reveals the name. If that happens there are a number of ways to get that information to the individual answering the phone.

Jul 8, 2009
Davey--I am curious. You have been thinking about this effect for years. Are you going to purchase it?

Jan 13, 2008
1. He's looking for the effect.

2. I have an idea, PM if you want it.
1. We're talking about "Cellular Mitosis" by Docc Hilford, as per his last post. :)

2. I was going to suggest the same thing, but the wolf guy already mentioned what I was thinking (pre-show work for getting the information (seeing as the beginning of the effect is conveniently left out each time), and the phone part is easy enough).

May 31, 2008
Davey--I am curious. You have been thinking about this effect for years. Are you going to purchase it?

Maybe, I don't know if I want to spend that much though, since I can get volume two "Art of Astonishment" (which I've been wanting for a while) for only a few bucks more. Also, I'm not sure if it's the exact same effect. In this guy's version it is a name and a random number, not a number from the phonebook.

Edit:

I just found a review for "Cellular Mitosis"

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=1759

I thought of a method for the number, but not the name. Judging by Mitchell's review, the methods are different. I'm going to pass on "Cellular Mitosis" and get volume two of AoA. I'm going to continue trying to come up with a method for the effect though. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2009
UK
The Ultimate Phone Prediction

Maybe, I don't know if I want to spend that much though, since I can get volume two "Art of Astonishment" (which I've been wanting for a while) for only a few bucks more. Also, I'm not sure if it's the exact same effect. In this guy's version it is a name and a random number, not a number from the phonebook.

Edit:

I just found a review for "Cellular Mitosis"

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=1759

I thought of a method for the number, but not the name. Judging by Mitchell's review, the methods are different. I'm going to pass on "Cellular Mitosis" and get volume two of AoA. I'm going to continue trying to come up with a method for the effect though. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's a Telephone Prediction you might like using Cards: http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p3123/Ul...J_Dowden_-_INSTANT_DOWNLOAD/product_info.html

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results